Windows 10: windows firewall is blocking windows update

Discus and support windows firewall is blocking windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; how to configure in windows firewall so windows update service can connect to internet? thx... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J. Wu, Jul 28, 2018.

1. J. Wu Win User

windows firewall is blocking windows update

how to configure in windows firewall so windows update service can connect to internet? thx

:)

J. Wu, Jul 28, 2018
  2. Arctucas Win User

Windows Firewall blocking websites

I have blocked IP addresses, e.g. 255.255.255.255, not URLs, e.g. somewebsite.co m.

As far as unblocking, look at your Windows Firewall rules. Do you see anything that is blocked? If you do, click on the Scope tab and see what is listed there.

Arctucas, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Windows Firewall blocking websites

Windows Firewall can't block specific websites, only port numbers (HTTP uses 80 or 8080). More likely, Windows Firewall is blocking the Windows Update Service or some other critical update application and/or port number that prevents updates from happening.

As twilyth pointed out, this is abnormal and likely caused by some form of malware. If you even found a the offending rule in Windows Firewall, the malware will likely put it back to the way it was within seconds.

Does http://download.microsoft.com open for you? It should redirect a few times and end up at: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx

Have you tried to ping download.microsoft.com? I did it a few times so you should be able to get a response off it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 28, 2018
  4. Arctucas Win User

Windows Firewall blocking websites

I do not wish to confuse the issue, but yes, Windows Firewall is able block specific IP addresses. I have about two dozen blocked right now.

Arctucas, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

1. windows firewall is blocking windows update - Similar Threads - firewall blocking update

2. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update were blocked by the firewall: I have noticed the our firewall been blocking and flagging the following file as virus/ infected files, but can't seem to find much resources on this behaviour.filename= msodbcsql_3be4cf889ad6c6334b15ac136d57321cbca28026.exemsg="File is infected." service="HTTP"...
  3. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update were blocked by the firewall: I have noticed the our firewall been blocking and flagging the following file as virus/ infected files, but can't seem to find much resources on this behaviour.filename= msodbcsql_3be4cf889ad6c6334b15ac136d57321cbca28026.exemsg="File is infected." service="HTTP"...
  4. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Firewall block outbound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Firewall block outbound?: Anyone ever manage to put together a working windows firewall policy to block outbound traffic to private & public networks on Windows 10? We're working on Always On VPN, using a device tunnel & 'ForceTunnel'. Microsoft defines 'ForceTunnel' as: All traffic except for local...
  6. Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update: Hi, all. I just joined minutes ago. My Windows 10 Firewall blocks my Defender from downloading new definitions (WTF???). It used to work fine. If I turn off Firewall, it updates no problem. I've created as many inbound and outbound rules as I can think of for all of the...
  7. Windows firewall blocks ipv6

Windows firewall blocks ipv6: I use the newest windows 10 and have both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses on my pc. When I make a outbound rule for blocking some ipv4 addresses, I can't visit any ipv6 websites. The browser says "Your Internet access is blocked". When I delete the rule, everything is ok. I think a...
  8. Windows firewall blocks wuapihost.exe...?

Windows firewall blocks wuapihost.exe...?: On my Surface Pro 3 running W10x64pro (upgraded from W8.1) I just now got a dialog pop up that Windows firewall has blocked some features of C:\Windows\System32\wuapihost.exe. The dialog wants me to allow (or cancel) wuapihost on public networks (this option is checked) and...
  9. Amazon music windows firewall block

Amazon music windows firewall block: I was installing updates of Amazon Music and I got that windows. Should I allow access or not? It's a desktop at home. [img] 90899
  10. Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates: I have a few PC's and they have multiple connections to the internet. These connections appear on each PC as a different network. One of the connections is very expensive and metered, so I don't want Windows updating when the primary connection is down and the secondary only...