Windows 10: Windows firewall not asking for permissions for server services.

Discus and support Windows firewall not asking for permissions for server services. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I have been a windows user ever since I remember and whenever I wanted to host a server, I always got a firewall prompt asking me whether I want... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by erik9631, Feb 24, 2019.

1. erik9631 Win User

Windows firewall not asking for permissions for server services.

Hello. I have been a windows user ever since I remember and whenever I wanted to host a server, I always got a firewall prompt asking me whether I want allow the application to access the internet. I always clicked yes and everything worked, until recently.
    I am not sure which update of windows 10 introduced this, but this is not the case anymore. I was trying to host a server yesterday and I spent 45 minutes troubleshooting the problem, until I finally decided to look into the task manager > network monitoring, only to see that internet access for the application was restricted.
    I never considered this a problem, because it was a natural thing for me to automatically allow access whenever I was prompted.

Needless to say, I created new rules for inbounding and outbounding connections and it all worked as it should, however it is more comforting for me clicking a button, than going to the firewall settings and clicking through the rules set-up each time I want to host a different service like a mad man.

Is there a way to re-enable this setting? Could someone help me with that.
    Thanks a lot.

:)

erik9631, Feb 24, 2019

2. Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Windows firewall not asking for permissions for server services. :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Windows Firewall will not turn on. It keeps asking me to turn on McAfee firewall because I have it installed but it won't turn on.

Hello Ethan,

Noting the details that you have provided.

The error in Turning on the Windows Firewall can be caused by conflicts between programs and software.

The first thing we’re going to try is to restart the Firewall service. If something disrupted the work of your Firewall, restarting the service will likely bring it back to normal. To restart Windows Firewall service, do the following:

• Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services.
    • Look for Windows Firewall.
    • Right-click on it, and choose Restart.
    • Wait until the process is finished.
    • Now, right-click on Windows Firewall, and go to Properties.
    • Make sure Startup type: is set to Automatic.

If restarting the Firewall service didn’t get the job done, let's try another methods to fix this.

Let's try performing a registry tweak and see if it would do the trick. Here is how:

• Go to Search, type regedit, and open Registry Editor
    • Go to the following path:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM/CurrentControl/Setservices/BFE
    • Right Click on BFE, and choose Permissions
    • Click on ADD, and type Everyone
    • Click OK.
    • Now, click on Everyone, and check Full Control, under Permissions for Everyone.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know how things go so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows firewall not asking for permissions for server services. - Similar Threads - firewall asking permissions

2. WINDOWS 11 FIREWALL KEEPS ASKING FOR PERMISSION EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 FIREWALL KEEPS ASKING FOR PERMISSION EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PC: I left my computer on its own for an hour and when I came back a game valorant and some websites weren't working on my end even when some websites such as youtube or google meet work perfectly fine with no issues. I resolved the issue by changing my DNS server, but everytime...
  3. Ask For Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ask For Permissions: So Um These Few Days Im Getting theseEven tho im not in a family It shows for most of the Build in apps Such as Snip and sketch Camera Photos etc...Pls Help anyone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ask-for-permissions/b693d7f5-e919-479a-a836-aee5096285dd
  4. Asking permission

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Asking permission: Every time i try go into certain websites it tells me i need permission to get into them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asking-permission/497b942a-eb28-4de9-95b5-e56262ff630e
  5. Asking about firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking about firewall: Today I started to use Avast firewall instead of windows firewall. Can Avast firewall make any privacy harm to my data or PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/asking-about-firewall/c777989d-4089-4d10-a0cb-25fd59932ceb
  6. Asking permission

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Asking permission: I just logged on to my new computer with my Microsoft account which is an adult account btw and it keeps making me ask for permission and when I click ask for permission it says that something went wrong and it's trying it'sits trying fix it...
  7. windows firewall service

windows firewall service: how to get rid of the following The package could not be installed because the windows firewall service in not running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-firewall-service/74651b07-c579-457d-b4b3-f252053e9319
  8. Broken firewall, Windows services falling apart, denied permissions

Broken firewall, Windows services falling apart, denied permissions: Hi there, this is my first post in Microsoft's forums ! I hope everyone's doing good. I'm here because I have a lot of issues with my brand new Windows and computer, after leaving Apple. It's been a few months now and I'm really struggling. so a few months back when I...
  9. RDP asking for firewall rule when there is no firewall

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP asking for firewall rule when there is no firewall: So I'm trying to enable RDP on a Windows 10 box and when I do it tells me I need to enable a firewall rule for port 3389, which I would but I'm not using a firewall, its completely disabled. Do I have to use a firewall in order to set the rule or am I missing something???...
  10. firewall services

firewall services: Latest build. Running ESET free. Anybody else got the same info showing, doesn't appear to be a problem thou. Roy 8925