Windows 10: Windows firewall not logging packets

Discus and support Windows firewall not logging packets in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to troubleshoot firewall but it doesn't generate logs. I use firewall policy from local group policy and logging is enabled there. things I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hammerman, Oct 18, 2018.

1. hammerman Win User

Windows firewall not logging packets

I need to troubleshoot firewall but it doesn't generate logs.
    I use firewall policy from local group policy and logging is enabled there.

things I tried so far:
    change log file path to E:/logs/firewall_log.txt
    create file manually

:)

hammerman, Oct 18, 2018

2. Windows Firewall drop but don't record the packet discarded.

Hi, Fabio

We certainly want to get this taken care of, please follow the instructions on how to configure the Windows Firewall log:

1. Open the Group Policy Management Console to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

2. In the details pane, in the Overview section, click Windows Firewall Properties.

3. For each network location type (Domain, Private, Public), perform the following steps.

a. Click the tab that corresponds to the network location type.

b. Under Logging, click Customize.

c. The default path for the log is %windir%\system32\logfiles\firewall\pfirewall.log. If you want to change this, clear the Not configured check box and type the path to the new location, or click Browse to select a file location.

Important

The location you specify must have permissions assigned that permit the Windows Firewall service to write to the log file.

d. The default maximum file size for the log is 4,096 kilobytes (KB). If you want to change this, clear the Not configured check box, and type in the new size in KB, or use the up and down arrows to select a size. The file will not grow beyond this size;
    when the limit is reached, old log entries are deleted to make room for the newly created ones.

e. No logging occurs until you set one of following two options:

*To create a log entry when Windows Firewall drops an incoming network packet, change Log dropped packets to Yes.

*To create a log entry when Windows Firewall allows an inbound connection, change Log successful connections to Yes.

f. Click OK twice.

Regards.

Jomari Arc, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Windows firewall not logging packets

windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows firewall not logging packets

1. Windows firewall not logging packets - Similar Threads - firewall logging packets

2. Problem logging Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem logging Windows Firewall: Hello!I've got a small problem: I can't activate the logging option for windows firewall:In this window I've enabled both options for logging.The log file does not show anything AND the Properties in the "Monitoring" Tab show this:Even after rebootingThanks for reading!...
  3. Problem logging Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem logging Windows Firewall: Hello!I've got a small problem: I can't activate the logging option for windows firewall:In this window I've enabled both options for logging.The log file does not show anything AND the Properties in the "Monitoring" Tab show this:Even after rebootingThanks for reading!...
  4. Problem logging Windows Firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. packet loss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    packet loss: how can i stop getting packet loss in the games i play im one a wired connection and i already contacted my internet provider and they said everything was good https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/packet-loss/d0b7b7f2-121e-4fac-9d73-8e4933b61cea
  6. Where are the Windows 10 home firewall logs?

Where are the Windows 10 home firewall logs?: Hi all: For Windows 10 Home OS, where are the Windows 10 home firewall logs please? There is no firewall.log at the root of c:\windows\system32. None of these directories have a firewall folder or firewall.log: C:\Windows\Logs directory C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles...
  7. Windows 10 Firewall logging on domain profile.

Windows 10 Firewall logging on domain profile.: I am working on turning on the domain profile for Windows 10 via gpo. We have a relatively large environment and this has not been turned on for the domain profile in the past. So the current plan is turn on the Firewall with Policy and create an Any/Any rule for inbound...
  8. Windows 10 Firewall logging

Windows 10 Firewall logging: I am working on turning on the domain profile for Windows 10 via gpo. We have a relatively large environment and this has not been turned on for the domain profile in the past. So the current plan is turn on the Firewall with Policy and create an Any/Any rule for inbound...
  9. looking for a log viewer/analyzer to read the Windows firewall log

looking for a log viewer/analyzer to read the Windows firewall log: I've just started to log my firewall connections. I'm looking for a log viewer/analyzer to read the log. What is everybody's favorite. A big plus for free or cheap software, open source or proprietary, don't matter to me. But I'm willing to pay if it can provide really good...
  10. windows firewall logging

windows firewall logging: hello how can i create a new log file, this is what happens when its cleaned ffs, all my log files deleted!, my firewalls blocked the log me in rescue too...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 2016 firewall log not showing dropped packets

2. windows 7 firewall log not working

3. window firewall log not showing all packets

4. windows firewall not logging all packets,
  5. windows firewall log packet size,
  6. windows firewall not logging dropped packets