Windows 10: Windows firewall rendering computers unusable

Discus and support Windows firewall rendering computers unusable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have four or five computers, different brands, all of which are running Windows 10 Pro, either 1803 or 1809. Windows Firewall is rendering these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ACJY, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ACJY Win User

Windows firewall rendering computers unusable

I have four or five computers, different brands, all of which are running Windows 10 Pro, either 1803 or 1809. Windows Firewall is rendering these computers completely unusable when on WiFi. Some are desktops, some are laptops.

When connected to -any- WiFi connection, either at work or at home, internet download speed as measured by speedtest - either the app or the website - is in the 0.0 (zero) to 0.02 Mbps range. Webpages can take 15 minutes to load, if they ever load at all.

If I disable Windows firewall for the network type (domain at work, private at home) internet speeds return to normal. Turning firewall back on will return the speed back to next to nothing.

All graphics drivers have been updated. The network drivers have all been updated. Every current patch published has been installed. SFC and DISM scans have been performed. DNS settings have been verified. Network performance monitor has been checked. The WiFi connections are working properly as other devices on the same networks do not experience the issue. The adapters have been completely uninstalled including the drivers deleted and reloaded. netsh reset has been attempted.

Is there a fix for this issue?

:)

2. Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Apr 23, 2019
  3. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Apr 23, 2019
  4. Windows firewall rendering computers unusable

windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Apr 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows firewall rendering computers unusable

1. Windows firewall rendering computers unusable - Similar Threads - firewall rendering computers

2. Windows 10 updates, undoing changes, rendering PC unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 updates, undoing changes, rendering PC unusable: I know this has come up elsewhere. I have tried all the recommended solutions including running services.msc to disable updates but Windows simply overrated and initiates the updates anyway. Installing the changes and undoing them ties up the computer for up to three hours...
  3. Windows 10 updates, undoing changes, rendering PC unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates, undoing changes, rendering PC unusable: I know this has come up elsewhere. I have tried all the recommended solutions including running services.msc to disable updates but Windows simply overrated and initiates the updates anyway. Installing the changes and undoing them ties up the computer for up to three hours...
  4. Windows 10 updates, undoing changes, rendering PC unusable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recent update rendered my pc unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent update rendered my pc unusable: Pc was working fine last night until I restarted to install a new update. Update failed and pc rolled back to the prior version. Since then, on startup I'm either greeted by a black screen that I can move the cursor around in, but do nothing else, or after I've entered my...
  6. Recent update rendered my pc unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent update rendered my pc unusable: Pc was working fine last night until I restarted to install a new update. Update failed and pc rolled back to the prior version. Since then, on startup I'm either greeted by a black screen that I can move the cursor around in, but do nothing else, or after I've entered my...
  7. Recent update rendered my pc unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Memory diagnostic rendered windows unusable.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory diagnostic rendered windows unusable.: After using the memory diagnostic from windows, my system rebooted with a messed up OS. First thing, my pin to log in wasn’t found, it took my password. After that I tried to open setup to fix pin issue, but setup will not open! File explorer doesnt open, and wi-fi...
  9. Jan 21st, 2021 Major issues with latest updates - Renders Computers Unusable

Jan 21st, 2021 Major issues with latest updates - Renders Computers Unusable: I can guarantee this is a major issue this time. I have two HP laptops less than a year old - both got into the blue screen error Kernal Security Check in last 48 hrs. Tried all kinds of fixes - nothing worked the error kept coming back. The only solution on both machines was...
  10. 2004 Update Renders PC unusable

2004 Update Renders PC unusable: Updated to Windows 10 version 2004 last night and now the PC is nearly unusable. It took more than 14 hours. When I'm able to run the Task Manager, I see that only 5% of CPU, 32% of RAM, and 2% of Disk SSD is being used. I have over 380 GB of disk space, so none of those...