Windows 10: Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus

Discus and support Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been having this problem for maybe a month and a half now, and have only recently seriously begun attempting to solve it. During normal use of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AerisSigil, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus

I have been having this problem for maybe a month and a half now, and have only recently seriously begun attempting to solve it. During normal use of any application, be it games, coding software like GMS2, or any other application that has my focus, my focus will be taken away from that application with no indication of what stole the focus. This results in me typing and having my text not appear because focus is lost and minimization of games in the middle of play often resulting in crashes. Yesterday I downloaded "Windows Focus Logger" from Adminscope to get a look at the problem. I left an application running and came back after it was minimized, and was told that a process named "PMA" had stolen focus several times.

The only major changes I've made to my computer have been the installation of an Epson Workforce WF-2860 printer. I have seen a claim online that installation of one of the printer's programs solved the problem, but they did not specify what program.

What is PMA? How do I found out where it is, and how do I stop it? I'll be happy to provide any additional information as requested.

:)

AerisSigil, Feb 25, 2019
  2. SimonS Win User

How to catch a process that steals window focus

One of my co-workers loses focus on his current window each like 5 minutes or so. Now I'm wondering which process steals the focus

I found this cool application focus.exe which will list the current foreground window - the window which has the focus.

Whenever the focus was stolen, the program printed this information:

As you can see the focus gets stolen by a process that could not been opened, so this information doesn't help me that much. What helps me, is that it still logs the processes PID.

So i wrote a little PowerShell Oneliner which should catch every new process that get's created and should output the process information:

But this didn't catch any of the PID's focus.exe pointed out.

How can I catch processes that couldn't been started, but still got a PID?

SimonS, Feb 25, 2019
  3. IrvS Win User
    Random explorer.exe stealing focus

I'm also seeing something stealing focus, but only ONCE after booting.

I too could be browsing something and all of a sudden the mouse wheel no long will scroll the page? Clicking on Firefox will get it working again. If I were trying something on a web page, all of a sudden no letters appear and sometimes I'd hear a bing as well. Again, click on the window and I'm working again.

Today I had Thunderbird up and was doing a reply. Same deal, lost focus BUT the main TB windows came up on top. Don't thing that was the real problem because normally it isn't the first thing I open.

This happens ONLY within the first few minutes and only once per boot. I suspect something else is doing, possibly a program doing an update or update check? TB does one but I think only when run, not when it isn't?

I've use Windows Focus Logger (Adminscope.com | Tooling to make IT work easier) which is for W10 and I've never captured the switch? Will try the Focus program though.

Never had this problem in W8.1 and my wife's W10 doesn't exhibit this problem either?

4. empleat Win User

Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus

turn off focus stealing

Hey,
    how do i turn off focus stealing ?
    i have already in regedit under ForegroundLockTimeout set 30d40, but still when i am in game for example, pop out windows steal focus and minimizes the game.
    I don't know about anything else.
    Is there any way how to turn this off.
    Thank you very much.

empleat, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus

1. Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus - Similar Threads - Focus Logger Indicates

2. Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus: I was playing video games on my computer when suddenly it paused for no reason. Thinking this was a random one-time occurance, I kept playing. However, the game paused again, and again after that. I thought that the game was losing focus, so I went to settings and turned off...
  3. Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus: I was playing video games on my computer when suddenly it paused for no reason. Thinking this was a random one-time occurance, I kept playing. However, the game paused again, and again after that. I thought that the game was losing focus, so I went to settings and turned off...
  4. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  5. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  6. Black Window Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Window Stealing Focus: First off, from what I can tell this is some sort of window. Windows can display over top of it, but only by bringing up or forcing the OS to show a window or item by hovering mouse over taskbar icon. The black window also is not fullscreen as anything being displayed behind...
  7. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  8. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  9. Windows Updater Steals Focus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updater Steals Focus: When playing games via Steam every hour or so the game would mysteriously minimize or at the very least drop out of full screen for a couple of seconds. After a lot of research and debugging I was able to track the problem down to Windows Updater stealing focus. This is...
  10. turn off focus stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off focus stealing: Hey, how do i turn off focus stealing ? i have already in regedit under ForegroundLockTimeout set 30d40, but still when i am in game for example, pop out windows steal focus and minimizes the game. I don't know about anything else. Is there any way how to turn this off. Thank...