Windows 10: Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

Discus and support Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by martin10, Jan 12, 2016.

1. martin10 Win User

Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few browsers, very little else is installed, yet I only have 11.7GB left?

One reason may be the size of the Windows folder:
    Size 14.7GB
    Size on Disk 9.91GB

From my calculations, Windows appears to be using the higher figure in determining available disk space.

Why is 'Size' so much greater than 'Size on Disk', can I do anything about it? I have a similar 8.1 machine, it does not have this disparity (12.4GB and 12.3GB).

What would be a normal 'Size' for a Windows folder on Windows 10 Home PC very recently upgraded from 8.1 i.e. with few, if any Windows live updates run ?

:)

martin10, Jan 12, 2016

2. How to free up disk space in Windows

Hi, I am using windows 10 with 150 GBs of disk space. I found that the windows' folder is about 50 GBs, which is far greater than the listed in the system specification. I did disk cleanup and limited the disk usage by system restore to 6 GBs and still
    has the great size of windows on the disk. can you help me with this, please?

Ali Alalfy, Jan 12, 2016
  3. blitzkid Win User
    Can't send MMS on Nokia C7

The video clip though reduced to five seconds, the size of the clip may be greater than 300kb. Check the properties of the video to see its size... If the format is of large size try converting it to some other format with smaller size. Then try sending
    it via mms.

blitzkid, Jan 12, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

Archie123, Jan 12, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Actually Windows isn't using either 14.7 GB or 9.91 GB numbers. Both of those are at best only an approximation. The only number Windows cares about is that reported in the volume properties which will always be exact. Numbers based on usage of individual folders take time to produce and can never be anything other than an approximation in any modern file system.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk - Similar Threads - Folder Size greater

2. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  3. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Folder size bigger than its Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder size bigger than its Disk Space: Hi,I am facing an interesting issue wherein the size of a Drive is 300 GB. But the folder inside it which contains all data is showing a 405 GB. Not sure where the extra 100 GB has come from . I am finding this issue on a VM I had created and using . The Drive actually holds...
  6. Folder size bigger than its Disk Space

Folder size bigger than its Disk Space: Hi,I am facing an interesting issue wherein the size of a Drive is 300 GB. But the folder inside it which contains all data is showing a 405 GB. Not sure where the extra 100 GB has come from . I am finding this issue on a VM I had created and using . The Drive actually holds...
  7. Size and Size on disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  8. Help with The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect...: I have been getting this error and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it : The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer...
  9. Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32.

Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32.: As we all know maximum partition size in Windows is 32GB if fat32. This is oddly a Windows limit, not a fat32 limit There are various 3rd party tools that will format large drives as fat32. Today, I needed to format a 64GB drive as fat32 as I needed it to be bootable,...
  10. Storage bug? summary capacity & usage greater than disk/partition size

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage bug? summary capacity & usage greater than disk/partition size: re Settings -> System -> Storage It seems as though Windows 10 can add some, but not necessarily all new or detected partitions to an aggregate capacity under the label This PC (C: ) Even if the partitions are empty NTFS or RAW (inc. Linux Swap?) also include them as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows size greater than size on disk