Windows 10: Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher?

Discus and support Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have two differently sized monitors (rez wise, I have a 1440p predator and a benq 1080p). The way I have been having this you know- not be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SirCabbage, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher?

So I have two differently sized monitors (rez wise, I have a 1440p predator and a benq 1080p).

The way I have been having this you know- not be terrible- is that I have been upscaling both monitors to be closer to each other's resolution using the inbuilt nvidia tools.

This was working fine for- months. But now after the most recent update (1903 according to my update history) I can no longer do this. When I try to change the resolution (either in the display options or in the nvidia control panel) it just changes back and tells me that windows can't set my resolution to that amount.

My first port of call was to reinstall my drivers for my 2080ti- which is apparently also the first suggestion by most people having this problem... but nothing. Updating my driver did nothing to allow me to apply the supersampling based resolutions.

Has anyone else had this issue recently? What was the fix? It is really bugging me to have both my monitors running in such a different resolution. Dragging windows between screens is- clunky- and everything I had set up to display on larger resolutions naturally now looks massive. I really want to fix this up- any advice?

submitted by /u/SirCabbage
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SirCabbage, Nov 16, 2019

2. Cant get higher than 1366X768 resolution

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community and for your interest on Windows 10.

I can understand the inconvenience that you are facing with the issue. We are here to help you.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Change Resolution.

Follow below steps to change resolution.

• Type Display Settings in search bar.

• Go to Display Settings, and select Advance Sizing of text and other settings under Related Settings.

• Go to Adjust Resolution and go to Resolution.

• Change the Resolution as per requirement, Click on Ok.

• Check weather changes are reflecting or not.
    If you are unable to change resolution then update Display Drivers and try to change the resolution.

Method 2:

Further, if there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then trying installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Method 3: Un-install and re-install latest display drivers from the manufacturer’s website and see if that helps:

Step 1: Follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Key + X” from the keyboard.

• Type “device Manager” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

• Right click on the display drivers and select
      “Uninstall”.

• Restart the computer once it is uninstalled.

Step 2: To install it in the compatibility mode, follow these steps:

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

a) Download the latest display
      driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b) Right-click on the audio driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu.

d) Now proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer.

This information should help. If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please post. We will be happy to help you.

Thanks and regards.

Jenith_James, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Screen Resolution too big

Hello,

Firstly, try to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it fixes the issue.

I suggest you to change the screen resolution settings and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type Change Screen Resolution and click on the option listed.
    • Under resolution try changing the resolution settings.

Also try to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website and check.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher?

Change resolution without seeing

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below. Check if it helps.

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Click on settings
    • Go to Display
    • Click on Advance display settings
    • Change the resolution (1280x1024 recommended)

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

To enter into low-resolution mode
    in Windows 10 in change the settings in it, follow the steps given below.

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher?

1. Windows forced an update last night- now I can't change my resolution higher? - Similar Threads - forced update last

2. How to force higher resolution on display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force higher resolution on display?: Hi all,I have a Dell laptop with a i7-8650U CPU, which means it comes with Intel's UHD 620 graphics, which, according to the specs in Dell's User Manual, will support up to 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz over an HDMI 2.0 interface.I also have a 30-inch monitor which is capable of 2560 x...
  3. How to force higher resolution on display?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force higher resolution on display?: Hi all,I have a Dell laptop with a i7-8650U CPU, which means it comes with Intel's UHD 620 graphics, which, according to the specs in Dell's User Manual, will support up to 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz over an HDMI 2.0 interface.I also have a 30-inch monitor which is capable of 2560 x...
  4. I installed an update last night and now my keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed an update last night and now my keyboard and mouse don't work: It's not a problem with the keyboard or mouse, because they work in BIOS and on the recovery screen, but nothing works once windows boots up, even in safe mode. I just need a way to roll back the update but I literally cannot interact with my computer once windows boots up....
  5. Forcing higher "resolution"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forcing higher "resolution": submitted by /u/eternal_peril [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3fdec/forcing_higher_resolution/
  6. Windows 10 forced update last night ruined my Office fonts, now blurry and ClearType didnt...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 forced update last night ruined my Office fonts, now blurry and ClearType didnt...: I had to undo the color changes on the task bar and tabs too, but still stuck with the blurry fonts in Outlook/Word/Excel after tuning ClearType. 1 How do I make them go back to normal? 2 Why would you do code an update that changes my perfectly fine font settings without...
  7. I can't make my resolution higher

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't make my resolution higher: I want everything on my laptop to be smaller. So I opened settings and went to the Resolution settings, and it wouldn't let me go any higher! I tried Control Panel but couldn't find resolution settings. How can I make it higher?...
  8. Windows update last night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  9. Did Windows update last night now no network or desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Did Windows update last night now no network or desktop: Hi, I have an HP with Windows 7 updated to Windows 10. All has been fine with the computer until i finally did Windows Update last night. That took so long I kept computer and went to bed. This morning I wake up to a computer not opening showing the picture below....
  10. Windows update last night - laptop not working now

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows update last night - laptop not working now: Hi.. So, my lenovo Z51 was working perfectly, however last night Windows updated and today.. It's not working. When I turn on the laptop the first error pops up just before I type in my login details. Ctfmon.exe - sucess Unknown hard error I then click OK and it says...