Windows 10: Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back.

Discus and support Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, A little while ago when I tried to install Reach through the Microsoft play store it forced me to change my default saved location from my D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DoPlusSea, Jan 4, 2020.

1. DoPlusSea Win User

Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back.

Hey,

A little while ago when I tried to install Reach through the Microsoft play store it forced me to change my default saved location from my D: drive where all my other games Sea of Thieves, Forza, ect. are located to my S: drive, my windows drive only. I don't know why it forced me to do it for Reach when other games from the store were already saved on a different drive with space. I go to change it back and I just keep getting the same error, not matter what programs I close I have no anti-virus installed besides windows defender and I closed EVERY app I could in task manager with no luck changing it back. Now my S: drive, only a 128gb drive is constantly near full and since its the default save location it fills up every other day or two and I have to go and delete random files. The constant "drive near full" pop-ups are getting out of hand and I all I want to do is change the default app storage BACK to my D: drive where it was originally. I attached a screenshot of the error and the page. I try to switch it every single day I've logged on for about the past two weeks with the same message. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back. 75c54170-579c-4a5b-a7dc-f9a9f4363bf4?upload=true.png

:)

DoPlusSea, Jan 4, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Luke38 Win User

How to actually change the default save location

The question is “Is there any way to actually change the default save location” for Documents especially? I apologize for the description but most of it is relevant to the question.

So I just recently did a clean install for the 1709 update and when through the what’s new and saw the “change where new content is saved”… not understanding why only the drive instead of an actual directory but maybe?!
    Anyway, I started the normal ritual of fighting windows to get things where I would like instead of where they would like it. So I:

• Moved the OneDrive location after my initial logon forced it in the OS drive
    • Turned the OneDrive autosave for everything to “This PC Only”
    • Moved Documents, Downloads, etc by going to Properties -> Location
    • Changed the Settings Storage Locations to the drive where things actually are
    • Changed the Temp Environment Variables to a drive that is cleared during a restart
    • Created junctions for things like user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    • Installed programs then changed the save locations as needed
    • Did other tedious things that I really shouldn’t need to do if there was a place that I could change the default save location
    After the installs I sat down to watch football while playing a game or handling some little stuff when I see my game saves and word docs being saved to the
    OneDrive Documents folder instead of the PC Documents folder like they should be. After looking through things for way to long I changed the OneDrive autosaves to “OneDrive” then back to “This PC Only”. Now
    every Microsoft product is back pointing to C:/user/Documents after creating a folder that previously did not exist instead of going to the default document location located on a different drive.

Don’t get me wrong OneDrive it great I just don’t want things that I only use on my main PC cluttering it up.

Any bets on the first response directing me to Settings -> Storage -> Change where new content is saved.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Luke38, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back. - Similar Threads - forced change default

2. Changing the default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  3. Unable to install and change default app save location.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install and change default app save location.: Hi, I have an issue where I am unable to install games from the microsoft store on my D: drive. When I got to the store and install try to install a game I will select my D: drive and press install but nothing will happen.I then tried to change deafult install location of...
  4. Can not change default save location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not change default save location: I am trying to change my default save location so i can save games to my other drive. My pc is not allowing me to do so. Says there are apps on the drive from another device and must be deleted first. Then gives me an error code 0x80070005. Any ideas what to do here?...
  5. Can't change default apps location

Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. Can't change app save location

Can't change app save location: Hello, I recently needed to reinstall my Windows 10. I used to have my applications saved on my D: drive instead of C: Since I have reinstalled Windows I can't change it back to D: [ATTACH][ATTACH] I've heard it doesn't work because I still have my old apps in that,...
  7. I can't change my default app save location

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change my default app save location: i tried to change my default app save location from my C to my D drive, whenever i try this a message pops up saying "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" When i click no nothing happens...
  8. Change default save location to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  9. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  10. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...