Windows Forgets Network Type after Router Reboot

Discus and support Windows Forgets Network Type after Router Reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I have set my router to reboot nightly. I do this to kick off all VPN users and force them to reconnect in the morning. Not important why here...there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sbordenet, Jun 12, 2018.

1. sbordenet Win User

I have set my router to reboot nightly. I do this to kick off all VPN users and force them to reconnect in the morning. Not important why here...there are work reasons.

Whenever the router reboots, my internal (and external VPN) computers will still connect with the same network settings, but they reset the network type to Public. Also, the network name will have an added factor (DSB_2.4 becomes DSB_2.4 1, then DSB_2.4 2, DSB_2.4 3, DSB_2.4 4, etc.).

Is this normal? Is there a way to force the "NEW" network (after router reboot) to be seen as the "OLD" and maintain a private status?

:)

sbordenet, Jun 12, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

wireless conection to router

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know the following information:

• Are you able to see the router's name in the wireless networks list?
    • Are you able to connect to the router but unable to connect to the Internet?
    • Do you receive any error message when connecting to the router? If yes, what is the exact error message that you receive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands,
    Temporarily turn off firewalls
    and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Likhitha V Win User
    Unable connect to WEP Security Router

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you get any error message when you try to connect to the network?
    • Are you able to connect to other devices using similar router?

Method 1: If you are able to connect to other devices using the same router, i suggest you to run the troubleshooters by following the steps below:

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    internet connection troubleshooter
    by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Internet Connections, click on
      Advanced and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: Also run the network adapter troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Network Adapter,
      click on Advanced and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to
    update the network adapter driver from device manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand the Network adapter driver from the list.
    • Right click on the driver and click on Update option.
    • Restart the PC to install the network adapters automatically and check if the changes are effective.

Also check from the manufacturer’s website if you are using updated network adapter.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows Forgets Network Type after Router Reboot - Similar Threads - Forgets Network Type

1. Hyper-V forgets my VMs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V forgets my VMs: Ok on build 16288, but happened on earlier builds - when I reboot my laptop, Hyper-V keeps forgetting my VMs saying I have noinstalled. Only takes a couple of minutes to restore them but a PITA. I am going to try and unistall Hyper-V and reinstall to see if that fixes...
  2. PC forgets my password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    PC forgets my password: I am running Windows 10 Pro although the PC is not on a domain, most of the time the PC runs 24\7. The problem is when I have to reboot the PC, it does not like accepting my password to log back in. If I reboot the PC and wait for it to finish loading and then log back in it...
  3. How do I get Windows 10 to forget a driver completely ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I get Windows 10 to forget a driver completely ?: How do I get Windows 10 to forget a driver completely , so that when I plug my device in, it acts like the first time its ever seen it? 94699
  4. Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter: Windows Explorer will not show any (usb-flash/external HD-) drive with the letter H. The drive is recognized by Windows: it does show up in Disk Management. What I did, months ago, is delete (merge) a hard drive partition - drive letter assignment of this partition was H....
  5. Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?: Hello all. Maybe someone can ease my paranoia. Some months ago I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything to my PC because I (very stupidly, I'll admit) didn't have a back up. Since that time, on a daily basis at 5:00am, I have Macrium set to automatically back...
  6. NAS forgets login info on every restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS forgets login info on every restart: So my roommate has a server with NAS for movies and tv shows. A separate drive for each (partitions). He gave me a bat file to set them up which works. However every time I restart my computer, they show disconnected. When I double click either of them, it says the login...
  7. Cortana reminds you of important stuff - even when you forget to ask

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana reminds you of important stuff - even when you forget to ask: Cortana is your personal assistant, always there to remember things, so you don’t have to. Today, we’re introducing another, even smarter way for Cortana to help make sure nothing slips through the cracks with suggested reminders. Cortana* already gives you reminders for...