Windows 10: Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved?

Discus and support Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is this yet another botched feature from Msft? I see a lot of older questions about this but no real answers and obviously Msft has done nothing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by webbrewers3, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved?

Is this yet another botched feature from Msft? I see a lot of older questions about this but no real answers and obviously Msft has done nothing to address the problem they created. This is on a W10 machine updated from W7. I've tried troubleshooting W update but that does nothing. Not hopeful since Msft rarely solves problems they cause, so is it safe to just stop the clean up process mid stream? If that works, I can then go and find a tool made by someone else that actually does what it says.

:)

webbrewers3, Oct 14, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 14, 2018
  3. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved?

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved?

1. Windows "free up space" stuck on cleaning up windows update files - was this ever resolved? - Similar Threads - free space stuck

2. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freeing up space and update: How do I free up space and install the newest update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freeing-up-space-and-update/46872102-1c15-450d-b9ff-df3eb1d3ccab
  3. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freeing up space and update: How do I free up space and install the newest update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freeing-up-space-and-update/46872102-1c15-450d-b9ff-df3eb1d3ccab
  4. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disk Clean-up doesn't free up the stated space after cleaning "system files" Windows Update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Clean-up doesn't free up the stated space after cleaning "system files" Windows Update...: Hi there!System info:- "Fresh" Windows Pro x64 21H1 installed about a week ago within Media Creation tool- only few drivers & software installed- SSD disk preliminarily cleaned to be as a new oneProblem:After some recent Windows updates I've decided to check whether I can...
  6. Disk Clean-up doesn't free up the stated space after cleaning "system files" Windows Update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Clean-up doesn't free up the stated space after cleaning "system files" Windows Update...: Hi there!System info:- "Fresh" Windows Pro x64 21H1 installed about a week ago within Media Creation tool- only few drivers & software installed- SSD disk preliminarily cleaned to be as a new oneProblem:After some recent Windows updates I've decided to check whether I can...
  7. Disk Clean-up doesn't free up the stated space after cleaning "system files" Windows Update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Disk cleaning selection to free up space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleaning selection to free up space.: Hello I need free space on my disk C: because now I only have 27 GB of free space. I would like to know if it is recommended to select "compress the operating system drive" in disk cleanup to free up space. Thanks in advance...
  9. Free up space taken by Update files.

Free up space taken by Update files.: How can i free up space taken by uninstalled update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-taken-by-update-files/939fa1c7-42e5-49be-a5f8-195a4e45f3ef"
  10. back up files to free up space

back up files to free up space: My computer can't install updates because it doesn't have any space on C. I purchased a seagate back up drive but I'm not sure haow to move files to the new drive. I keep getting a message about xbox but I don't have that....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. free up space now stuck on purging

2. windows stuck on free up space now

3. free up space now stuck

4. free up space now purging,
  5. windows free up space stuck windows update files,
  6. free up space stuck on purging,
  7. free up space stuck,
  8. free space stuck