Windows 10: windows freeze DELL XPS15

Discus and support windows freeze DELL XPS15 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings,First time here.Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am getting a pretty consistent windows freeze that I need some help fixing. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by carl pilkington, Aug 18, 2017.

1. windows freeze DELL XPS15

Greetings,First time here.Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am getting a pretty consistent windows freeze that I need some help fixing. The freeze happens at random times. Explorer will just stop responding.The mouse will continue to function but the operating system will not respond. Ctrl/Alt/Del does nothing. I can force a reset by holding down the power button and operation comes back to normal after the reboot.
    My system is as follows:
    DELL XPS15 9550
    windows 10 home 64bit
    version 1607
    build 14393.1593
    intel it-6300hq
    8 gb ram
    The one modification I made was that I took out the 32 GB “cache” drive and replaced it with a 256 GB (samsung 950 pro) drive that I have installed the operating system on.
    My install process up to now: (1) install windows (2) run all updates (3) installed driver for samsung 950 pro (4) updated the intel hd530 graphics driver from the DELL site (5) updated the gtx960m graphics driver from the nvidia site.
    Below is a link to (3) event viewer screen captures. The freeze occurred somewherewithin these logs on (3) separate occasions.
    Imgur

:)

carl pilkington, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Mathe_MW Win User
    Mathe_MW, Aug 18, 2017
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    dell xps15

Hi,

To further isolate the issue, please provide the details of these following questions:

• When did it start?

• What changes did you make before the issue occur?

• Aside from checking and changing the settings in control panel, what other troubleshooting steps have you done?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 18, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

windows freeze DELL XPS15

windows freeze DELL XPS15 [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    windows freeze DELL XPS15 [​IMG]
    HDD TEST
    *Arrow Run HDTune to
    • check the health,
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • run a benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the health,
    • the error scan,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

*Arrow Run SeaTools DOS to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run the long test.
    *Arrow Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Use option TWO with parameter /r
    Upload the chkdsk log *Arrow Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums

5. Thanks for the reply.

The system has 2 drives installed both are SSD.
    CHKDSK logs are attached as a txt file...no errors found.
    I would prefer to not install hdtune. Can you help further without that information?

carl pilkington, Aug 18, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Run chkdsk according to the instructions.
    Chkdsk x: /r where x is the partition letter.

Why don't you want to install HDtune?

7. Regarding hdtune: I just prefer to not run/install programs unless it is 100% necessary. If it is absolutely necessary I can run the program and post the information requested.

When I run Chkdsk on my system drive out of the ADMIN powershell I get the attached log from event viewer.
    When I run Chkdsk on my secondary drive I get the following:
    ==========
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by anotherprocess. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    ==========
    The secondary drive is an ssd that i keep all my personal/media files on. In building this system I took out the mechanical HDD and replaced it with my SSD which already had all of my personal files on it. I did not format it in the machine and then add my files to it.
    chkdsk2.txt

carl pilkington, Aug 19, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

With SSD, we need to know the SMART attributes, crystaldiskinfo is sufficient as a standalone program.

Press Y when you get this message and reboot the system.

9. Additional chkdsk scans attached as .txt file.
    (2) crystaldiscinfo screen captures attached.
    (1) disc management window screen capture attached.

carl pilkington, Aug 20, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    Where is the C partition chkdsk log?
    Why'd you mask the serial numbers?

11. I attached the C partition chkdsk log to POST #5 (I have attached it again to this post)

I masked the serial #'s because I thought those might be be considered private information. Do you need those #'s to assist further?

Thanks

12. axe0 New Member
    A serial number is similar to a fingerprint or a citizen service number, all are unique but not private information.

13. windows freeze DELL XPS15

Do you need these #'s to assist further?

14. Saltgrass Win User
    The Dell systems normally install PCIe drives as SATA. Did you install yours as PCIe or SATA?

I don't know about the 950 Pro but the 960 Pro runs fine as PCIe on my systems. I do not know the specifics of the 9550..

I saw these in the Event Viewer. In many cases, errors and warnings are generated during power transitions but I cannot tell from a Text listing.

File System Filter 'wcifs' (Version 10.0, ?2016?-?09?-?15T09:42:03.000000000Z) failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3'. The filter returned a non-standard final status of 0xC000000D. This filter and/or its supporting applications should handle this condition. If this condition persists, contact the vendor.

The Trusted Platform Module (TPM) hardware on this computer cannot be provisioned for use automatically. To set up the TPM interactively use the TPM management console (Start->tpm.msc) and use the action to make the TPM ready.

Error: The TPM provisioning action is not allowed by the specified flags. For provisioning to be successful, one of several actions may be required. The TPM management console (tpm.msc) action to make the TPM Ready may help. For further information, see the documentation for the Win32_Tpm WMI method 'Provision'. (The actions that may be required include importing the TPM Owner Authorization value into the system, calling the Win32_Tpm WMI method for provisioning the TPM and specifying TRUE for either 'ForceClear_Allowed' or 'PhysicalPresencePrompts_Allowed' (as indicated by the value returned in the Additional Information), or enabling the TPM in the system BIOS.)

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&0.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR3 during a paging operation.

Saltgrass, Aug 20, 2017
  15. Spectrum Win User
    The latest BIOS update released 8/1/17 for this model states that it improves NVMe support. I see you are running 1.2.19, so I'd suggest updating to the latest BIOS, Dell is extremely reliable with firmware updates so there is little risk.

Dell XPS 15 9550 1.2.29 System BIOS Driver Details | Dell US

I would also strongly recommend that you run Dell's official diagnostics. Reboot your computer and tap F12 repeatedly until you see a boot selection screen. Select "Diagnostics" and then run through the tests available. Please make sure you choose "extended testing" where available.

When the test is finished it would be great if you could take a picture with a phone/camera and post it here.

Here is Dell's official documentation on their built-in diagnostics.

Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics (ePSA or PSA Error Codes) | Dell US

Spectrum, Aug 20, 2017
Thema:

1. windows freeze DELL XPS15 - Similar Threads - freeze DELL XPS15

2. Dell XPS15 cannot detect own monitor or keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell XPS15 cannot detect own monitor or keyboard: My Dell XPS Laptop will not boot correctly.It will work if I plug in an external monitor via a port replicator and will also recognise a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.However, if I boot with nothing connected it starts Windows I hear the sound but the screen is blank and the...
  3. Dell XPS15 cannot detect own monitor or keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell XPS15 cannot detect own monitor or keyboard: My Dell XPS Laptop will not boot correctly.It will work if I plug in an external monitor via a port replicator and will also recognise a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.However, if I boot with nothing connected it starts Windows I hear the sound but the screen is blank and the...
  4. New Dell xps15 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Dell xps15 laptop: Since updating my 2021 Dell XPS15 laptop to Windows 11 the webcam can't take a new hello login photo of my face. Please - all out there, help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-dell-xps15-laptop/6a6d313e-532b-4cd6-926d-7bd40c10f152
  5. New Dell xps15 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Dell xps15 laptop: Since updating my 2021 Dell XPS15 laptop to Windows 11 the webcam can't take a new hello login photo of my face. Please - all out there, help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-dell-xps15-laptop/6a6d313e-532b-4cd6-926d-7bd40c10f152
  6. dell xps15 9530. Black screen after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dell xps15 9530. Black screen after windows update: received windows update after the update my screen on my dell xps 15 9530 went black all else works have tried everything now I wonder can I go back to my 8.1 an will that turn my screen on an then update to windows 10. Will this clear up the black screen im at a loss an...
  7. Windows 10 Version 2004 - What a train crash for my Dell XPS15...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Version 2004 - What a train crash for my Dell XPS15...: I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 and yesterday upgraded to Windows 10 Version 2004. Now LOTS and LOTS of ISSUES! Slow for windows to boot up, slow for all browsers to load including Chrome, New Chromium Edge and Firefox. Also slow for internet pages to load in the browser and...
  8. Dell XPS15 L502X Keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell XPS15 L502X Keyboard not working: Since the November 2018 Windows 10 update my laptop keyboard will not always work. It appears to be only the top row (q-p) that doesn't work sometimes. I have read various articles and tried updating drivers and uninstalling reinstalling the keyboard without any success. I...
  9. Dell XPS15 9550 Random hang/freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell XPS15 9550 Random hang/freeze: Hi, I am getting random hangs/freezes while using the computer, as in, the system is responsive, the mouse can move, but any attempt to start or close a program results in that program freezing. I've noticed the disk activity goes to max and cpu usage goes down as it...
  10. Do you have a Dell XPS15?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do you have a Dell XPS15?: Apologies if this is not the right place for my query but I respect the opinions of all on this forum. Can any owner give a 'warts an' all' review for a Dell XPS15. Having read computer mags which say it's great to some owners who say it's the worst buy ever. It looks just...