Windows 10: Windows freezes when creating a new file

Discus and support Windows freezes when creating a new file in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer. just a note, I had updated to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Unsolicited Gamer, May 15, 2019.

1. Windows freezes when creating a new file

Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer.

just a note, I had updated to the newest windows and it only started happening after it was downloaded.

:)

Unsolicited Gamer, May 15, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 15, 2019
  3. PC freezing while creating new files or folders

Hello John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    4. What is the make and model of the PC?

Refer the article on
    Which Windows operating system am I running?

However, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Restart the file explorer and check if the PC freezes again.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift
      + Esc key together.
    2. Now look for Windows Explorer process.
    3. Right click on it and click on
      End process.
    4. Now click on File
      and click on Run New task on the task manager window.
    5. Type explorer.exe and click on
      OK.

Method 2:

Boot the PC in safe mode and check if the PC freezes while creating a file or folder. Refer the article to

start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If the PC is not freezing in safe mode then perform a clean boot from safe mode.
    Refer the article on How to perform a clean boor in Windows. If
    the PC is not freezing then please refer the section How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot.

Note:
    Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 15, 2019
  4. Kenny_324 Win User

Windows freezes when creating a new file

Windows hanging when creating new files

Hi all,

I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps hanging when I mouse over "New" either in desktop or Files Explorer to create new files.

Here are two gifs showing my issue:

https://i.imgur.com/NWsvDM5.gif

https://i.imgur.com/rIs4F2G.gif

I have tried:

• Going to command prompt and using the "sfc /scannow" command (no issues found using this)
    • Used the Windows tool to reinstall Windows without affecting my files
    • Made sure Windows & drivers are up to date
    • Performing a clean boot following these steps
    • EDIT: Tried using ShellExView -> 3 files found that I diabled, but issue still here

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting steps, preferably without having to do a full/clean re-installation of Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Kenny_324, May 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows freezes when creating a new file

1. Windows freezes when creating a new file - Similar Threads - freezes creating file

2. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder in Windows 10: If when you are trying to create a New Folder using the context menu, File Explorer freezes or crashes in Windows 10, then this article is sure to help you. File Explorer crashes or freezes when creating New folder [ATTACH] These are the things you can do is creating New...
  3. Create new PIN freezes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Create new PIN freezes: I am being prompted to create a new PIN due to a change to security files. When I try using Windows Hello, I get a message saying the PIN is needed. But when I click "Create new PIN" I get "Just a moment..." and then nothing happens, with the screen eventually going blank. I...
  4. Folder contents not updating when new files are created

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder contents not updating when new files are created: Whenever an application creates new files, the files are not shown until I manually refresh the folder contents (F5). Typical scenario is downloading a file with Chrome. After the download finishes, I click "show in folder" and my Downloads folder opens (or is activated if...
  5. File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder: Windows 10 File Explorer has started freezing when I try to create a new subfolder, particularly if I do so while trying to save a file from online. It completely freezes to the point that I have to go to Task Manager and stop Chrome (for some reason File Explorer isn't...
  6. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  7. Windows hanging when creating new files

Windows hanging when creating new files: Hi all, I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps hanging when I mouse over "New" either in desktop or Files Explorer to create new files. Here are two gifs showing my issue: https://i.imgur.com/NWsvDM5.gif https://i.imgur.com/rIs4F2G.gif I have tried: Going to...
  8. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  9. PC freezing while creating new files or folders

PC freezing while creating new files or folders: When i try to make a new file in any folder or even my desktop, my computer freezes and then flashes before going back to normal. It only happens on the Current update for windows 10. ***Original title: Can't make any new files in Windows 10***...
  10. Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder: This has been happening recently. I can't say it is or is not related to the Anniversary Update. But when I create a new folder or rename an existing folder, the folder box will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will then function as normal, sometimes it will require me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. freezes when creating a shortcut win 10