Windows 10: Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality.

Discus and support Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro ver. 2004 build 19041.508 freezes almost once a week with no obvious cause. The only major change to my PC recently was a change in boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DanielRowe99, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality.

Windows 10 Pro ver. 2004 build 19041.508 freezes almost once a week with no obvious cause. The only major change to my PC recently was a change in boot drive from a SATA SSD to NMVe m.2 drive.

When the freeze happens the keyboard no longer works and the mouse is able to interact with less and less response from open programs, the taskbar, task manager etc. Sometimes I am able to open task manager in time and it displays 100% GPU usage even at idle. My windows background sometimes turns black as well or if I'm running Wallpaper Engine that crashes too.

I have ran Malwarebytes several times scanning the whole system with no detections. Restarting the PC is the only short-term solution I can find.

PC Specs:

CPU - Ryzen 7 1800X @ 3.9GHz

Motherboard - ROG Strix X370 - F gaming BIOS ver. 5603

GPU - GTX 1070 Founder's Edition

RAM - 32GB DDR4 3200MHz running at 3000MHz

:)

DanielRowe99, Sep 16, 2020

2. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Mouse functions limited

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

This issue might have occurred again due to drivers update with the latest update of Windows 10.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the
    hardware and devices
    troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.

• Select Hardware and Devices,
      click on Advanced option and check
      Apply repairs automatically option.

• Follow the on screen instructions.
    Method 2: If the issue persist, uninstall the mouse drivers manually from the
    device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Mice and other pointing devices
      option.

• Right click on the touchpad/mouse driver and select
      Uninstall option.

• Restart the computer for the PC will reinstall the device driver automatically and check if the changes are effective.
    Method 3: If the issue persist, you can install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

Check in compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from the computer manufacture's website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs
    compatible with this version of Windows

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality.

Mouse functions limited

Today 4/17/16 I received a windows 1511 update. The functions of my mouse have since been limited. I can no longer make use of side to side or up and down scrolling motions on my mouse with results. I attempted to update from ASUS. The approval box shows
    without any further results following approval. Am I missing a setting adjustment or could there be more updates needed.

CharlieHallUB, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality.

1. Windows freezes with only the mouse being able to interact with limited functionality. - Similar Threads - freezes mouse being

2. Only able to use function keys F3 to F6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only able to use function keys F3 to F6: I've recently encountered an unusual issue with my Keychron K8 keyboard on a Windows 11 system. For some reason, I am only able to use the F3 to F6 function keys directly. To use the rest of the function keys F1, F2, F7-F12, I need to press them in combination with another...
  3. Only able to use function keys F3 to F6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only able to use function keys F3 to F6: I've recently encountered an unusual issue with my Keychron K8 keyboard on a Windows 11 system. For some reason, I am only able to use the F3 to F6 function keys directly. To use the rest of the function keys F1, F2, F7-F12, I need to press them in combination with another...
  4. Windows freezes but still able to move mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows freezes but still able to move mouse: Whenever I play a game on my PC usually Valorant and I switch to a different application, both my screens freeze and I can’t see what is going on. My mouse moves fine while everything else freezes. Usually, I can still talk to people on Discord as I use Push to talk and I can...
  5. Windows freezes but still able to move mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows freezes but still able to move mouse: Whenever I play a game on my PC usually Valorant and I switch to a different application, both my screens freeze and I can’t see what is going on. My mouse moves fine while everything else freezes. Usually, I can still talk to people on Discord as I use Push to talk and I can...
  6. Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions: I'm having a problem with Windows 10 freezing at random times. It happens when I'm playing a game or just being idle. The mouse pointer will still move, and I'm able to open the start menu but when clicking buttons and trying to open the task manager, nothing actually...
  7. Limiting Function Keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Limiting Function Keys: My FN (Function) Keys are controlling my master volume, instead of the media playing (on YouTube). Is there a way to limit them to only control the current media playing? The pause and play function only control YouTube, which is good, but I can't seem to control it alone...
  8. Windows freezes but I'm still able to move the mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows freezes but I'm still able to move the mouse: This problem started a few days ago. What happens is that the pc freezes and I'm not able to click on anything, if I'm playing a video it keeps on sounding and I'm still able to move the mose. The only thing I can do to fix it is restarting the machine. My pc has these...
  9. Limited functionality of keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Limited functionality of keyboard: Greetings. I have a TOSHIBA laptop C859-B559. Prior to an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 the keyboard worked well. Sad to say That presently the numeric stays on, only the 1234679 keys are working, some of the function keys are working and the majority of the alpha keys are...
  10. Limited Functionality

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Limited Functionality: Hi! Over the several days, my computer is running as well as it has in the past. I ran a troubleshooter for the network, but the result said that it couldn't identify the problem. I came across the "Fix network connection issues in Windows", and I tried the first option, but...