Windows 10: Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive

Discus and support Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have recently re-built my PC after a clean, and done my routine yearly format of my SSD and re-install of Windows, however this time I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VxncentKaye, May 29, 2020.

1. Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive

Hi all,

I have recently re-built my PC after a clean, and done my routine yearly format of my SSD and re-install of Windows, however this time I'm having trouble with Windows freezing at the start of the installation process.

I created a bootable Windows 10 USB using the official ISO off of the Microsoft website & Rufus to burn the ISO onto the 16GB USB drive. I've used this USB drive and method before without the issues I'm having this time.

When I boot the PC, I go to boot options, and select the USB drive which brings up the typical black screen with the blue Windows 10 logo in the middle, however the "spinning dots" towards the bottom centre get half way around a full spin and completely freeze. They just stop moving and nothing else happens no matter how long I wait.

What I've tried:

- Reformatted SSD via the motherboard BIOS.

- Reset the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

- Ensured all the wiring in the PC build was installed correctly done several checks.

- Attempted to place the USB in other USB ports on the motherboard.

PC parts:

- 16GB RAM can't remember brand but DDR4 RAM.

- Ryzen 7 8-core 3GHz CPU.

- MSI X370 SLI Plus motherboard.

- 250GB Samsung SSD.

- 1TB Seagate HDD.

- GeForce GTX 1080ti 8GB VRAM GPU

The boot option screen and the BIOS on the motherboard both recognise all these components so that confirms that I have them all wired correctly as they are being recognized.

I'm starting to get frustrated as I can not for the life of me figure out why Windows won't install this time and keeps freezing when previously it has worked fine every time I've rebuilt and reformatted and installed Windows built the PC in late 2018, done 3 cleans and rebuilds since, first time I'm having this issue.

If anyone has any idea what I could do to fix this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance <3

:)

VxncentKaye, May 29, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, May 29, 2020
  3. Chewy Win User
    Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, May 29, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive

1. Windows Freezing During Installation via Bootable USB Drive - Similar Threads - Freezing During Installation

2. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  3. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  4. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?: Hello, I recently assembled a new PC, but now I need a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately I only have a Mac at home and don't know exactly how to create Windows 10 on the USB stick. I've already looked at a lot of things, but everybody does it differently. Can somebody...
  6. Can't install windows 10 via usb drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install windows 10 via usb drive: This is what i see when I boot via my usb drive. The drive contains windows 10 installation. Image I've already installed Ubuntu via that usb and it has worked properly. Why cant I boot via windows 10 installation? submitted by /u/xmanotaur [link] [comments]...
  7. Bootable USB freezes halfway

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable USB freezes halfway: Hi! I have a HP probook 440 G4 with Win 10 64-bit. Suddenly a MBR problem occurred. blue screen with an error "Unmountable BootDevice" sad face and then rebooting Tried pressing f11 at startup. Result: HP logo, "Wait" at the bottom of the screen ..........then black...
  8. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  9. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  10. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...