Windows 10: Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up.

Discus and support Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've built a new high-end gaming rig and have noticed that every 10min, explorer.exe would spin up all my secondary HDD's. When it does this,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jake_6656, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jake_6656 Win User

Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up.

Hello,

I've built a new high-end gaming rig and have noticed that every 10min, explorer.exe would spin up all my secondary HDD's.

When it does this, windows freezes, as does anything I am running, such as a video game, video, browser etc.

This is extremely frustrating, and causes wear and tear on the drives unnecessarily.

Process Monitor shows it is explorer.exe, doing a "CreateFile", "QueryFullSizeInformationVolume", and "CloseFile" action on each drive, exactly every 10minutes. How can I disable this? I don't want to have to unplug the drives and use them externally.

Never had this problem in windows 7, which I just updated from.

Windows and other running applications are on a SSD, Drives C and I. The rest of the drives are mechanical secondary drives and are for storing information only. Screenshot below has C and I Drives filtered out.

Indexing is disabled for the secondary drives. Page file is on the SSD. No antivirus or malware scanning programs installed other than the windows defender. Have already done checks for viruses and malware though, and the PC is clean.

How can I disable this???

Cheers

Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up. b36f550b-88e4-4484-97b5-aaa5fcd40440?upload=true.png Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up. 6cc25cfa-d644-4393-95e3-e8797f356718?upload=true.png

:)

Jake_6656, Mar 11, 2019
  2. jtjt00 Win User

Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when deleting big file in that HDD.

Things done to fix but failed:
    1. update Internet Download Manager to latest version
    2. replaced secondary HDD
    3. reformat and install Win 10 on SSD

Anyone here experience the same?

Before 22 Sep 2015, I don't have this issue.

jtjt00, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Formatting secondary hdd from Windows

Check the link out below. It's really quite simple when you follow the steps. Go down the page to the title that says "Formatting a Secondary Hard Drive". Best of luck!

<Clicky>

thoughtdisorder, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up.

100% Usage on Secondary HDD

I'm sure that isn't a problem with my HDD. I've just bought this brand new WD 4TB HDD. And on the top of this inquiry, I mentioned that something wired is that the 100% usage jumps between HDDs. It's disk E,F,G this time and it would be disk C,D or H,L next
    time after I restart.(I have 3 Secondary Hdds).

The 100% occurs only when some applications are making use of the disk, such as file copying.

donglinyang, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up.

1. Windows freezing every 10min, for a few seconds, while secondary HDD's are spun up. - Similar Threads - freezing every 10min

2. Online games freezes every few seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Online games freezes every few seconds: So this issue came when i installed new modem router archer vr400. Problem is that internet works well on other devices and on my computer as well Its not perfect but it lags much less than in online games. Its just the online games that keep freezing over and over to the...
  3. Online games freezes every few seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Online games freezes every few seconds: So this issue came when i installed new modem router archer vr400. Problem is that internet works well on other devices and on my computer as well Its not perfect but it lags much less than in online games. Its just the online games that keep freezing over and over to the...
  4. Windows keeps freezing up every few seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps freezing up every few seconds: Built my pc a few days ago and started overclocking my CPU and ram, it was all working fine (no errors on OCCT) until a few hours ago when I noticed freezes of 5 seconds happening every so often. My first thought was to clear cmos which I did but it's still happening, does...
  5. Mouse randomly freezing every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse randomly freezing every few seconds.: Lately I’ve noticed my mouse freezing every 20 or so seconds, and after a day or two the problem became worse and the mouse froze every 3 or 4 seconds. I have tried many solutions online to fix this problem, to no avail. I’ve uninstalled Realtek audio managed, and disabled...
  6. My computer freezes every few seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer freezes every few seconds: My computer freezes every few seconds, and i don't know solution how to fix it. Has it ever happend to someone, and do you know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-freezes-every-few-seconds/09e64bf0-1871-48e9-a59b-cf3044ee7e52
  7. SSD freezes every now and then for a few seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD freezes every now and then for a few seconds: Ever since I finished building my PC in early October, I quickly encountered the issue that my image and, most of the time, my sound too, freezes for a couple of seconds, then everything works as usual again. I researched that issue since it first happened and tried every...
  8. Window 10 freezes every few seconds.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 10 freezes every few seconds.: Window 10 freezes every few seconds. After 5 minutes, window 10 begins to freeze please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-freezes-every-few-seconds/51d9b5b3-15b6-452f-b2ae-39675bac96cc
  9. windows 10 freezing for few seconds to start HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 freezing for few seconds to start HDD: hi i have nvme evo 970 as boot/os / i9 9900k / 64gb DDR4 3200 / win10pro also have 3 HDD for data, which i can see in power settings go toturn off mode in 20minutes...(standard) (balanced mode) now for some reason pc will freeze for few seconds once those HDD starting i...
  10. My Mouse freezes every few seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Mouse freezes every few seconds: I do not know why but my mouse keeps freezing every few seconds for about 0.5 seconds. I have updated all my drivers and have looked at multiple videos, but nothing. Can you please help me on this?...