Windows 10: Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor

Discus and support Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC keeps freezing and giving me this black screen with my cursor. Ctrl-alt-delete wont work and escape key won't do anything. I ran multiple RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Max-16, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Max-16 Win User

Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor

My PC keeps freezing and giving me this black screen with my cursor. Ctrl-alt-delete wont work and escape key won't do anything. I ran multiple RAM tests, ssd tests and the system file checker along with other commands in the command prompt. I have seen suggestions about turning off link state power management and fast startup and it did not seem to work. Here is my computers specks:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill

Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus Nvme SSD

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580

500 watt psu

ASUS cd/dvd drive

MSI MOBO (I think its the tomahawk)

I use stock AMD CPU cooler and 1 case fan and have not overclocked any components.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Max-16, Oct 16, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor

Windows 10 Black Screen, No Cursor

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please follow the below suggestion and check if that helps.

If you see the black screen only
    after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
    If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps.

Perform SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system
    files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 ( Applies to Windows 10 as well).

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor

1. Windows freezing up and giving me black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - freezing giving black

2. Why does windows give me a black screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does windows give me a black screen?: I completely reset my laptop, I reset everything on windows and slsected deleted every file option and slelected cloud download. Now I have a black screen. Is this normal or should I do something....
  3. Laptop giving random BSOD errors and screen freezes black or with cursor sometimes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop giving random BSOD errors and screen freezes black or with cursor sometimes...: Hi, Sorry for my long message in advanceI'm using ASUS TUF GAMING A 17 laptop specs are below.R7 4800H16GB RAMRTX 3050 512GB SSDIt use to be fine when I was using this in Win 10 I mean I use to get some BSOD errors once a month or 2. but after installing Win 11 which I was...
  4. Laptop giving random BSOD errors and screen freezes black or with cursor sometimes...

Laptop giving random BSOD errors and screen freezes black or with cursor sometimes...: Hi, Sorry for my long message in advanceI'm using ASUS TUF GAMING A 17 laptop specs are below.R7 4800H16GB RAMRTX 3050 512GB SSDIt use to be fine when I was using this in Win 10 I mean I use to get some BSOD errors once a month or 2. but after installing Win 11 which I was...
  5. The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.: In addition to my current video card RTX 3060Ti , I bought new GPU, ram and motherboard. I installed the system, but every 3-4 hours during the day, the system either freezes or gives a black screen. I converted PCIe4 to PCIe 3, installed old software, updated the bios, but I...
  6. The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.

The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.: In addition to my current video card RTX 3060Ti , I bought new GPU, ram and motherboard. I installed the system, but every 3-4 hours during the day, the system either freezes or gives a black screen. I converted PCIe4 to PCIe 3, installed old software, updated the bios, but I...
  7. Windows gives me black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows gives me black screen: Im with windows 11 and when i try to focus in one app it goes black for a second and my laptop freezes, after that second it goes back but its very annoying since it happens with every app, even with windows modules as the search bar, i try to open chrome, black screen and...
  8. Windows gives me black screen

Windows gives me black screen: Im with windows 11 and when i try to focus in one app it goes black for a second and my laptop freezes, after that second it goes back but its very annoying since it happens with every app, even with windows modules as the search bar, i try to open chrome, black screen and...
  9. Laptop freezing then black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezing then black screen with cursor: This has been an on/off issue with my laptop. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad 330S 15in, the i7 with GTX1050 variant. The OS is Windows 10. It runs perfectly well almost all the time, but there are those random, occasional moments when it just freezes before going black screen with a...
  10. Black Screen with Cursor and Download Folder freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen with Cursor and Download Folder freezing: Today while working on the computer I encountered an issue while downloading files from the internet and grabbing them from the download folder! This happened 3 times where I received a black screen and the only the cursor was visible. When opening the Download Folder the...