Windows 10: Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive

Discus and support Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all, I have this older laptop which is stuck in a repair loop again. Last time it got stuck I used the Windows Media Creation tool to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kelkolo, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Kelkolo Win User

Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive

Hello all,

I have this older laptop which is stuck in a repair loop again.

Last time it got stuck I used the Windows Media Creation tool to reinstall Windows on it as it couldn't manage to do so on itself.

This time, however, when I tried installing the Media Tool, on the same USB thumb drive I used last time, the installer froze at 50%.

But now not only the installer froze, but my entire computer's Windows did as well.

My entire screen turned a bright blue colour and my taskbar was no longer there.

By using Ctrl+Alt+Del I took a look at which programs were running, and the only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was Windows Explorer which was not responding anymore.

So, with my entire windows frozen except for the task manager, I attempted a reboot through the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.

15 Minutes later the PC still hadn't rebooted yet. Normal reboots would take about a minute to complete.

I then hold the power button of my PC to force it to shut down.

When I booted the PC again everything seemed to be working just fine.

I ran the Windows Media Creation tool again to try to install it on my thumb drive again, but it said that it couldn't find any USB flash drives connected to the PC.

I took out and reinserted the drive and got a message from Windows Explorer saying: "Please insert a disk into USB flash drive F".

So besides the Windows Media Creation Tool froze at 50%, my entire computer froze and wouldn't restart I now have a fried 16GB USB thumb drive which I cannot use for anything anymore.

I find that the Windows 10 updates lately have only had bad influences.

A few Windows updates ago my Outlook 2016 started to freeze in it's starting screen.

I now have to disable my internet, then start Outlook, then enable my internet again and then wait 2 minutes for it to connect to MS Exchange.

What I am currently experiencing with Windows make me want to switch to Mac.

:)

Kelkolo, Dec 26, 2018

2. Corsair Launches New High Performance 16GB Flash Drive

Corsair today announced a new 16GB high performance “GT” Flash Voyager USB 2.0 drive. The new Corsair 16GB GT Flash Voyager USB drive will be debuted at the CeBIT 2008 Show next week in Hanover, Germany on Corsair’s stand.

Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive voyager_hero_thm.jpg

High Performance USB Solutions for Transporting & Backing-up Critical Data

The new Flash Voyager GT USB drive provides data transfer rates that are up to 4X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives. Whether transporting office files, pictures or even full-length movies, you can “store-n-go” faster with the Corsair GT USB line. The drive has been optimized to take full advantage of its advanced flash controller technology as well as the screened and hand-selected NAND flash chips.

Performance data shows:

Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive voyager_gt_specs.png

Corsair 16GB GT USB Drive Features:
    • Maximum durability – proprietary all-rubber housing
    • Drive integrity – water resistant and shock resistant
    • Data security – TrueCrypt encryption software offering AES 256-bit encryption
    • User warranty – 10 years with on-demand customer support
    The new 16GB Flash Voyager GT utilizes Corsair’s proprietary water and shock resistant all-rubber casing, meaning that users with busy and active lifestyles can be confident that their data is secure and protected from damage.

Corsair 16GB GT USB drives are immediately available:
    • Flash Voyager 16GB GT ~ $169.99 USD MSRP
    Source: Corsair

Jimmy 2004, Dec 26, 2018
  3. HookeyStreet, Dec 26, 2018
  4. Wile E Win User

LOL XBOX 360 16GB USB flash drive @ £44.99

Sadly, they don't think, they know. People will buy it.

Wile E, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive - Similar Threads - froze killed 16GB

2. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  3. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  4. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  7. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash drive: I have a problem regarding my USB, [ATTACH]I can't see storage space and have formatted several times. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/8477fb10-4dc5-4265-97ca-392c395a972e
  8. USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive: How do I back up my microsoft photos to the USB drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/a0206f3a-49e2-4d2e-80ce-566fe8aba1ba
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...