Windows 10: Windows functions wont open/run

Discus and support Windows functions wont open/run in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This is my very first post on the forum. Please guide me till i get accustomed . My Windows started acting funny suddenly. 1.My login password... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by inwell, Aug 1, 2018.

1. inwell Win User

Windows functions wont open/run

Hello,
    This is my very first post on the forum. Please guide me till i get accustomed .
    My Windows started acting funny suddenly.
    1.My login password went missing and i was able to login directly.
    2.I cannot open START menu (by mouse click or win button). Nothing happens.
    3.Right click on start button shows lots of options but most of them wont open. Control Panel/Network settings/Admin Cmd prompt/ Device Manager all will come up with error msg "File does not have progg associated...... screen shot attached for ref)
    4.Network icon near clock will not display any networks (blank)
    5.Create New User or any other task from all settings will just do nothing.nothing comes up.
    6.Troubleshooting (BSOD and others ) under Update and Recovery section missing.
    7.This happens in Safe Mode too.

I ran sfc/scannow and it came up with msg,that found some errors but could not fix some/all. After this scan i cannot boot into normal mode now (thats the most funny part).

This is custom build With i3-xxxx,Intel61WW,RAM 8GB Corsair,Geforce 210,500GB WD SATA

Thank YOu

:)

inwell, Aug 1, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 1, 2018
  3. Rohit Siddegowda Win User
    windows 100 app store wont open

Hi Craig,

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow

Let us know the results.

Rohit Siddegowda, Aug 1, 2018
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

CCleaner 64 bit wont run.

Hi Cliff S. Thanks a lot.

I did not run SFC initially because in my understanding SFC checks the system files only, and is not effective for third party tools. Still I did it as you suggested, it found nothing.

Windows functions wont open/run [​IMG]

I havent tried Dism yet ... please guide me about it in details. I am unaware of it.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local and C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming does not contain any CCleaner entry after it is uninstalled. I sehed everywhere in C:\Users\<username>\AppData .... no entry for CCleaner. Should I look at any other place too?

There were some in Regedit. Like
    • Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cclaunch
    • Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cclaunch\shell\open\command
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shell\Open CCleaner...
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shell\Open CCleaner...\command
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shell\Run CCleaner
    Five in total. Deleted those, will try another installation now and will let you know.

Hi topgundcp. Thanks a lot to you, too.

I tried your suggestion, got the same result. *Sad

Windows functions wont open/run [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Windows functions wont open/run - Similar Threads - functions wont open

2. settings wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    settings wont open: Click on gear win 10 get error when trying to open settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/settings-wont-open/40055783-c3a7-42ed-bb93-343a4a6e946f
  3. Minecraft wont open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft wont open: GAME CRASH The game crashed whilst initializing game The game crashed whilst initializing game Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: GLFW error 65542: WGL: The driver does not appear to support OpenGL It wont open and I am very sad...
  4. Laptop Wont Function

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Wont Function: help......had it on, then bunch of opaque dime size circles started floating at top, couldnt do a thing. reboooted couple of times, did w-defender scan check, malware bytes. Cursor wont move, things shaky. Did comp break down, or I got some type of virus? Scary for a non-tech...
  5. IE wont open in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IE wont open in Windows 10: Internet Explorer 11 wont open in windows 10. It tries and then disappears after a few seconds. I have tried everything to no avail. It just started doing it in the last couple of days 7/25/18. Thanks, Mike...
  6. Minecraft wont Run!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft wont Run!: I just bought a new computer and needed to download minecraft again. After I installed the new launcher I went on 1.8 because i don't enjoy later updates as much. When i clicked to launch the game it said couldn't set pixel format. Does anyone know how to help?...
  7. Chrome Wont Open

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Wont Open: Hi , i installed Chrome ( try with Canary too ) , but when install all is fine , but when i reboot the PC , both Chrome or Canary wont open ( i open task process and the process is there ,i close it but no case ) , i try many things that i see in Internet but nothing get...
  8. Windows Store Wont Open

Windows Store Wont Open: Hi, I cant seem to get my Windows store to open. My install is about a day old, and was a clean install. When I click the store icon I get a brief view of it loading and then it disappears. I've tried going to my app data and deleting the windows store files. I've gone...
  9. Windows Store Wont Run?

Windows Store Wont Run?: I saw some posts a while back on the refusal of Windows Store not running. I have a quick answer: Press 'Windows and R', type 'wsreset.exe' in the run box and press 'enter' - fixed. Apps updates: Launch win stores app; click the head and shoulders icon next to search...
  10. search field and cortana wont function

in Windows 10 Support
    search field and cortana wont function: Hi all I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and everything still worked correctly. We did updates and lost the use of the search bar and cortana. The start button works fine...