Windows 10: Windows gets sluggish when video is playing

Discus and support Windows gets sluggish when video is playing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I play any video on any player or a browser the video runs perfectly smooth around 10 seconds and then suddenly the video doesn's run so smoothly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by esa, Jul 13, 2020.

1. ESA
    esa Win User

Windows gets sluggish when video is playing

When I play any video on any player or a browser the video runs perfectly smooth around 10 seconds and then suddenly the video doesn's run so smoothly anymore. At the same time the whole Windows UI gets sluggish. It looks very much like refresh rate drop but I'm not sure if it's that. When I press 'PLAY' and start making a circle with my mouse I can see like 20 cursors in the circle and in 10 seconds suddenly I see only 5 or 6 cursors. Also mouse lag appears and all the animations, like dock sliding out or in, are like 5 fps movie. When I stop the video, or cover the video with any window, within 10 seconds everything gets back to normal. I have no clue what causes this.

All the drivers are checked and uptodate
    Windows is reinstalled and uptodate
    All unnecessary services, bloatware etc. disabled or deleted
    BIOS is upgraded
    Disk errors checked
    DISM and SFC scans made
    Various Regedit fixes tried

Is there something else I could check out?

----------------

Windows 10 Home 2004
    Ryzen 3800X @ stock speed
    Asus RTX 2080
    MSI MPG 570X Gaming Edge Wifi
    Samsung Q70R 65" TV as a monitor (4K/60Hz and 2560x1440/120Hz tested)
    16 Gb RAM 3600 Mhz (G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16D-16GTZ)
    Samsung 512 Gb m.2 SSD
    1000W PSU

:)

2. Amit_Sun Win User

video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jul 13, 2020
  3. When I click on the Arrow to play a video all I get is an HTTP address.

Hello Kevin,

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue.

• Which player are you using to play videos online is it Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight?
    • Are you able to watch other offline videos?
    • Which Internet browser do you use to watch the videos online?
    • Does the issue persist in Internet Explorer?
    • Do you get any error message when the videos don’t play?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the Video Playback troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Video Playback.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the Display adapter driver from the Device Manager and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Start button and click on Device Manager.
    • Select the Graphic driver from the list by extending Display adapters.
    • Right click on the Graphic driver and click on Update driver Software.
    If the issue persists then install the latest graphic driver from the manufacturer and check if it helps.

Incase if you are using Internet Explorer to Watch the videos then I would suggest you to refer the below link and try enabling and disabling the Add-Ons:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17447/windows-internet-explorer-11-manage-add-ons

Also refer the below article and check if that helps: Videos won’t play in Internet Explorer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2532294

Note: Holds good for Internet Explorer 11.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Windows gets sluggish when video is playing

No sound when playing video files on Windows 10

Hi Andrei,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, please answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to this computer prior to the issue?
    2. When do get the error "this app can't run on this computer"?
    3. Is the sound working fine in Audio files?
    4. What is the make and model number of your computer?

5) What is the format of Video files that you are trying to play? (You may refer to
      File types supported by Windows Media Player).

Meanwhile, download a new video file from the internet and check if the audio is coming from that video file.

Also, copy those video files onto a USB and play them on another computer and check if you are able to hear audio from thos video files.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in Fix sound problems in Windows 10 and check if this helps.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows gets sluggish when video is playing

1. Windows gets sluggish when video is playing - Similar Threads - gets sluggish video

2. Windows 10: Lags when not playing a video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Lags when not playing a video: So ever since I’ve updated to windows 10 I have a very weird bug.Sometimes games i have noticed this in dota2 and csgo will start to horrendously lag, my fps counter will still state something upwards of 30-60 and fluctuate heavily though it is usually higher and somewhat...
  3. Windows 10: Lags when not playing a video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Lags when not playing a video: So ever since I’ve updated to windows 10 I have a very weird bug.Sometimes games i have noticed this in dota2 and csgo will start to horrendously lag, my fps counter will still state something upwards of 30-60 and fluctuate heavily though it is usually higher and somewhat...
  4. when playing a video I get no sound it says NO SPEECH

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    when playing a video I get no sound it says NO SPEECH: when playing a video I get no sound only NO SPEECH https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-playing-a-video-i-get-no-sound-it-says-no/9fa41720-c57a-4782-b619-6485441079b3
  5. Getting this error when I try to play videos in Movies & TV app & videos will not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting this error when I try to play videos in Movies & TV app & videos will not...: I can get my videos to play on other video players, but I need them to be working in the Movies & TV app because the software that I work with for video editing reads them from that app & now non of my project files can open the videos and I cannot do any of my work on my...
  6. I get an issue when playing video files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I get an issue when playing video files: I don’t know why and when the issue occurred. But now I can't play video files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-an-issue-when-playing-video-files/fb49a2fb-3357-4326-ab8d-aaaf53a5d2e4
  7. No audio when playing video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio when playing video: I have no audio when playing video. This started with the most recent build to Windows 10, v.1809. All of the sound drivers have been updated (by Microsoft, when they took control of my computer). I can get the sound to work by running the audio playback troubleshooter...
  8. Mouse is sluggish when I am playing games

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse is sluggish when I am playing games: When my PC is working with a very high load and the CPU goes close to 100%, I am having problems with a mouse. The cursor is starting shuttering, it gets sluggish and stops moving sometimes. Especially this happens when I am playing games so you see it is a frustrating...
  9. Windows 10 freezing when playing videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezing when playing videos: Few weeks ago I noticed that my laptop completely freezes when playing videos. This first happened with playing YouTube videos (no matter which quality), and then I realized that Win.10 freezes when I'm playing downloaded videos as well as videos on other internet pages. I...
  10. Playing Get Started Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Playing Get Started Videos: Just downloaded Windows 10. Went to Get Started page and tried to play each of the videos. Each one failed to play. Any idea why? 10493