Windows 10: Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu

Discus and support Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu in Cortana to solve the problem; When i right click on a folder i get the size of the folder, but when i enter that folder and select all sub folders in it and right click on them, i... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by דניאלמ, May 28, 2019.

1. Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu

When i right click on a folder i get the size of the folder, but when i enter that folder and select all sub folders in it and right click on them, i get different size on the propeties menu.

(there are no hidden files i missed)

Here is the issue, captured on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXupeEiJDY

it wasn't like this before, i think one of windows updated cuased it.

is there a fix for that?

:)

דניאלמ, May 28, 2019

2. Window 10 gives wrong folder size

Have you got the bug for all folders ? What is the real size, and the wrong one ? give details please…

Patricia.Guenot, May 28, 2019
  3. Window 10 gives wrong folder size

If you are a
    Windows 10
    user then you might experience the issue with the Windows folder sizes. For example, if you have a folder with 100 GB of

data
    and you check its size via the properties then you might see a wrong size there. It will most likely be a random number and it can be a bigger or smaller number than the actual size. Some users saw the folder size of 4TB as well. If you rename the
    folder then the size will change but it still won’t be the correct size. This incorrect folder size problem isn’t specific to a certain drive or certain types of folders. Any folder can be affected by this incorrect folder size issue.

The problem is with the
    Windows
    10. This is a known bug in the
    Windows 10
    that was introduced in one of the latest Windows Updates. This bug prevents the File Explorer to read the metadata of a file correctly. This is what leads to this unexpected file sizes. That’s why you might also notice that your drive size isn’t
    correct either. The good thing about it being introduced by a Windows Update is that Microsoft will most likely release a fix in the next couple of updates. But if you don’t want to wait till the updates you can simply follow the steps given in the

methods
    below. There is a way to actually look at the correct file sizes on
    Windows

Method 1: Use TreeSize
    TreeSize is a third party application that can help you get the correct sizes of your files and drives. It is a graphical manager for hard drive space. This tool comes with a free trial as well so you don’t
    have to spend anything on it. The free trial should be more than enough for you.

1. Click here and select the appropriate region
    2. Click Next
    3. Run the setup file once it is downloaded
    4. Everything should be self-explanatory. Simply install the software
    5. Once installed, open TreeSize
    6. You should see a File Explorer like window. It will automatically scan your drive and show you the folder sizes.

Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu 1-36.png

1. If you want to look at other drives then click Select Directory and select your desired drive

Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu 2-8.png

1. TreeSize will automatically scan the selected drive as well
    That’s it. You can use
    TreeSize
    to have a look at the correct sizes. You can use this tool until you get a new Windows Update. So, keep checking for the latest

Windows Updates

sachindehaliwale, May 28, 2019
  4. CK03211 Win User

Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu

Window 10 gives wrong folder size

Any easy fix to solve wrong folder size displayed in Window 10 ?

CK03211, May 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu

1. Windows gives wrong size of folders on propeties menu - Similar Threads - wrong size folders

2. Wrong screen size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong screen size: Hello! I have a laptop with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen taskbar doesn't show because it is bottom. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  3. Wrong screen size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong screen size: Hello! I have a laptop with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen taskbar doesn't show because it is bottom. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  4. Wrong size of Wallpapers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong size of Wallpapers: I have a problem with the size of my wallpapers and how they are displayed on the screen. In the link down below is an image where you can see what the problem is. I think it may be because of the resolution of the selected image for the wallpaper since a few full hd pics get...
  5. Windows folder size...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows folder size...: This question had been asked previously, but there had been no resolution AFAIK... The "C:\Windows" folder size on my system is: [img] The three folders, that are targeted to be relocated/deleted, have a combined size of ~27 GBs. There are two backup folders that can be...
  6. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  7. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option: hi, i am having problem with the properties option. i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem. i was checking the size of one of my folder (in terms of checking how much space it occupies on hard drive). i got some figure around 60.04 GB. just to cross verify i...
  8. Wrong sizes of updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong sizes of updates: Hello. When I look for available updates using powershell script, it returns wrong sizes for certain updates. See the first item from a list on the screenshot. Window update agent (wua) returns size ~61Gb for update KB4483235 (d53bec60-84cf-4d58-8046-02f17c45e5b4) [ATTACH]...
  9. Wrong size of updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong size of updates: Hello. When I look for available updates using powershell script, it returns wrong sizes for certain updates. See the first item from list on the screenshot (KB4483235 or d53bec60-84cf-4d58-8046-02f17c45e5b4 ). ~61Gb [ATTACH] The same issue I've had on other computers for...
  10. Window 10 gives wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window 10 gives wrong folder size: Any easy fix to solve wrong folder size displayed in Window 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-gives-wrong-folder-size/8f7e6669-2110-4044-bc8a-aa44dba91e61"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 folers and files not showing under properties