Windows 10: Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes

Discus and support Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes less than 5 DESPITE proper as far as I know settings are set. Can someone please help? I am really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tomms_eos, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Tomms_eos Win User

Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes

Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes less than 5 DESPITE proper as far as I know settings are set. Can someone please help? I am really annoyed by having to log in every time I come back to my PC. It´s been doing this since today 17/03/2020. Before my PC just stayed on my monitor just shut down after hour of inactivity.

Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes 3f91087e-a0f0-494e-b31f-4ee0ff7165a1?upload=true.png Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes e0367ee4-ca36-41cf-9892-fa398a22ac5e?upload=true.png

:)

Tomms_eos, Mar 17, 2020
  2. PJS
    pjs Win User

PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

3. Windows 10 (sometimes) goes to sleep after only 2 minutes of inactivity

Hello Mark,

Your screensaver might be one of the possible reasons why your computer goes to sleep every time the computer is inactive. It is possible that the idle time is set every 2 minutes. Having said that, you can try adjusting the waiting time by following the
    steps below and see if it makes any difference:

• Go to Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Personalization.
    • Click on Screen Saver at the bottom right.
    • Adjust the waiting time and hit Apply.

If the issue persists, we recommend trying the suggestions posted by Aleksandr 10 in this
    thread. Most of the Community users found his suggestions
    helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes

PC goes to sleep after a few minutes

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please follow the steps below to change your system's sleep settings.

1. Go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Change your desired sleep timing in this Tab.

2. Now, click on Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Power Settings.

3. Expand Sleep and give the appropriate time.

If this doesn't help, I would suggest you run the built-in troubleshooter:

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.
    • On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”
    • Click on Power. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok. (Follow the onscreen instructions)
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes

1. Windows goes to sleep/locks itself after few minutes - Similar Threads - goes sleep locks

2. my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games: also to wake up the 2nd monitor i have to go to display and click anything and then revert after i closed the gamethis just happened yesterday...
  3. my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games: also to wake up the 2nd monitor i have to go to display and click anything and then revert after i closed the gamethis just happened yesterday...
  4. Windows locks up and sleeps after a few minutes of gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows locks up and sleeps after a few minutes of gaming: I'm actually kind of worn out from this already. I know Windows is objectively one of the weakest systems in terms of gaming however Steam's biggest library is on Windows.When I'm playing heavy games such as Spider-Man remastered, I can comfortably play it in 2k with the...
  5. Windows locks up and sleeps after a few minutes of gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows locks up and sleeps after a few minutes of gaming: I'm actually kind of worn out from this already. I know Windows is objectively one of the weakest systems in terms of gaming however Steam's biggest library is on Windows.When I'm playing heavy games such as Spider-Man remastered, I can comfortably play it in 2k with the...
  6. Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks: No matter how many settings I changed, my computer still goes black after 1-2 minutes of cursor inactivity!!! It then locks and goes to the screen asking me to unlock it. I tried setting all "power and sleep settings" to never, I also tried going into "additional power...
  7. COMPUTER IS IN LOCK SCREEN BUT SHOWS DESK TOP, GOES INTO SLEEP MODE FOR A FEW MINUTES IF I...

COMPUTER IS IN LOCK SCREEN BUT SHOWS DESK TOP, GOES INTO SLEEP MODE FOR A FEW MINUTES IF I...: LOCKSCREEN HAS TIME LIKE REGULAR LOCKSCREEN BUT UNDERNEATH THE BACKGROUND LOOKS LIKE MY DESKTOP IF I PRESS THE SPACE BAR OR ENTER OR TRY TO CLICK ANYTHING IT GOES DARK BUT I CAN SEE THE MOUSE CTRL + ALT + DEL DID NOTHING RESTARTING DID NOTHING PLUGGING IN A USB DID...
  8. Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes

Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes: So recently my computer has started to go to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity. I've looked everywhere and have tried everything but nothing seems to work. Here's a list of what I've tried. Running troubleshooting on power settings. Running regedit and going to...
  9. Bsod after few minutes of sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod after few minutes of sleep: Hello people my pc goes off when i want to sleep it first the monitor turn off but other hardware working till few minutes. it worked fine till last two days this is my first topic about this problem Windows 10 is not going to sleep anymore please if anyone help read...
  10. Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???

in Windows 10 Support
    Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???: Although set to sleep after an hour while on power, it goes to sleep after 2 minutes. Before the Win 10 upgrade, whatever I set power conservation at was what the laptop followed. Never had any problems until now... Any thoughts? Thanks, Bruce 43893