Windows 10: Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2

Discus and support Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What helped me resolve this issue was changing the power plan. Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options Change to a different power option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Machie, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Machie Win User

Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2

What helped me resolve this issue was changing the power plan.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Change to a different power option

:)

Machie, Dec 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 (sometimes) goes to sleep after only 2 minutes of inactivity

Hello Mark,

Your screensaver might be one of the possible reasons why your computer goes to sleep every time the computer is inactive. It is possible that the idle time is set every 2 minutes. Having said that, you can try adjusting the waiting time by following the
    steps below and see if it makes any difference:

• Go to Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Personalization.
    • Click on Screen Saver at the bottom right.
    • Adjust the waiting time and hit Apply.

If the issue persists, we recommend trying the suggestions posted by Aleksandr 10 in this
    thread. Most of the Community users found his suggestions
    helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Dec 16, 2018
  3. rnardone Win User
    Sleep settings are ignored, defaults to 2 minutes.

My Windows 10 laptop continues to sleep after 2 minutes regardless of the power settings. Many people have mentioned this exact same issue and are given multiple things to try. Then the issue gets marked as answered without any real solution.

My PC Setup:

• Dell Latitude E7440 (Windows 10, Upgraded from 8.1 more than 6 months ago.)
    • Docked using a Dell E-Series Dock
    • Dual AOC e2343FX monitors
    Issue:

PC goes to sleep after 2 minutes regardless of the power settings. It is not just turning the monitors off, it's actually going to Sleep. Today I was working on a resume and cover letter. I would write the cover letter and then read it back to myself to
    check the grammar and language, The PC would go into sleep mode during this process. It drives my nuts that I have to login to my PC every 2 minutes even though I'm actively using it.

Troubleshooting:

I ran the Control Panel "Troubleshoot problems" feature (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System and Security: Power). The troubleshooter runs and displays:

Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2 f3bb167b-aac5-4a2b-95ed-d6c425132f11.jpg

Then:

Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2 93be3632-9802-4c45-b5fc-3c917a6f1917.jpg

What actually happened:

• Power plan was changed from "High performance" to "Balanced (recommended)" *Troubleshooter message says the opposite.
      • On Battery:
        • Sleep after 30 minutes changed to 15 minutes.
      • Plugged in:
        • Sleep after 1 hour changed to 30 minutes.
    The troubleshooter stated "Time before computer goes to sleep is too long" so why do the dropdowns allow for up to 5 hours? Why, when I make any allowable change does the sleep settings default to 2 minutes regardless of the setting? Also, why does Microsoft
    offer multiple power plans and configuration options when they are just going to force you to "Use a more efficient plan"?

I have had Windows 10 for 6+ months now. This issue just started happening a couple of weeks ago. Nothing but Windows updates have been installed since before this started happening.

rnardone, Dec 16, 2018
  4. EdithNash Win User

PC going to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the power setting are.

I have a Toshiba Satellite S75 laptop running Windows 10. It has a 2.60GHz CPU, 8Gb Ram and a 700 Gb hard drive. Recently my PC has started going to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the setting are. I am using the Balanced power plan. The laptop
    is plugged in and those setting are set as follows: a) turn screen off - 3 hours; b) put computer to sleep 4 hours. I checked advanced power settings and found the following: 1) turn hard disk off after - 300 minutes; 2) sleep after 240 minutes; 3) Allow
    hybred sleep is off; 4) hibernate after - 300 minutes and 5) turn off display after 180 minutes. Again all of these setting are for when the computer is plugged in.

The screen saver is set to start after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Any suggestions on how to get it to quite going to sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity? Thanks.

EdithNash, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows going to sleep within a minute or 2 - Similar Threads - going sleep within

2. Laptop started going to sleep after 2 minutes. Does not follow the power settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop started going to sleep after 2 minutes. Does not follow the power settings.: I shut down my laptop over the weekend. I also had a Geek Squad member remotely work on my laptop last week but it looked like all he did was run some scans. He didn't fix the issue he was supposed to be working on but that's another thing. After turning my laptop back on...
  3. BSOD within 2 minutes of load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD within 2 minutes of load: My desktop started blue screening last week, was only doing it once a day or so, I figured I would get to it later.... Go forward to last night and it BSOD, and I rebooted and BSOD again within about 2 minutes of windows load. I went into safe mode, same thing. I ran chkdsk...
  4. Laptop Going to Sleep After 2 Minutes When Lid is Closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Going to Sleep After 2 Minutes When Lid is Closed: I have an external display hooked up to my work laptop, and after 2 minutes of inactivity, the laptop goes to sleep whether on battery or plugged in. I've checked the battery and power settings, and they are all set to 30m to turn off display and 1 hour to sleep for battery...
  5. display sleeps after 2 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    display sleeps after 2 minutes: All hibernation and sleep settings set to NEVER Hard disc set to 360 minutes and still my display closes after 2 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-sleeps-after-2-minutes/d3eb9eec-7064-4cf2-a7dd-6739cb877ffd
  6. Windows 10 Laptop Goes to Sleep in 2 Minutes

Windows 10 Laptop Goes to Sleep in 2 Minutes: I have a Windows 10 laptop, and after about 2 minutes of inactivity, it goes to sleep. Very frustrating and annoying. I can't figure out why, or how to stop it. I tried changing the settings in the screensaver, which is no screensaver, and set to 20 minutes. In power...
  7. BSOD within 5 minutes of waking up Windows from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD within 5 minutes of waking up Windows from sleep: I get a BSOD whenever I come back to my computer and wake it up. But if I haven't let the computer go to sleep it keeps going as long as I have been able to observe. The BSOD message/error code isn't consistent. Note: Video drivers are tricky cause AMD stopped supporting...
  8. Computer keeps waking from sleep within 2 minutes every single time

Computer keeps waking from sleep within 2 minutes every single time: I need help bad. I have searched the forums and online and have tried everything under the sun that has been suggested but my computer simply will not stay sleeping. It promptly wakes up within 2 minutes. I tried hibernating it and it still wakes up. I have been through all...
  9. PC Going To Sleep After 3 Minutes

PC Going To Sleep After 3 Minutes: I recently upgraded to Windows 10. After my upgrade my computer will shut off after 3 minutes of not using it. I have all power settings set to 30 minutes after no use. On battery and plugged in. Does anyone else have the same issue? If anyone has any solutions please help....
  10. Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???

in Windows 10 Support
    Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???: Although set to sleep after an hour while on power, it goes to sleep after 2 minutes. Before the Win 10 upgrade, whatever I set power conservation at was what the laptop followed. Never had any problems until now... Any thoughts? Thanks, Bruce 43893