Windows 10: Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update

Discus and support Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Can't get any sound on Windows Guests (XP/W7/W10) on Linux Hosts after latest alsa (sound) / kernel updates. Sound on Host working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update

Hi folks

Can't get any sound on Windows Guests (XP/W7/W10) on Linux Hosts after latest alsa (sound) / kernel updates.

Sound on Host working perfectly, Windows VM's running on KVM also sound working perfectly on them too.

Kernel is 5.10.13-arch1 Vmware workstation release 16.1.0.

rolling back alsa libraries - then it works but that's usually not a good idea - you should keep host properly updated whatever OS you are running.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021

2. No sound in VMware Linux Mint

I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (3.8.9) within VMware Workstation 14 Player (version 14.1.3 build-9474260) running on a Windows 10 host (1803 build 17134.285). Sound does not work, although it works perfectly when I run Windows 7 in the same VM.
    The sound device detected by Linux is Creative Sound blaster CT2518. When I test sound with pavucontrol open on the Output Devices tab, the Advanced bar shows that the sound is being detected, but nothing can be heard.
    Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this problem?

MikeinGrange, Feb 5, 2021
  3. LT_2009 Win User
    VMware Sound Problem

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I am having a problem with sound in VMware Workstation 15.5.5 on Windows 10 Pro v.1909. In VMware guest OS' the sound crackles quite badly. All the OS'. I thought only XP SP3 was having this issue but all of
    them are. Basically the sound crackles in virtual machines. My host's sound is fine. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Lewis

By the way, VMware was no help.

LT_2009, Feb 5, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare Windows Guest on Linux Host - start remotely from command line

Hi folks
    I want to start a Windows guest (VMWare Wks) machine on a Linux Host machine - remotely -- the linux server is running "headless".

I can logon from a remote Windows or Linux laptop via SSH - no problem but i'm confused as to start the VM. There is a command vmrun but if you've ever had the misfortune to look at Vmware's documentation you'll see that it's hopeless trying to understand it --at least for me.

Any gurus here know the vmware command to start the VM via the command line on the linux box -- note SSH is working perfectly (also from Windows) so that part of the issue is not one at all.

BTW if any of you are ever involved with writing documentation for a big organisation you should look at VMWare's -- it seems to me a classic text book case in how NOT to do it. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update - Similar Threads - guests sound using

2. VMWare Windows Guest on Linux Host - start remotely from command line

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare Windows Guest on Linux Host - start remotely from command line: Hi folks I want to start a Windows guest (VMWare Wks) machine on a Linux Host michine - remotely -- the linux server is running "headless". I can logon from a remote Windows or Linux laptop via SSH - no problem but i'm confused as to start the VM. There is a command vmrun...
  3. VMware WS, WIndows 10 2004, GUest and Host - Lockups - with Snip tool

VMware WS, WIndows 10 2004, GUest and Host - Lockups - with Snip tool: Guys, I had been happily running VMware Workstation 14.1 for quite a while, host and guest were on W10 Pro 1809. Upgraded the guest to 2004 over the weekend and was told on restart that there were compatibility issues with the version of Vmware. Upgraded that to 15.5.2 and...
  4. Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release

Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release: Hi folks I know a few here use Linux Hosts with VMWare and run Windows VM's Some distros have a problem with the latest VMware build - not compiling etc. Arch Linux 5.3 kernel with the VMWare build works perfectly (as do Windows VM's running on it) -- I've several Windows...
  5. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  6. Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking

Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking: Hi folks on WINDOWS 10 Hosts - current 1903 or later builds has anyone got a Linux VM with any kernel > 4.15 to run in Bridged mode with either VBOX or VMWARE. NAT works fine but I need Bridged as these VM's need to be acessible from the whole network Pity it's Bridged...
  7. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  8. Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM): Hi folks for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s...
  9. No sound in VMware Linux Mint

No sound in VMware Linux Mint: I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (3.8.9) within VMware Workstation 14 Player (version 14.1.3 build-9474260) running on a Windows 10 host (1803 build 17134.285). Sound does not work, although it works perfectly when I run Windows 7 in the same VM. The sound device...
  10. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...