Windows 10: Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B

Discus and support Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks - especially Windows Gurus please Is there a Windows command to copy all the directories and their files and sub directories from one disk or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Dec 4, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B

Hi folks - especially Windows Gurus please

Is there a Windows command to copy all the directories and their files and sub directories from one disk or directory to another -- not a CLONE disk but just a file and directory copy with recursion if necessary. It should ignore existing files on the destination if they are newer than the files on the source.

The Linux equivalent is simple : rsync -r -t -v --progress -s /<dev1> /<dev2> where<dev> = /dev/sdx etc.

I'm sure there must be a Windows command to do it - I don't need any 3rd party GUI type things to achieve IMHO a simple process which is essentially building a data backup job to run periodically on users clients computers - the backup will then go to a remote (LAN actually) server.

Note that rsync command with those particular parameters only copies non existing files to the target disk - but can copy if the files on destination are older than on source disk and a whole other slew of options etc.

These things in theory should be simple -- but it always seems to me (possibly because I don't tend to use Windows as my main desktop) that Windows makes some essentially simple tasks far more complex than they need to be.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 4, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B :)

Naki, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Disk Copy Command for use with Floppies

Floppy disks? Did you find them in a museum?

Floppy disks had a capacity of 1.44 MBytes and were rather unreliable.

A USB flash disk has a capacity of at least 8 GBytes (that's 6,000 times more!) and is much more reliable. So why do you persist with floppy disks?

About your question: Diskcopy.exe was a DOS program that would make an exact replica of a floppy disk. Since floppy disks are no longer supported, diskcopy got retired.

To copy data from one disk to another you have one GUI option and three console commands:

• File Explorer
    • copy
    • xcopy
    • robocopy

They will all copy your data, provided you have two floppy disk drives.

Frederik Long, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B

Windows 10 directory invalid error

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER:
    chkdsk /g

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might
    be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: Perform full system scan using Windows Defender or Anti-virus software.

Method 3: Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B

1. Windows Gurus please command to copy all directories from Disk A to B - Similar Threads - Gurus please command

2. "dir/s/b" Command Prompt not picking-up all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "dir/s/b" Command Prompt not picking-up all the files in a directory.: I'm using the command in Command Prompt that goes "[a directory] > dir/s/b > [to a text-file]". When applying this to certain folders in the Windows OS—"C:\Users\Administrator\""C:\ProgramData\Packages\""C:\Windows\ServiceState\"in particular—it doesn't manage to get the...
  3. "dir/s/b" Command Prompt not picking-up all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "dir/s/b" Command Prompt not picking-up all the files in a directory.: I'm using the command in Command Prompt that goes "[a directory] > dir/s/b > [to a text-file]". When applying this to certain folders in the Windows OS—"C:\Users\Administrator\""C:\ProgramData\Packages\""C:\Windows\ServiceState\"in particular—it doesn't manage to get the...
  4. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying files from drive a: to drive b:: I am using windows 10 home.I copies 1 folder from a to b.However when I compare the 2 folders it does not matchIs there a windows program to compare the 2 folders and see what is missing.Thanks very much...
  5. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying files from drive a: to drive b:: I am using windows 10 home.I copies 1 folder from a to b.However when I compare the 2 folders it does not matchIs there a windows program to compare the 2 folders and see what is missing.Thanks very much...
  6. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

7. Disk Copy Command for use with Floppies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Copy Command for use with Floppies: Trying to copy from one floppy disk to another floppy disk. I need to make copies for MIDI Program Files. I have read that Win 10 has dropped the Diskcopy command from the Dos Shell. How can I make copies now? Are their alternative or work-arounds for this Command?...
  8. Windows Gurus -- program / command to display RAID status

Windows Gurus -- program / command to display RAID status: Hi there. Any of you Windows gurus out there know of some script / command to display the status of a RAID array while it's running. I'm trying to get a handle on this -- I'm sure Windows must have a lot of sensible command line options if one knows where to find them -...
  9. GUI for copy files from A to B that don't exist on B

GUI for copy files from A to B that don't exist on B: Hi there while this is easy in Linux : (rsync -a -v --ingnore -existing /dir/a/ /dir/b) you need the '/' after first directory) some people prefer a GUI There's now a front end GUI for this (works on Windows too) called Grsync [img] Grsync And GAdmin-Rsync: The...
  10. command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones

in Windows 10 Support
    command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones: Hi there Is there a Windows command that can copy files from say directory A to directory B but skip any with the same name I don't want to update even if say directory A has a newer version than directory B --simply use existing names --if it exists skip. I'm trying to...