Windows 10: Windows hanging when creating new files

Discus and support Windows hanging when creating new files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps hanging when I mouse over "New" either in desktop or Files Explorer to create new files. Here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kenny_324, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Kenny_324 Win User

Windows hanging when creating new files

Hi all,

I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps hanging when I mouse over "New" either in desktop or Files Explorer to create new files.

Here are two gifs showing my issue:

https://i.imgur.com/NWsvDM5.gif

https://i.imgur.com/rIs4F2G.gif

I have tried:

• Going to command prompt and using the "sfc /scannow" command (no issues found using this)

• Used the Windows tool to reinstall Windows without affecting my files

• Made sure Windows & drivers are up to date

• Performing a clean boot following these steps

• EDIT: Tried using ShellExView -> 3 files found that I diabled, but issue still here

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting steps, preferably without having to do a full/clean re-installation of Windows?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Kenny_324, Mar 11, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Windows hanging when creating new files

Creating a new folder and right-clicking hangs Explorer for 5-10 seconds

Hi Abhishek,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in creating the new folder in File Explorer, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your interest in resolving the issue.

Do let us know if you were able to see any error message/ error code when the File Explorer crashes?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform a full system virus scan and check if it helps.

Refer: Microsoft Safety Scanner - Free Virus Scan with the Microsoft Safety ...

Note: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Step 3: I suggest you to
    Run check disk (chkdsk)
    and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

• chkdsk / f

• chkdsk /r
    3. You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).

4. Press Y key on the keyboard and press
    Enter key.

5. Restart the computer and check.

Chkdsk disclaimer:
    The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your
    own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of File Explorer crashing for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows hanging when creating new files

1. Windows hanging when creating new files - Similar Threads - hanging creating files

2. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  3. File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP: I'm a lazy person and I RDP from my home desktop to my work laptop. This is all happening on the same LAN. I believe ever since I was updated to version 2004, anytime I create a new folder or rename a folder, File Explorer either hangs for 5-10 seconds or crashes and...
  4. Windows 10 hangs when I create and rename a new map in Win Explorer

Windows 10 hangs when I create and rename a new map in Win Explorer: Windows 10 hangs when I create and rename a new map in Win Explorer / I get a black screen as result and I have to restart my pc to get things visible and functioning again. Why is that? Thanks for helping me resolve this problem. Chris...
  5. Folder contents not updating when new files are created

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder contents not updating when new files are created: Whenever an application creates new files, the files are not shown until I manually refresh the folder contents (F5). Typical scenario is downloading a file with Chrome. After the download finishes, I click "show in folder" and my Downloads folder opens (or is activated if...
  6. File Explorer / New File => Hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer / New File => Hang: In File Explorer, Right-Click + New, Windows hangs. If I press Ctrl+N to create a New Folder, this works fine. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-new-file-hang/a29cfbbe-d97a-4b8a-a933-756d5783d845
  7. Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder

Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder: If I right click on my desktop and go to new my computer freezes up for about 30 seconds. The box goes away and nothing happens. This makes it impossible to create a new folder on my desktop. Something I have been doing for many years. Before you suggest it is something wrong...
  8. Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder

Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder: Every time I try to create a new folder in windows explorer it hangs, then doesn't respond, then goes back to the explorer screen without the folder being made (total time around 1 min). I've tried the system check and a clean boot with no success. Its really annoying when...
  9. Windows freezes when creating a new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes when creating a new file: Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer. just a note, I had updated to the newest windows and it only started happening after it was downloaded....
  10. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"