Windows 10: Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure

Discus and support Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After using the start/power options to shut down the PC it goes into the clue background screen with the revolving circle of white dots and just stays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldanddeaf, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure

After using the start/power options to shut down the PC it goes into the clue background screen with the revolving circle of white dots and just stays like hat for hours.

:)

oldanddeaf, Jul 5, 2016
  2. rashtell Win User

Windows 10 freezes on startup or when resuming from sleep or hibernate

Its not displaying the build version. But the window is up to date. The last OS was windows 10. It satrted after i did a forced shutdown because it hanged. Ever since then, if i do a normal shutdown and bootup, it will hang and i will have to do forced
    shutdown again. But if i shutdown through the command prompt it would bootup with no hanging. The problem still persists even after reinstalling the windows so many times. I also did chkdsk and sfc commands but no luck

rashtell, Jul 5, 2016
  3. ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Just upgraded to Win10-64 Professional. I had used the Shutdown desktop icon in Win7-64, but now it hangs my system. Using this icon hangs my system for an hour with "Windows Updating - Don't shut your computer down" and the hangs it for a hour on startup
    with "Windows Updating". Shutdown with the normal taskbar icon is immediate, & no hanging the system on startup.

Do you know of a solution to this issue?

I can attach the Event Viewer Application Log FYI. I shut down with the desktop icon about 230pm, logged on about 315pm

I don't see a way to attach the file...

DuncanRhodes2, Jul 5, 2016
  4. Mc Ruff Win User

Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure

Try turning off fast start up under power options that can sometimes cause that issue

Mc Ruff, Jul 5, 2016
  5. Hi Mc Ruff, your advice worked thanks very much.

oldanddeaf, Jul 25, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've had this issue a couple of times when fast startup is turned off. The PC subsequently powered down correctly after pushing the reset button. I never did work out the cause. I also have another PC which is prone to shutting down then restarting again which I'm trying to solve.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure

1. Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure - Similar Threads - hangs following normal

2. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown: please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1 hour , sometimes i have to hard turn it off , i make sure to turn off Wifi before turning it off and i unplug it , please i just...
  3. Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.: Hello, I have done a clean install of windows 10 20h2 and have download and installed all the updates, the Problem I am facing is when I shutdown my laptop windows 10 say getting windows ready do not turn you computer off, this all that happens windows does not shutdown....
  4. Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown: Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs: Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  5. windows 10 -will not shutdown normally.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 -will not shutdown normally.: I am using the command shutdown /s to shut down my system. How can I find out what app is not closing that's keeping the system running? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-shutdown-normally/ab5a22ef-5785-453c-aa64-4229d0b1bdcc
  6. LOSS OF NORMAL WINDOW AFTER SHUTDOWN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    LOSS OF NORMAL WINDOW AFTER SHUTDOWN: I am running Windows 10 on Inspiron 3793 bought just when Windows 7 stopped being supported. I lost the normal windows but was still able to get excel , word and use internet even if I had to use mouse differently from normal Going back to pale blue screen and pressing...
  7. Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown: I use Open Shell (the Windows 7-like start menu replacement). The shutdown button there is different from the default Windows 10 shutdown. First off, it doesn't ask for confirmation to shutdown. More importantly, once you shutdown and start the computer again, programs do not...
  8. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  9. CampaignManager running at shutdown and preventing normal shutdown.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CampaignManager running at shutdown and preventing normal shutdown.: What the heck is going on? I can find nothing useful of this. And I view this as a security and privacy issue. Started two days ago, when I went to shut down a PC (Windows Pro 10 build 1903) I was confronted with a warning that "CampaignManager" was still running. I...
  10. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...