Windows 10: Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset

Discus and support Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Just recently I've been receiving long hangs after a random amount of time on my laptop that is an inspiron 3537 and these usually take a long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mandias, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mandias Win User

Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset

Hello. Just recently I've been receiving long hangs after a random amount of time on my laptop that is an inspiron 3537 and these usually take a long time to resolve and i usually just end up hard resetting. I've located the source of the problem and it is my hard drive and I have been receiving the errors " The device, /device/harddisk0/DR0, has a bad block." and "Reset to device, /device/RaidPort0, was issued." during or before the hang. I haven't been running any antivirus after receiving these hangs and thought this would be solve the problem but it has accomplished nothing. How can i resolve this problem? thanks i attached my specs

:)

mandias, Oct 27, 2017
  2. DonTolson Win User

switching on the device

It sounds like you may be holding the power/sleep button a little too long and forcing the phone into a soft reset/power cycle.

When it starts up and shows the Nokia logo, is it still hanging? Does it ever get to the start screen?

If it is continually hanging, then as suggested, the best bet would be to do a hard reset to take it back to out of the box condition and start from there.

DonTolson, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Vahur---01, Oct 27, 2017
  4. Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset

Hi mandias. Welcome to the TenForums @mandias

You have a hard drive problem. First order of business is to copy all personal data off machine. Then reseat cables. Maybe even swap port on Motherboard, (and cable) assuming you are not in a Raid set up. Test.

You can then test your drive with Seatools from Seagate.

You might be able to run chkdsk /r and it might isolate. Myself, unless I knew it was a cable I would be installing new.

You are likely going to have to re-install Windows so get a copy of the media asap. Here is the tutorial on a clean install.

Clean Install Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 27, 2017
  5. mandias Win User
    Thanks ken. Will attempt to check my hard drive later today

mandias, Oct 28, 2017
  6. mandias Win User
    Hello i am receiving a new error that is not allowing me to boot into windows. It says it has detected no boot devices, press a key to restart. I ran a test on my hard drive in the windows diagnostic test and it is popping up with the error:
    error code 2000-01 42
    Validation:12857
    Hard drive 0 S/N S3P3XR31 Long self test unsucessful

mandias, Oct 28, 2017
  7. Looks like it died. Please tell us you backed up your data.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 28, 2017
  8. Gordon7 Win User

Have you been inside your laptop and reconnect the HDD to another port or what have you don - ?

More info would be helpful.

Gordon7, Oct 28, 2017
  9. mandias Win User
    Yea I backed up most of my personal documents, thank you for your consideration. I haven't done anything to the cables or HDD yet, just ran some scans on the hard drive.

mandias, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset - Similar Threads - hangs long randomly

2. Laptop randomly hangs, no BSOD, have to hard reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop randomly hangs, no BSOD, have to hard reset: Recently my laptop has been randomly freezing completely. There is no blue screen, the audio stops and the trackpad and keyboard stop working. I have only recently factory reset my device 2 weeks ago due to BSOD issues. I have checked the event viewer after the freezing,...
  3. Laptop randomly hangs, no BSOD, have to hard reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop randomly hangs, no BSOD, have to hard reset: Recently my laptop has been randomly freezing completely. There is no blue screen, the audio stops and the trackpad and keyboard stop working. I have only recently factory reset my device 2 weeks ago due to BSOD issues. I have checked the event viewer after the freezing,...
  4. Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset: Hi,I keep getting random freezes followed by the computer becoming extremly slow and hanging with programs not reacting anymore, i have to hard reset my computer everytime. I have the Bios and all other drivers up date and even did a windows reinstall already. I have an evtx...
  5. Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset

Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset: Hi,I keep getting random freezes followed by the computer becoming extremly slow and hanging with programs not reacting anymore, i have to hard reset my computer everytime. I have the Bios and all other drivers up date and even did a windows reinstall already. I have an evtx...
  6. Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset: I recently upgraded most parts of my PC with brand new parts motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM... basically everything except the PSU, two storage drives, and the peripherals, and also installed Windows 11 on it. Since then, I've had random system hang-ups that have impeded a lot of...
  7. Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset

Windows 11 random freezing/hanging, forcing hard reset: I recently upgraded most parts of my PC with brand new parts motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM... basically everything except the PSU, two storage drives, and the peripherals, and also installed Windows 11 on it. Since then, I've had random system hang-ups that have impeded a lot of...
  8. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games...
  9. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so...
  10. Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

in Cortana
    Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time: I accidently cut the power to my desktop, and it said that the Bios was corrupted, but recovered using the secondary Bios. At first I couldnt even get into Windows, so I wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows. Once I got into Windows, everything wokred great, except Cortana...