Windows 10: Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted.

Discus and support Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I built my PC about 8 months ago and for the most part it's been great. My biggest issue with the machine has been an occasional instance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/re4235, Mar 21, 2021.

1. /u/re4235 Win User

Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted.

Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted. yhaCJCG9EF_6ZE1zgVBM1DCntpRpNYTqbefHr-x-jpk.jpg

I built my PC about 8 months ago and for the most part it's been great. My biggest issue with the machine has been an occasional instance where Windows slowly seizes to function. It starts with my iQue RGB lighting turning to default, my wallpaper animation freezes, programs will freeze/go blank, and new programs cannot be opened. About the only functionality I have is the mouse cursor, the task manager (but it's not doing live updates), and right click opens up a see-through opaque drop down menu that can't be interacted with. It's like it's in a half frozen limbo state with the only solution is a hard restart on the tower.

I posted this issue on another subreddit and got a response saying it's a recursive unresolved open loop or call leading to memory leak requiring memory dump via restart. I inquired further on how to solve the memory leak but never got any answers beyond that.

Across a fantastic 8 months this has been a persistent issue that's happened maybe 8-10 times so far. It's frequent enough to draw attention to it. Hopefully I can get testimonies and solutions from those who have had this issue because it is a hard thing to pin down since search suggestions take you straight to completely frozen/blue screen PC troubleshooting articles, not exactly what I'm experiencing. Thanks in advance.

https://reddit.com/link/ma5qth/video/lj1wvfz21go61/player

Task manager as the freeze is happening

submitted by /u/re4235
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/re4235, Mar 21, 2021

2. Hangups on Restarting pc and hanging up programs.

Dear Community,

I noticed recently alot of my programs hang when i leave my pc on when i go out to walk the dog or do the laundry or even go take a bath. When i come back, alot of programs, when clicked on, do not work. A person actually from a steam post figured out that
    a controller can cause this, but cannot fix the issue. Probem still occurs because something else hangs up the pc still, and then if you do unplug a controller, the controller is non-functional. Then when you try to reset and restart your pc, it hangs up on
    restarting.

Please check out more info here on people who used a programmer to figure out that pc controllers were part of the issue, but not the whole hanging up apps problem. It has to do with leaving your pc on.

Here is the link to the steam post about it:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1843566500531445264/?ctp=9

A poster on that forum namded Tor Heyerdal posted this about it too:

"For what it's worth, I SUSPECT that this is actually a problem with Windows 10 when using a certain range of hardware configurations that just so happens to affect Steam (in addition to a plethora of other programs), rather than
    a problem inherent to Steam. I actually don't believe that this is Steam's fault. I never had this problem under Windows 7, but I've had it for the entirety of the time that I've been using Windows 10, even immediately after a fresh installation."

At first the original poster thinks it is a steam only thing, but it is proven it effects other programs on a pc also. Can microsoft look into this issue please? Thank you. I know this is a public community forum, but i would like to let microsoft know about
    this issue. Thank you for reading.

Still, i have to do hard resets because my pc hangs up on restarting it.

Draconic 500, Mar 21, 2021
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

4. Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted.

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted.

1. Windows "hangs". Functionality is there but programs seize up until the PC is restarted. - Similar Threads - hangs Functionality programs

2. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  3. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  4. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. pc hangs up

pc hangs up: Ctrl/alt/delete gets it going again but shortly after it freezes again, any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-hangs-up/cfe33a9f-1324-4b60-98fd-2f296e3f866e
  6. Programs stop working until computer restart

Programs stop working until computer restart: Hi,Every once and a while almost all .exe's will either stop responding or not even open. If they open its just a white screen and task master says the program is not responding. This can be fixed by restarting my computer, but I want to know why this happens and if there is...
  7. Microsoft Photos seizing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos seizing up: So I was forced into updating Windows on July 30, 2020. In addition to using up an amazing amount of disk space, this last update has screwed up Microsoft Photos. Now, when I double click on a jpg or png file to look at it beyond the thumbnail preview in explorer Microsoft...
  8. PC hangs up after update on restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC hangs up after update on restart?: As briefly shown above, my PC has been stuck since yesterday when I rebooted. I had to do an update, and when rebooting it doesn't get any further. The BIOS boots and then the HP icon appears (since I have an HP computer). Shortly after that a text appears: It tries to...
  9. Hangups on Restarting pc and hanging up programs.

Hangups on Restarting pc and hanging up programs.: Dear Community, I noticed recently alot of my programs hang when i leave my pc on when i go out to walk the dog or do the laundry or even go take a bath. When i come back, alot of programs, when clicked on, do not work. A person actually from a steam post figured out that a...
  10. Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart

Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart: This issue seems to have been happening to me ever since the new Windows 10 update from a couple months back. I'm currently on Version 1903 with OS Build 18362.418. I cannot find a direct correlation to when it starts happening, but eventually, a number of programs will...