Windows 10: Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed

Discus and support Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greeting and thanks in advance, My friend has recently bought an MSI gaming laptop, It has an SSD(Windows is on this) and an HDD when unboxed we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aproximategamer, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed

Greeting and thanks in advance,

My friend has recently bought an MSI gaming laptop, It has an SSD(Windows is on this) and an HDD when unboxed we checked the partition and found out that windows as a healthy recovery partition on the HDD, Is it safe to delete the partition?

My guessing is that Windows was first installed on the HDD and then the laptop was upgraded by MSI to boot from the SSD, and they forgot to remove this partition?

submitted by /u/aproximategamer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aproximategamer, Jul 12, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 12, 2020
  3. INSTG8R Win User
    Problem installing windows 7 from recovery dvd's

Well then Jetsters cloning idea might be the way to go. You can use the actual recovery partition to install. I'm not familiar with that ASUS AI program. It must be a laptop thing.

INSTG8R, Jul 12, 2020
  4. Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed

1. Windows has a recovery partition on an HDD that doesn't have windows installed - Similar Threads - has recovery partition

2. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  3. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  4. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition: Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A Thanks [img] 156079
  6. Windows has the wrong location for the recovery partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows has the wrong location for the recovery partition: I recently deleted the 2 OEM recovery partitions on the SSD on my laptop (now running version 1909), moved the Windows recovery partition to the end of the disk, and extended my C: drive to take up the newly vacated space. However, now the recovery partition is no longer...
  7. Is there a free partition recovery software that doesn't have any limitations?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a free partition recovery software that doesn't have any limitations?: As the title says. i tiredly and accidentally deleted one of my volumes instead of changing the letter(reordering for organization) at 5-6 in the morning and i cant seem to bring it back (it wanting to format first), i have many and large files on the drive and every software...
  8. Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?

Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?: I have a windows 10 working just fine on a new gaming PC. I want to use the same recovery partition, Only to create a new instance of the OS on another partition on the same hard drive. I know how to format/repartition the drive. I want to do this so I can use a copy of...
  9. Cannot access recovery partition in hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access recovery partition in hdd: Hi guys...... I need to recover my os..... The problem is I bought a new ssd and added it and cloned my os to the ssd...... The recovery partition that my asus rog came with is in my hdd...... How do I access it and how do I recover the os to its original state..... The hdd...
  10. HDD has six partitions after clean install

HDD has six partitions after clean install: After a clean install of the 10240 build I ended up w/six partitions on my HDD. It appears 3 and 5 are just taking up space. I deleted all the partitions as part of the install, but did not format the drive. Initially the clean install would not activate but a reset cured...