Windows 10: windows has destroyed my computer

Discus and support windows has destroyed my computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded my free upgrade and now my computer is stuck in a loop - blue screen/black screen. Tech support was useless. Why is Windows allowed to put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jakethedog, Aug 16, 2015.

1. windows has destroyed my computer

I downloaded my free upgrade and now my computer is stuck in a loop - blue screen/black screen. Tech support was useless. Why is Windows allowed to put out a product that does not work and we have to pay to repair? It would be so nice if someone started a class-action lawsuit against Microsoft regarding expenses consumers have had to incur due to their errors. I am sure people have spent millions paying to get their computers repaired after downloading corrupt Microsoft software. I don't remember ever being so angry about anything.

:)

jakethedog, Aug 16, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade has destroyed my computer!!!!

windows 10 upgrade has destroyed my computer. Slow, disconnects, email, browsers unusable. Tried everything now down to buying a new computer. Will win 10 on a new computer be any better?

LaddieMills, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installer has destroyed my computer

Hi Nashat,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you. I would suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO in any different device and create a Media Creation tool and then perform StartUp Repair.

Refer to the following link:

Download Windows 10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool " in the above article for creating
    the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps:

• Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to
      change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
    • In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
    • Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'StartUp Repair'.
    • After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.
    Hope the information helps. Kindly get back to us with the updated status and we'll be happy to assist.

Navneet Anand, Aug 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

windows has destroyed my computer

It's not Microsoft's fault that you didn't make a backup. Why can't you just clean install your previous operating system?

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Harpert Win User
    Many things can go wrong when upgrading a new operating system
    Windows 10 is provided free of charge and I think it's unfair that you claim that you need free help also *Smile

The easiest way to go forward is to use a backup that I am sure you have created before starting the update *Smile
    If not.... re-install the original OS (win 7 / 8) Don't install any drivers or software yet
    upgrade to windows 10 and than install all your software.

If all was obtained legally. it should not be a lot of work to get activation keys etc.

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    I tend to sympathize with "jakethedog".

Every time Microsoft had advertised an OS upgrade, I felt that they presented it as something that would not fail. They don't mention the precautions that should be taken before an OS upgrade. They also take no responsibility for fixing things if the upgrade goes wrong. For people who lack an install disk for their old OS (common for PCs from the major manufacturers), the problems may not be readily fixable in house.

It's worse with 10, as that upgrade is free, and offered to everyone with a Windows 7 or 8 PC through Windows Update.

For people who do as much to maintain their PCs as most of us do to maintain our kitchen refrigerators, this is a disaster waiting to happen. For the affected parties, telling them that it's a low-probability disaster is probably not comforting.

Class action lawsuit? I wonder if there are enough affected people that a law firm would take it on. It might be a way to get revenge on Microsoft, if you bear in mind that you, personally, won't see a dime for years, and that the lion's share of the money may stay with the lawyers.

I wish that I could offer advice on how to fix the problem without scrubbing the OS. I imagine that there's a method that uses bootable Win 10 install media. I suppose that "jakethedog" didn't prepare anything like that. If she/he/it has access to another PC, such a medium (I'd recommend a USB flash drive) could be made easily from the Media Creation Tool (Windows 10). The actual repair is beyond my knowledge.

bobkn, Aug 16, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What are they going to sue Microsoft for? Voluntarily installing something that was given to them for free? And there is 99.99% chance the computer is not "destroyed". It just needs an operating system re-installed on it which if the user took any kind of due diligence measures before the upgrade - should be able to be accomplished at no cost other than a couple hours of time.

As for data loss - again there is 99.99% user data is left on the hard drive - it's just a matter of booting a live OS from a USB or DVD and accessing it to back it up.

As far as Microsoft should have a warning about backing up data before an upgrade - I hate holding corporations responsible for the public's lack of common sense. I buy a toaster and there is a ten page user's manual with it with 9 pages of warnings and cautions and 1 page that says put slice of bread in the slot and push down on the lever.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  8. owensdj Win User

Most likely your Windows 8.1 install was already messed up before you tried to install the upgrade, or you forgot to uninstall a 3rd party anti-virus. Malware, bad application installers, and letting your machine go down without a proper shut down takes a toll on your Windows install.

There is nothing wrong with your hardware. You need to reinstall Windows 8.1. That should be pretty easy if your laptop manufacturer provided a Factory Restore partition. After you go back to 8.1, make sure you don't have any 3rd party anti-virus installed and do the upgrade again.

owensdj, Aug 16, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I also sympathize with jakethedog, but Microsoft is supplying assistence to anyone who has problems upgrading to Windows 10.

Did you call them and ask for assistance?

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2015
  10. hiphopper Win User
    A lawsuit isn't going to happen because no (respectable) lawyer is going to touch it. Microsoft does have many warnings along the way, most people just clicked all of the buttons that said "read this first" without paying attention. Not Microsoft's fault.

And as others have said, this was a free upgrade. And I'm pretty sure the EULA states that the software is not fit for any specific purpose and you won't hold Microsoft responsible for any issues that might occur during the upgrade process. Again, most just decide to ignore the warnings.

Don't get mad, just spend the time to re-install your original OS and remember another lesson learned.

hiphopper, Aug 16, 2015
  11. bobkn Win User
    "jakethedog" posted that "Tech support is useless." Didn't say whether it was MS, Gateway 2000 (eMachines), or the Geek Squad.

Just out of curiosity, do you know anyone who has been rescued by MS support under "jakethedog's" circumstances?

bobkn, Aug 17, 2015
  12. DavidY Win User
    Well I'd disagree with you there - they don't exactly go out of their way to suggest it during the Windows 10 upgrade process.

The process is presented as a "wizard" (do they still call them that?) where the user is initially nagged to upgrade, then follows the instructions and let the upgrade software guide them through.

As far as I know there's no point where it says "now is a really good time to stop and make a backup".

(That reminds me, I must try that thing with Windows 8.1 with Bing...) but according to Microsoft's Windows 8.x Media Creation tool website, any unlucky users with that particular edition would need to contact the computer manufacturer for it - and presumably have to pay.

And is there an equivalent clean-installable Media Creation tool for *all* editions of Windows 7?

DavidY, Aug 17, 2015
  13. windows has destroyed my computer

I bought the computer loaded - no disc supplied. The computer ran just fine until I installed Windows 10 and I did have a backup but it will not read it. I contacted Microsoft support and created a new ISO of Windows10 but that did not work. I have now sent it to a repair shop and guess what - others are having the same problem. My point is - don't release it until it totally works - don't send reminders to update because it is so good - not everyone totally understands computers so we rely on vendors reliability - every time Microsoft releases something new it is full of bugs and we all sit back and accept it as 'that's the way it is' - automakers recall and repair, at their expense, 'potential' problems due to pressure from the government but don't go near Microsoft. Why can't drug companies release drugs without full testing? Why can't Microsoft release new products without full testing? Microsoft and Apple are the only games in town and that is close to a monopoly and the last I heard monopolies were illegal. Sorry for the rant but frustration builds.

jakethedog, Aug 17, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ok, so Microsoft is supposed to wait until they can be sure that their operating system will run flawlessly on billions of different hardware configurations? They are supposed to wait for every manufacturer of every different component to supply them with a driver that will work with every component and then, not only that, but test each combination of different components to be sure it will run flawlessly when those components might conflict with each other? And....Apple and Microsoft are not the only names in town. There is a whole world of hundreds of different flavors of Linux out there. Not to mention that I have yet to see a new computer from a reputable manufacturer come out with a computer that did not have the software on it to create a restore disk.

And I am terribly sorry that you don't have computer savvy friends that would help you out instead of paying a computer repair shop - the majority of longer term members here could have your computer running in two hours, probably on Windows 10. Yes, I know we all have different talents - I can't draw or paint much of a stick person let alone anything real but anyone with some talent towards computers has been able to make Windows 10 work.

Windows 10 has topped over 50 million installs. If 100,000 of them went bad, that's still a 99.998% success rate. And if Microsoft charged even just $10 for the upgrade, that would be $500,000,000 - yes, 1/2 of $1 billion dollars they would have made.

I'm sorry for the rant as well, but given the totality of the circumstances I think Microsoft did pretty dang good.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  15. simrick Win User
    Every OEM-installed Windows OS computer that comes with a recovery partition, also comes with a way to make your recovery disks. The problem is, no one takes the time to make the recovery disks when they buy that new computer.

simrick, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. windows has destroyed my computer - Similar Threads - has destroyed computer

2. Windows 11 has destroyed my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 has destroyed my laptop: I have a Surface Book 2 and I did the auto update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. My laptop no longer boots. I downloaded the Surface book 2 rescue from the Microsoft website. I got the laptop to boot with the rescue disk burned to bootable USB. I get the menus for the...
  3. Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer: Computer fan runs continuously with no programs open. Zoom lags so badly it’s completely unusable and my entire livelihood revolves around zoom. I can’t downgrade because they put a stupid 10-day limit on reverting for some asinine reason. Microsoft, y’all truly hate your...
  4. Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer: Computer fan runs continuously with no programs open. Zoom lags so badly it’s completely unusable and my entire livelihood revolves around zoom. I can’t downgrade because they put a stupid 10-day limit on reverting for some asinine reason. Microsoft, y’all truly hate your...
  5. Windows 11 Destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Destroyed my computer: Hello,I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but...
  6. Windows 11 Destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Destroyed my computer: Hello,I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but...
  7. Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely: Windows live update September-october 2020 drivers update and install failure with the 2004 version win 10 pro I had done the media creation took process and every other process thats been listed to sort it. I also had the nvidia geforce gtx970 vga card device drivers...
  8. Windows update destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update destroyed my computer: I am honestly in a lose of words. I have owned a Apple computer since I was 6 years old. I had to switch to a PC for school. I can not describe the the issues with Windows 10. I mean a company like this still can not get it together is sad. The solution...hey just delete...
  9. Is windows update destroying my computer ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is windows update destroying my computer ?: Okay recently i've installed the new windows update Just after rebooting it started being very slow and crashing very easily. It happened to me before when I get from windows 8 to 10 but it wasn't that bad like blue screen of death once a month. And 3 day after installing it...
  10. Update build 10586 has destroyed parts of my computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update build 10586 has destroyed parts of my computer: Hi guys, so as soon as I heard about the new build, I went to install it. After it finished and booted back up, it displayed several notifications about removing apps because they weren't compatible, well thanks for confirming this with me *Huh Then I come to find that...