Windows 10: windows has destroyed my computer

Discus and support windows has destroyed my computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Jake, If you haven't already, try a hard stop - press and hold the power button for more than 20 seconds (until the machine shuts down). The upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jakethedog, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Bazz Win User

windows has destroyed my computer

I you actually read the thread he has already taken it in for repair.

2. bobkn Win User

You write that sarcastically, but in many ways I believe that's closer to what Microsoft should have done than what they did. They haven't exactly been putting firearms in the hands of small children, and I don't think there'll be a lot of deaths from botched upgrades. However, I think that MS gives the impression that the upgrade is completely safe, under all circumstances, and it obviously isn't. Some of the problems could be avoided by some simple steps prior to running the upgrade, but what fraction of Windows users have heard of chkdsk or sfc?

MS obviously built checks into the upgrader that causes it to roll back to the old OS when the upgrade fails, but it also obviously doesn't work 100% of the time. (Apparently rolling back from a completed Win 10 installation isn't a 100% sure thing, either.)

What level of imperfection is acceptable? I haven't seen statistics on what fraction of upgrades have gone irretrievably bad. (Irretrievable means that the OS is toast, and would need to be replaced from scratch. Or from the drive image that was never made.)

I'm all for personal responsibility, but the idea that we're all equal in knowledge or capability borders on the delusional.

bobkn, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Emma Win User
    I can see both sides in this discussion. I have two computers and would never have download if I only had one. I had no problem when I downloaded W 10, it was not shoved down my throat, it was not forced on me. I was curious and wanted to see what it was all about. Before it was set up or downloaded, I don't remember which, the agreement popped up. We all saw the agreement, not sure what to call it, but it comes on all most all software downloads, we accepted it. We did this to ourselves, no one made us do it. I would not have done this even to a spare computer if did not have the reformatting stick from Acer. I bought every new OS that came out from 1996 on except for 2000 and every new system was better and faster. So I don't mind changes if they improves things. W 8 certainly not better, nor was W8.1 or W10.

I worked on it for a few hours and went back to W8.1. I hope this turns into MS's biggest failure that have had. If they want to keep making the last 3 OS's , fine, but they need to keep making OSs like the older systems so we will have a choice.

4. windows has destroyed my computer

Lotza money to be made restoring old operating systems or clean win 10 installs (college kiddies gonna need help now) and recovering data on hd/ssds. Only in Almerica.

lopedoggie, Aug 17, 2015
  5. While I feel bad for Jakethedog, I'm a little shocked at how quick you guys jumped back and forth at each other. I think this thread needs some common ground.

Can we all agree that Windows Millennium Edition was the best? </sarcasm>

I was a little disappointed by the lack of info in Jake's post. Important things that could of helped. He never defined how far the install got. He never identified if it was a branded system (or what brand). He never even let us know if he was upgrading from 7 or 8. There are countless variables that were never expressed. He could of been using an IBM PS/1 trying to perform the upgrade on Windows3.1, we don't know. Everyone was so quick to jump on the inflammatory bandwagon they missed the whole point.

I think it's good that the computer is now in the hands of what we are going to assume are technically minded people that can resolve his issue. I think it's bad that he's going to have to pay out of pocket for such resolution. I think in the future, we should focus on the problem at hand and leave the rhetoric until AFTER the solution is provided, applied, and the user's issue is resolved. Then again, I'm the guy that created his account today to share his own crazy experience with upgrading. I doubt his issue is anywhere near as complex as my own, but we'll never know. I personally, have learned little from this thread and that saddens me as this is such a robust technical community.

You owe it to yourselves and your visitors to be better than you were in this thread.

Shamalanana, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Harpert Win User
    Action Center warns you all the time about safety and backup creation.
    We all know we do need to make backups (daily or weekly) but because it takes an effort (connecting an external drive, creating a system repair disk) most of us just don't do it.
    Nowadays luckily most people backup their important data to a cloud drive....

I use a NAS (network storage) to do a daily backup of my data.
    I don't care much might Windows Crash completely. It actually gives me an opportunity to re-install Windows and have this nice fresh feeling as if your wife has just changed the bed linnen *Smile
    We all know Windows get sluggish after a while, specially when installing new programs all the time.

Back to the discussion at hand.
    If you buy a computer without recovery Media..... usually there is a program that can create the recovery Media for you.
    We all skip that part....
    On most laptops there is a recovery partition
    Microsoft offers an option to create a System Repair Disk and backup.

The computer is not "Destroyed"
    if you would take a Linux distribution now, it would take about 20 minutes to be back up and running
    We are the ones that destroy things.... by not creating backups (sorry)

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Yeah, thanks. I stopped reading the thread around the 10th post, too many vents, not much help offered, so I offered some help.

If only I read one more post!

I you actually read the thread .... indeed
    Oh, the shame !!!!!

*Roflmao2

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Microsoft launches youth employment plan!

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  9. jettman33 Win User
    My computer was destroyed when I tryed to go back to windows 7 because I don't need a desktop cell phone and yes I did a complete back up, 3 disk recovery, this is not my 1st rodeo with incompetent customer service and support. I have to completely start over from where I was 2 yrs ago. All I get is a dos looking screen saying "windows failed to start, error 0xc00000f, required device inaccessible". I have tried everything possible short of a complete clean install and that's what I'm doing now. Some one let me know when that class action lawsuit starts in the mean time I guess I'll be getting a refresh on Ubuntu. P.S. I am A+&Network cert. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

jettman33, Aug 17, 2015
  10. What's wrong with your complete backup? Or was it a two year old backup?
    Just askin'

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2015
  11. jettman33 Win User
    No matter what I do I get the same message" windows failed to start, status:0xc00000f required device inaccessible". I have even got Dell involved. Only thing I can come up with is wiped out drivers too. I have a dell xps8700 that I upgraded for eye finity and that was only mod I made. Has updated repair disk that got me about as close as I could get. Would start to load windows little things would start to spin then same message.

jettman33, Aug 17, 2015
  12. jettman33 Win User
    Thanks Mark, I also have read literally 100's of post of people with down systems now. I did what was required because I have been doing it for 30yrs and still crashed mine. Just wonder how many people will be going to linux base systems now that Microsoft wants desktops, etc,.. to work like cell phones now?

jettman33, Aug 18, 2015
  13. jettman33 Win User

Hey would have probably worked to a point. Assuming that anyone bothers to read that.

jettman33, Aug 18, 2015
  14. owensdj Win User
    The fact that you keep claiming that Windows 10 "works like a cell phone," makes me think you're an anti-Microsoft troll.

owensdj, Aug 18, 2015
  15. jettman33 Win User
    That's why I don't pay you to think Mr Microsoft employee of the month. Just stating facts and asking questions.

jettman33, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. windows has destroyed my computer - Similar Threads - has destroyed computer

2. Windows 11 has destroyed my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 has destroyed my laptop: I have a Surface Book 2 and I did the auto update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. My laptop no longer boots. I downloaded the Surface book 2 rescue from the Microsoft website. I got the laptop to boot with the rescue disk burned to bootable USB. I get the menus for the...
  3. Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer: Computer fan runs continuously with no programs open. Zoom lags so badly it’s completely unusable and my entire livelihood revolves around zoom. I can’t downgrade because they put a stupid 10-day limit on reverting for some asinine reason. Microsoft, y’all truly hate your...
  4. Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Destroyed My Computer: Computer fan runs continuously with no programs open. Zoom lags so badly it’s completely unusable and my entire livelihood revolves around zoom. I can’t downgrade because they put a stupid 10-day limit on reverting for some asinine reason. Microsoft, y’all truly hate your...
  5. Windows 11 Destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Destroyed my computer: Hello,I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but...
  6. Windows 11 Destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Destroyed my computer: Hello,I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but...
  7. Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely: Windows live update September-october 2020 drivers update and install failure with the 2004 version win 10 pro I had done the media creation took process and every other process thats been listed to sort it. I also had the nvidia geforce gtx970 vga card device drivers...
  8. Windows update destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update destroyed my computer: I am honestly in a lose of words. I have owned a Apple computer since I was 6 years old. I had to switch to a PC for school. I can not describe the the issues with Windows 10. I mean a company like this still can not get it together is sad. The solution...hey just delete...
  9. Is windows update destroying my computer ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is windows update destroying my computer ?: Okay recently i've installed the new windows update Just after rebooting it started being very slow and crashing very easily. It happened to me before when I get from windows 8 to 10 but it wasn't that bad like blue screen of death once a month. And 3 day after installing it...
  10. Update build 10586 has destroyed parts of my computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update build 10586 has destroyed parts of my computer: Hi guys, so as soon as I heard about the new build, I went to install it. After it finished and booted back up, it displayed several notifications about removing apps because they weren't compatible, well thanks for confirming this with me *Huh Then I come to find that...