Windows 10: Windows has lost all files and settings

Discus and support Windows has lost all files and settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm asking here as the support chat seems to be malfunctioning and I can't open the help app... I turned on my PC as normal a couple of days ago. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JimBridgeman, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Windows has lost all files and settings

I'm asking here as the support chat seems to be malfunctioning and I can't open the help app...

I turned on my PC as normal a couple of days ago. On booting I realised that all my personal preferences were gone. All accounts on programs, passwords, bookmarks and pinned items of the taskbar, it was like a fresh instal of windows but without the installed programs being removed.

I went to documents and found that all my documents were seemingly gone, I later found them by going to users and opening a numbered folder in there.

I decided to use a restore point to reset back to a few days before but this would not complete, I left it overnight and it seemed to always stick at "recovering registry".

On rebooting from this I found everything to be the same but I could no longer find any of my files, not even by searching for them. Strangely a few files seemed to have survived in "my pictures" but that is it.

This seemed to happen at the same time as an update for edge, not sure if this was a windows update at the same time?

I run 3 businesses from this PC so really need those files back!

:)

JimBridgeman, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

windows 10 force upgrade! stuck at welcome screen and lost all files after upgrade.

Hi,

Are you able to log into computer?

This issue might have occurred because of upgrade file corruption. Follow the steps below and check.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.

You may also refer the link below to find the lost files.

Find lost files after the update to Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Do let us know if you are able to log into computer and get all the files and folders.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jul 2, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Windows has lost all files and settings

Lost Picture ID + all photo files and Touchpad

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would like to ask if the option to keep files and settings was selected at the time of roll back to previous version.

Also, some files may be hidden. So, I suggest you to check the size of the drive where the photos were saved. If the files are hidden, suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type/ (copy & paste) the below command line.
    Attrib –h –r –s /s /d D:*.* (Replace the letter ”D” with the drive letter where the photos were saved)

Check if the photos are available.

For the ID picture on sign-in, can set it again by following the steps below:

• Go to PC Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • In the right pane, click on Browse under Add a Picture.
    • Select the desired picture and click on OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows has lost all files and settings

1. Windows has lost all files and settings - Similar Threads - has lost files

2. Reinstalled windows and lost all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalled windows and lost all my files: I have recently reinstalled windows on my PC as my windows was previously corrupted. I have lost all my files, but my hard drives still full of data. When I try to access that data and all my files I find nothing. I have gone through many videos and websites telling me to...
  3. Reinstalled windows and lost all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalled windows and lost all my files: I have recently reinstalled windows on my PC as my windows was previously corrupted. I have lost all my files, but my hard drives still full of data. When I try to access that data and all my files I find nothing. I have gone through many videos and websites telling me to...
  4. Computer has lost all functionality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer has lost all functionality: Hello,I have recently reset my computer after noticing some weird problems, such as the volume randomly going really quiet, even though the volume being on max, apps randomly being deleted and readded, and the keyboard layout being switched. But this isnt the actual...
  5. Computer has lost all functionality

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer has lost all functionality: Hello,I have recently reset my computer after noticing some weird problems, such as the volume randomly going really quiet, even though the volume being on max, apps randomly being deleted and readded, and the keyboard layout being switched. But this isnt the actual...
  6. OneDrive: LOST ALL FILES!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive: LOST ALL FILES!: Well, for some unknown reason ALL my OneDrive files are LOST. Anyway to get them back? A message on my Win10Pro system said I could recover them from the Recycle Bin but they aren't there. Zilch. Thoughts? This wasn't during an upgrade. I have been copying pictures and...
  7. Lost settings and files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost settings and files: After rebooting, my monitor resets to microsoft default settings and my pictures and document folders are empty. This started after the new Micrsoft Edge loaded. I have reset everything several times and every time I reboot, I lose everything....
  8. All touchpad settings are lost

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All touchpad settings are lost: Hi, I seem to have lost the function of my touchpad. I cannot find anything about it in my laptop. One day it was working just fine, the next thing it was gone as if it was never there. In device manager I can only find my wireless mouse, which I now use. Before I was able...
  9. Reset but keep all personal files - all files lost.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset but keep all personal files - all files lost.: I was having trouble with being signed in to a temporary account so in the windows boot recovery I chose to reset my PC keeping all my personal files. 20 mins later however, I return to find my pc reset - and none of my files are there. Literally the only stuff left was a few...
  10. File Explorer has lost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer has lost files: I had my documents and pictures on a second drive. I took it out. Now those folders under "This PC" in File Explorer tell me to insert a drive when I click on them because it is looking for D:/Documents. (It is correct in Libraries and Quick Access.) It isn't a major problem...