Windows 10: Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives

Discus and support Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Recently, I noticed that some USB flash drives were not mounted automatically. Initially I've thought it's not big deal, and just mounted them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Msprg, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Msprg Win User

Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives

Hello,

Recently, I noticed that some USB flash drives were not mounted automatically. Initially I've thought it's not big deal, and just mounted them manually.

But then, after restart, Windows decided to mount nothing but C: . I've already tried about a dozen tutorials about this, fiddling with mountvol.exe and diskpart.exe, both of which says that "Automatic mounting of new volumes is enabled".

In the meantime, I started mounting drives manually after each reboot - yeah, not really a solution, is it. But 2 things were different:

1. When I manually mounted some drive, normally it would just after successful mount appear in the This PC, and sometimes even automatically open the root of the just mounted drive. Now, it does not show in This PC, I must refresh This PC in the explorer at least once, to at least see a new mount appear. It no longer does automatically open in new explorer window.

2. When I disconnect the drive, normally, even if it was a manually mounted, after disconnecting the mount would automatically disappear from This PC. Currently though, the mount does not disappear, and the only way I can make it go away (besides rebooting), so I can reuse it, is by using mountvol.exe .

Kind of desperately, I did an repair upgrade, although to a 20H2 version of Windows. (BTW it's not as "harmless" as it might be portrayed in the tutorial, for example, it cleaned up my hosts file, and completely removed all of my custom installed certificates from secure store. And I think these are not the only two things that got "cleaned up" and I'll have to repair them)

The only thing that has changed is, that now, Windows mount some of the external USB drives, but for example my D: drive that is internal SATA drive, gets unmounted after about two reboots, then I have to manually mount it again, and that again lasts for about two reboots.

So, the current version I am running is 20H2.

Hope we come up with some ideas, thanks!

:)

Msprg, Dec 3, 2020

2. Drive not mounted

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that WD passport and
    Seagate Free Agent Goflex Desk drive not mounted in the event window. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and I will be happy to assist you.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• As you are able to find the drivers in device manager, are you able to find the drivers in Disk management also?
    Please refer the suggestions given by
    Imran Chand in the below link and check if that helps.

External HDD will not mount on one machine

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Dec 3, 2020
  3. Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

runevirage, Dec 3, 2020
  4. 5ggggg Win User

mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

Hi to all,
    I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C and D partition.
    My desktop shortcurts point to D:\myPortableProgsPath\... to call those portable programs.
    The local built in D: has just a subset (copy) of the ext. drive which I sync occasionally.

So far I created a desktop shorcut to mount the ext.Drive like this:
    Code:
    extSSD_D.bat:
    Mount external(partion name=extSSD) as D: and internal(partion name=daten) as E: . If external not present mount internal as D:
    Code:
    Now I thought about a 2nd shorcut (and .bat) to safely eject the external and call the above .bat to remount the internal D again.

1 That would OK, if there is a way to call the Win10 built in eject from a .bat (I am to old to learn PowerShell ;-). I read those.

1a And I tried mountvol /D, but this unmounts the drive not matter a file is opened ! It just removes the drive letter and does not unmount the device.
    mountvol /P like diskpart REMOVE ALL DISMOUNT unmounts the device BUT if one reconnects the drive you have to manually assign a letter again :-(...

1b this works:
    Code:
    but what if the drive letter is not assigned ...

This would be great if there is a methode that works on the volume or volume label - any idea ??

2 What would be great too:
    Whenever my external drive is connected, I want it to substitute D: and when diconnected the second partition of the builtin drive should be D: again. The thing is that there are several kinds od disconnect that could happen... e.g. eject via taskbar (tray) safe eject, during power off or accidentenly,... so maybe soltion 1 is the more secure way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

no ideas ;-) ?

5ggggg, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives - Similar Threads - has stopped mounting

2. External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10: My installation of Windows 10 is no longer able to mount partitions on external USB hard disks. The drives are recognized, they show up in the Device Manager, but the file system NTFS is not recognized and not mounted. In Disk Management, the partition is shown as healthy...
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. USB external drives not mounting

USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  5. Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives: Hello, Recently, I noticed that some USB flash drives were not mounted automatically. Initially I've thought it's not big deal, and just mounted them manually. But then, after restart, Windows decided to mount nothing but C: . I've already tried about a dozen tutorials...
  6. Can't mount external hard drive

Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  7. mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically: Hi to all, I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C and D partition. My desktop shortcurts point to D:\myPortableProgsPath\... to call those portable programs. The local built...
  8. mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically: Hi to all, I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C and D partition. So many of my desktop shortcurts point to D:\myAppPath\... to call those portable programs. The local built...
  9. External USB drive wont mount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB drive wont mount: Windows 10 Version 1909 OS18363.720 My 16tb glyph drive is formated for Exfat and all partitions mount on Mac laptop BUT on my windows 10 PC I only see 2 partitions of 16 and I am not able to ifx in disk manager or by scanning the disks. I read that this Windows Version...
  10. Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup

Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup: Hello. Basically I've got the problem it says in the title. Every single time I boot up Windows on my laptop, this second partition on my SSD will not be assigned a drive letter. I have to go into disk management and assign it every time. I've already scanned the drive for...