Windows 10: Windows has stopped recognizing microphone

Discus and support Windows has stopped recognizing microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old-fashioned handheld microphone worked perfectly for months. Plugged into the mic jack on the back of my desktop. Now Windows won't recognize it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Doug8823, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Doug8823 Win User

Windows has stopped recognizing microphone

My old-fashioned handheld microphone worked perfectly for months. Plugged into the mic jack on the back of my desktop. Now Windows won't recognize it. When I plug it in, a pop-up asks me what device I plugged in. I select "mic." But then I test the mic and it says it's not plugged in. What gives?

:)

Doug8823, Dec 13, 2019
  2. Aceman.au Win User

Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Microphone suddenly stopped working

My microphone is still not working. I even checked the BIOS as someone had suggested but there is no listing for the microphone in there.

JonStoffelsen, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Recognizing a Microphone Without Drivers?

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your device. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

• Run the Recording Audio troubleshooter
    Method 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled and is set as default.

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

a) Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

b) Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

c) Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.

d) You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows has stopped recognizing microphone - Similar Threads - has stopped recognizing

2. Windows stopped recognizing any external microphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stopped recognizing any external microphones: Hi,all of a sudden windows stopped recognizing any external mics. So now every time i have a conf call i have to use Realtek mic which is integrated with my All in One computer. At the same time i started to see Realtek - SoftwareComponent - 12.223.1124.201 update issue. It...
  3. Windows stopped recognizing any external microphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stopped recognizing any external microphones: Hi,all of a sudden windows stopped recognizing any external mics. So now every time i have a conf call i have to use Realtek mic which is integrated with my All in One computer. At the same time i started to see Realtek - SoftwareComponent - 12.223.1124.201 update issue. It...
  4. Word stopped recognizing my onboard microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word stopped recognizing my onboard microphone: On 5/14/21 I used the dictation feature in Microsoft word and used the default laptop onboard microphone. I tried to use it again recently and I get an error message stating " Oops There was a problem with dictation. There is a problem with your microphone. Office can not...
  5. My microphone has stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My microphone has stopped working: Trouble shooting brought up a message saying Generic Audio Driver Detected and the a yellow triangle with an ! It was working yesterday. What changed is that I activated Cortana and that seems to hear me but nothing else does? The microphone is within my computer...
  6. Computer stop recognizing microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer stop recognizing microphone: Hi, My computer stop recognizing my microphone during live meetings. Everything could be fine for 15 minutes and then the problem starts. The consequence is I can't hear the participants and they can't hear me. Sometimes there is a loud noise. I need do restart my...
  7. Windows not recognizing microphone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not recognizing microphone?: So this just happened maybe half an hour ago? I was in a discord call with a friend when all of a sudden my headset mic just cut out. Restarted my pc and still nothing, I tried using multiple different ports and nothing. Even went into my pc and made sure everything was...
  8. USB microphone stopped being recognized

USB microphone stopped being recognized: Hello, I have been using my MXL Tempo microphone for around a year now and everything has been perfect with it until now. Around 3 weeks ago my mic stopped being recognized when I bought a boom arm for it and unplugged it and replugged it for setting all the cables and...
  9. "Your microphone has stopped working"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Your microphone has stopped working": This happens to me perhaps every 15 minutes when I'm in conference calls using hangouts/meet in chrome, or zoom. It happens with both my Bose QC35II and my Sony WF-1000X. Sometimes I can get it going by just reloading the page in chrome. Sometimes I have to restart chrome. It...
  10. Microphone stopped being recognized on laptop

Microphone stopped being recognized on laptop: for 2 months i recorded audio with a blue nessie microphone, and i never had a problem with recording. a few days ago, i went to record myself, but i couldn't hear anything from the microphone, not did i hear anything when i recorded. i first checked my cabals and made sure...