Windows 10: Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update.

Discus and support Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am working with a team member whose used to have Windows Hello enabled via convenience key PIN sign-in. After an update the user indicated to me... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TerranAnd, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TerranAnd Win User

Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update.

I am working with a team member whose used to have Windows Hello enabled via convenience key PIN sign-in.

After an update the user indicated to me that this stopped working.

Unfortunately they do not recall which update caused this, they let it go for a few months before reporting it.

When I have dealt with issues like this in the past typically I am able to do one of the following.
    Either
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Systems > Logon > Turn on convenience key PIN sign-in.

Or

1. Press the Windows key and R key, this will open the Run dialogue box for you.

2. Type regedit and press Enter, this will open the Registry Editor.

3. Navigate to the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions

4. In the right pane, under Name look for value. Right-click on it and select Modify.

5. Set the Value data to 1 and click on OK.

Normally this would allow the user to remove their PIN an reconfigure Windows Sign In options to allow sign in by facial recognition or by Pin.
    However now it shows the selection 'Remove Pin' as greyed out, interestingly though they are able to 'Change Pin' and reset their facial recognition login, but on restart both these methods fail.

We have plenty of others who use convenience pin/Windows Hello facial recognition to log in.

Any ideas of what to try to re-enable this for the user?
    Im not sure if this indicates anything helpful for you, but I thought it was interesting that if I go back to computer configuration and disable convenience Pin sign-in and change the reg value to 0, Window still tries to prompt for facial recognition and pin after restart.

:)

TerranAnd, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Disabling "Turn on convenience key PIN sign-in" doesn't work.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to use the Group Policy Editor Console to override the ability to use PIN sign-in feature on your system. This option is used within the Domain systems to configure the PIN sign-in feature.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Steps to disable PIN sign-in feature through registry:

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However,
    serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. To do
    that, you may refer the article on
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. Press the Windows key and
      R key, this will open the Run dialogue box for you.
    2. Type regedit and press
      Enter, this will open the Registry Editor.
    3. Navigate to the location:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions

4. In the right pane, under
      Name look for value. Right-click on it and select
      Modify.
    5. Set the Value data to
      0 (setting it to 1 will enable the PIN sign-in feature) and click on
      OK.
    6. Restart the system and check if the PIN option is disabled in the Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

If the issue still persists, since you are trying to make changes in the Group Policy Editor Console,
    I would suggest you to post your query in IT Pro ‘TechNet’ forums,
    where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on issues with the Group Policy Editor Console to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Login with PIN and Hello

Hi Jean,

Windows 10 includes multiple options to sign-in to your account, including the ability to sign-in using a PIN and Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition. For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we need additional information. Can
    you answer the questions below?

• How are you setting the PIN and Hello?
    • Which build version of Windows is your PC running on?
    • Were there any error codes or messages?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how to set up PIN.

• Open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click Sign-in options.
    • Click the Add button for the PIN and set your PIN.
    • Do the same for the Windows Hello.

Looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update.

Disabling "Turn on convenience key PIN sign-in" doesn't work.

Windows 10

I used gpedit.msc to update the computer's turn on convenience key PIN sign-on from "Not Configured" to "Disabled" but disabling it didn't work. I expected it to override all accounts' abilities to use pins. I tested that a user could still sign on with
    a pin. I even rebooted and verified setting was still "Disabled" when I logged back in.

This is a security problem because pins are easier to figure out than good passwords. I also figured out kids in the family are using this to get around family time limits by going into other peoples' accounts, so it isn't just hypothetical

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Systems > Logon > Turn
    on convenience key PIN sign-in

Expected behavior: Changing to "Disabled" prevents users from logging on with pin.

Actual behavior: Changing to "Disabled' has no effect.

I also don't want to remove pins for certain family members from the Microsoft account. I just want to disable it from being used on this computer.

Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update. 3bcb2703-e766-4c13-a707-421cf99897a9?upload=true.png

netdragon2010, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update.

1. Windows Hello and convenience key PIN sign-in Issues after update. - Similar Threads - Hello convenience key

2. issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello: I cant seem to login using any of the options given, but what im mostly worried about is that I'am unable to log in at the moment to my adminstrator account using the usuall PIN key that I used to log in with. As will as not being able to reset the Pin key at all not in...
  3. issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello: I cant seem to login using any of the options given, but what im mostly worried about is that I'am unable to log in at the moment to my adminstrator account using the usuall PIN key that I used to log in with. As will as not being able to reset the Pin key at all not in...
  4. Windows Hello sign-in security key issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello sign-in security key issue: After inserting security key there are only two options: "Change security key pin" and "Reset security key". There is no option to use it for windows logon. I do not want to use PIN to sign into my account. Only password with security key or just security key. Any advice...
  5. Windows Hello sign-in security key issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello sign-in security key issue: After inserting security key there are only two options: "Change security key pin" and "Reset security key". There is no option to use it for windows logon. I do not want to use PIN to sign into my account. Only password with security key or just security key. Any advice...
  6. Sign in Hello and PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in Hello and PIN: The Hello and Pin Sign in Options are not working. Keep getting errors and restart option. doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-hello-and-pin/ca92c5d4-f081-4a93-85ac-6629bd9f639f
  7. Unable to set Convenience PIN

Unable to set Convenience PIN: Hello, I am assisting an end user with setting up a convenience PIN on an AD-joined device, but am having a difficult time being able to enable the option! I am continually getting the message that the option is not available, and "Something went wrong. Try again later."...
  8. Issues with Windows Hello PIN

Issues with Windows Hello PIN: Hello everyone : This morning I booted up my Windows 10 HP Omen. I have a short and sweet pin that I normally use as my password. At sign in the laptop prompted me that I needed to update my pin. I did not see a way to bypass this, so I figured I'd update my pin, log in,...
  9. Window's Hello pin issues

Window's Hello pin issues: When I try to setup a Window's Hello pin, I follow trough Sign In Options, Go to windows hello pin, It says " sorry - this pin isn't working for your organisations resources. tap or click here to fix it, I click on that and follow through, A window pops up saying Set Up Pin,...
  10. Disabling "Turn on convenience key PIN sign-in" doesn't work.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disabling "Turn on convenience key PIN sign-in" doesn't work.: Windows 10 I used gpedit.msc to update the computer's turn on convenience key PIN sign-on from "Not Configured" to "Disabled" but disabling it didn't work. I expected it to override all accounts' abilities to use pins. I tested that a user could still sign on with a pin. I...