Windows 10: Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

Discus and support Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am struggling with a set of related Microsoft account login questions. It crosses some Windows Hello, password/PIN, Authenticator and two step... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Thomas E. Davis, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

I am struggling with a set of related Microsoft account login questions. It crosses some Windows Hello, password/PIN, Authenticator and two step verification boundaries. The question set up is as follows -

1. Valid Microsoft user account

2. Windows 10 PC with matching PIN user account login

3. iPhone with Microsoft Authenticator app

4. Microsoft account configured to use iPhone/Authenticator login verification

When I attempt online login to my Microsoft account from my PC, I receive a login approve/deny prompt on my iPhone. Selecting approve successfully completes the login. If I then visit the "Additional security options" page in my Microsoft account, I find a link for setting up two step verification. That is, although I just used Microsoft Authenticator on my iPhone to approve the network login from my PC to my Microsoft account, I apparently do not have to two step verification configured for login access to my Microsoft account. What am I failing to understand? Am I not using two step verification when I log in as described? If I select the "Set up two step verification" link and successfully complete the setup, what account security features will I enable that are not already in place?

:)

Thomas E. Davis, Mar 4, 2020

2. two step authentication

Please check our Windows Phone support article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2432933

Did you recently enable two-step verification on your Microsoft account?

If you turned on two-step verification for your Microsoft account, you will have to perform an extra step to sign in on Windows Phone. Windows Phone can't prompt you to enter a security code when you try to sign in. Therefore, you'll have to create a unique
    app password to use when signing into Windows Phone with a Microsoft account that has two-step verification turned on.

To create a unique app password for your Microsoft account, go here:

For more information, see the following Microsoft account help and how-to article:

After you create an app password for your Microsoft account, enter it as your password on Windows Phone. To do this, go to Settings
    > Email+Accounts. Tap Microsoft account, enter your app password, then tap Done.

Mike Mongeau, Mar 4, 2020
  3. DianeLouw Win User
    Turning off 2 step verification

i have the 2 step verification DISABLED under my settings yet when i try to retrieve mail it keeps asking me to logg into google and it takes me thru process and gives me an authentication code. What must i do with this code? I dont want the 2 step verification!!!

DianeLouw, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

Two step verification

The 2 step verification works, it's just that I don't understand why it behaves the way I described. Why doesn't it immediately confirm after I select "yes", instead of asking me to try another way to sign in?

kitpzyxmsir, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

1. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification - Similar Threads - hello Authenticator step

2. Two Step verification not working everytime

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Two Step verification not working everytime: Recently I was notified that my Microsoft account password had been changed, and I had not changed it. I've been in the process of increasing my security by adding the two step verification. It seems to work sporadically. I have signed into my microsoft account online and...
  3. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  4. Two Step verification problem

Two Step verification problem: I have a personal computer at home and all of a sudden everytime I sign into my computer and go to my websites to sign in, I am asked to go through a two step verification. How did this change? How do I fix it? I am using Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge....
  5. Security Issues in Two-step Verification

Security Issues in Two-step Verification: The issue: I changed my password for Microsoft about a month ago because my Spotify account was successfully logged into from Russia. I live in Tucson, AZ. Apparently that didn't raise a flag for them. I had been fairly lazy lately and had the same password for multiple...
  6. Turn off two-step verification function is invalid

Turn off two-step verification function is invalid: I have turned off the account two-step verification, but account sign-in still need to verify my identity with security codes. I have read this article how-to-use-two-step-verification but it can't resolve my problem, I hope to disable two-step verification, only need input...
  7. Two step Verification and Office 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two step Verification and Office 365: Hi, Since the two step has been activated, I cannot access emails from the Outlook desktop app. It works on iOS and webmail though It keeps asking for credentials, but nothing happens. I tried my usual password and the app password, but nothing changes. Help much...
  8. Not receiving two-step verification code via text

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not receiving two-step verification code via text: I've forgotten my password to my windows account which is the only admin account. I've received the code via backup email and I've tried to get the second via text. I've clicked it so many times that it gave me an error message saying "You've requested too many codes today....
  9. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...
  10. Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification: How to: Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification [img] Information Two-step verification uses two ways to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account: Your password An extra security code Two-step verification helps protect your...