Windows 10: Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

Discus and support Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am struggling with a set of related Microsoft account login questions. It crosses some Windows Hello, password/PIN, Authenticator and two step... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Thomas E. Davis, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

I am struggling with a set of related Microsoft account login questions. It crosses some Windows Hello, password/PIN, Authenticator and two step verification boundaries. The question set up is as follows -

1. Valid Microsoft user account

2. Windows 10 PC with matching PIN user account login

3. iPhone with Microsoft Authenticator app

4. Microsoft account configured to use iPhone/Authenticator login verification

When I attempt online login to my Microsoft account from my PC, I receive a login approve/deny prompt on my iPhone. Selecting approve successfully completes the login. If I then visit the "Additional security options" page in my Microsoft account, I find a link for setting up two step verification. That is, although I just used Microsoft Authenticator on my iPhone to approve the network login from my PC to my Microsoft account, I apparently do not have to two step verification configured for login access to my Microsoft account. What am I failing to understand? Am I not using two step verification when I log in as described? If I select the "Set up two step verification" link and successfully complete the setup, what account security features will I enable that are not already in place?

:)

Thomas E. Davis, Mar 4, 2020

2. two step authentication

Please check our Windows Phone support article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2432933

Did you recently enable two-step verification on your Microsoft account?

If you turned on two-step verification for your Microsoft account, you will have to perform an extra step to sign in on Windows Phone. Windows Phone can't prompt you to enter a security code when you try to sign in. Therefore, you'll have to create a unique
    app password to use when signing into Windows Phone with a Microsoft account that has two-step verification turned on.

To create a unique app password for your Microsoft account, go here:

For more information, see the following Microsoft account help and how-to article:

After you create an app password for your Microsoft account, enter it as your password on Windows Phone. To do this, go to Settings
    > Email+Accounts. Tap Microsoft account, enter your app password, then tap Done.

Mike Mongeau, Mar 4, 2020
  3. DianeLouw Win User
    Turning off 2 step verification

i have the 2 step verification DISABLED under my settings yet when i try to retrieve mail it keeps asking me to logg into google and it takes me thru process and gives me an authentication code. What must i do with this code? I dont want the 2 step verification!!!

DianeLouw, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

Two step verification

The 2 step verification works, it's just that I don't understand why it behaves the way I described. Why doesn't it immediately confirm after I select "yes", instead of asking me to try another way to sign in?

kitpzyxmsir, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification

1. Windows hello, Authenticator and two step verification - Similar Threads - hello Authenticator step

2. two step verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  3. two step verification

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  4. two step verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two-Step Verification Process

Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  6. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  7. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  9. Two Step verification problem

Two Step verification problem: I have a personal computer at home and all of a sudden everytime I sign into my computer and go to my websites to sign in, I am asked to go through a two step verification. How did this change? How do I fix it? I am using Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge....
  10. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...