Windows 10: Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed

Discus and support Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is only a veiled question to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RKBraden, Feb 8, 2021.

1. RKBraden Win User

Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed

This is only a veiled question to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or companies that didn't buy licenses or include all features for Windows 'Hello'.

If you have a PIN and/or a fingerprint enabled, you can use Windows Hello. But without an IR camera on your device, you cannot use Face. Guess what? Without all features enabled you cannot set a 'Require Sign-in' period so it always defaults to zero. This means that if you leave your computer for a few minutes, it goes to Sleep mode set short for portable battery-operated devices and you have to again log-in each time....a major waste of time and constant aggravation.

I've tried to resolve this with MS support for over 2 years with nothing but a suggestion that I purchase an MS Surface. But I may have hit upon a solution. So my question to the forum is whether this is a permanent solution. My earlier request was to the 'Sleep and Power Off' segment of the forum, with a question and responses from RKBraden and John DeV. Here is the pertinent part of this thread.

I received great help from John DeV on the and this is my reply.

The earlier link you sent did not resolve the problem but led to another solution on that site. The link below seems to address the Windows Hello problem that many have complained about with tablets, convertibles, and laptops. Specifically...

"If you see a Windows hello is preventing some options from being shown message, it means it is not possible to change the Require sign-in setting while Windows Hello ex: face is enabled since it is assumed that you want to use Windows Hello to sign in every time."

The link is...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/158033-change-time-require-sign-after-display-turns-off-windows-10-a.html

This approach is a simple registry edit to change the sign-in time after sleep in 'desktop' mode. The default for non-MS tablets, convertibles, and laptops seems to be zero 0 seconds so you always need to log-in after sleep. I set the time to 900 seconds 15 minutes and then tested it. It seems to work...only time will tell pun intended.

Interestingly, waking up from sleep, the standard Hello log-in set to fingerprint comes up with a message that 'no fingerprint detected'. But hitting 'enter' immediately takes me to where I left off with no log-in required.

So this looks like the solution. Thanks to Tenforums.com. They do an excellent job with screenshots to walk you through the steps.

BTW...I tested this 4 times, including after a cold-start log-in, a restart, and forced sleep. It worked each time.

:)

RKBraden, Feb 8, 2021
  2. Lee101 Win User

Windows 10 sign in requirement

Microsoft should make the W10 sign in requirement optional. I can understand the security necessity in an office or other working environment, but there are many situations where this type of security is not an issue and the sign in is just an added inconvenience.
    I was able to remove my W10 PIN Sign-in in at Sign in Options under Accounts. However, that created an even greater nuisance by requiring my Microsoft account sign in. I noticed an earlier post has outlined steps to remove the account sign in using netplwiz and some registry mods. Is this the way I should proceed now to get W10 to come from boots and sleep without human intervention ?

Lee101, Feb 8, 2021
  3. Stevekir Win User
    How to stop nuisance requirement to sign in after sleep - sole user.

The window I get in the sign-in is different from the one shown in your new tutorial. Please see the attachment.

The red text (in my attachment) strongly implies that I must set a password to allow access to the change I want to make. My computer was set up by my computer shop in exactly the same way as my earlier computer (which it replaced) to make me the Administrator - I never need to use a password. As I am the sole user (desktop machine.) I don't want a password, because setting one might require me to use it every time I start up the computer (which doesn't happen at present - I don't even have to log on) or require a password at other times, all of which would be a nuisance. Once a PW is set, the machine might insist on it being used somewhere.

Is there any way for me to use the computer without any PW, set or required?

If not, would I need to press ADD (my attachment) and go through setting an (unnecessary) PW? What use would it have (apart from getting me to the next window? Would it cause a nuisance elsewhere?

Thanks.
    Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed [​IMG]

Stevekir, Feb 8, 2021
  4. Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed

My hello sign in stopped working.

Hi,

This problem that started after installing the last Windows update might be caused by outdated or corrupted device drivers. For us to better assist you, we'll be needing additional information:

• Are you pertaining on Windows Hello sign-in? If yes, does it mean that the facial recognition is not working?
    • Is there an error message displayed when using Windows Hello?

Meanwhile, it is better to check the status of Windows Hello sign-in option in your computer. To check the Windows Hello status, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Accounts from the list.
    • Select Sign-in options in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Windows Hello, kindly check the status of it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest keeping the device drivers like camera driver up-to-date. For your reference, check this article on how to
    update drivers in Windows 10.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed

1. Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed - Similar Threads - Hello Blocks 'Require

2. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require Windows Hello sign-in: the toggle for Require Windows Hello sign-in is already turned off but the remove option of the Windows Hello PIN is still greyed out. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-windows-hello-sign-in/6279fa62-575a-4a95-a274-844f3d16c80b
  3. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require Windows Hello sign-in: the toggle for Require Windows Hello sign-in is already turned off but the remove option of the Windows Hello PIN is still greyed out. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-windows-hello-sign-in/6279fa62-575a-4a95-a274-844f3d16c80b
  4. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Never Option Missing from Require-Sign In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Never Option Missing from Require-Sign In: We have a Windows 10 Pro mini PC set up to run a Novisign slide show in the main lobby of the Town Hall where I work. We want to stop it from going back to the Sign In screen every 15 minutes, but the "Never" option is missing from the Require Sign-In options and there is a...
  6. Never Option Missing from Require-Sign In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Never Option Missing from Require-Sign In: We have a Windows 10 Pro mini PC set up to run a Novisign slide show in the main lobby of the Town Hall where I work. We want to stop it from going back to the Sign In screen every 15 minutes, but the "Never" option is missing from the Require Sign-In options and there is a...
  7. Never Option Missing from Require-Sign In

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in: I got a new Lenovo laptop computer and it was working great but the last month or so it requires me to login every time I step away...I used to have it set for a longer time iirc because it's in a home setting, but when I go to Sign-in options now it tells me: "Windows Hello...
  9. Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings: This is to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or companies that didn't buy licenses or include all features for Windows 'Hello'. If you have a PIN and/or a fingerprint enabled, you can use...
  10. How to stop nuisance requirement to sign in after sleep - sole user.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to stop nuisance requirement to sign in after sleep - sole user.: I don't have to sign in when starting the computer. No problem there. But after having a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Anniversary Upgrade), (after having an SSD installed) I now have a picture of a tree trunk. To get rid of that I press the Space Bar. Then I get a...