Windows 10: Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings

Discus and support Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or companies that didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RKBraden, Feb 8, 2021.

1. RKBraden Win User

Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings

This is to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or companies that didn't buy licenses or include all features for Windows 'Hello'.

If you have a PIN and/or a fingerprint enabled, you can use Windows Hello. But without an IR camera on your device, you cannot use Face. Guess what? Without all features enabled you cannot set a 'Require Sign-in' period so it always defaults to zero. This means that if you leave your computer for a few minutes, it goes to Sleep mode set short for portable battery-operated devices and you have to again log-in each time....a major waste of time and constant aggravation.

I've tried to resolve this with MS support for over 2 years with nothing but a suggestion that I purchase an MS Surface. But I may have hit upon a solution. So my question to the forum is whether this is a permanent solution. My earlier request was to the 'Sleep and Power Off' segment of the forum, with a question and responses from RKBraden and John DeV on February 8. Here is the pertinent part of this thread.

I received great help from John DeV on this is my reply.

The earlier link you sent did not resolve the problem but led to another solution on that site. The link below seems to address the Windows Hello problem that many have complained about with tablets, convertibles, and laptops. Specifically...

"If you see a Windows hello is preventing some options from being shown message, it means it is not possible to change the Require sign-in setting while Windows Hello ex: face is enabled since it is assumed that you want to use Windows Hello to sign in every time."

The link is...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/158033-change-time-require-sign-after-display-turns-off-windows-10-a.html

This approach is a simple registry edit to change the sign-in time after sleep in 'desktop' mode. The default for non-MS tablets, convertibles, and laptops seems to be zero 0 seconds so you always need to log-in after sleep. I set the time to 900 seconds 15 minutes and then tested it. It seems to work...only time will tell pun intended.

Interestingly, waking up from sleep, the standard Hello log-in set to fingerprint comes up with a message that 'no fingerprint detected'. But hitting 'enter' immediately takes me to where I left off with no log-in required.

So this looks like the solution. Thanks to Tenforums.com. They do an excellent job with screenshots to walk you through the steps.

BTW...I tested this 4 times, including after a cold-start log-in, a restart, and forced sleep. It worked each time.

:)

RKBraden, Feb 8, 2021

2. My hello sign in stopped working.

Hi,

This problem that started after installing the last Windows update might be caused by outdated or corrupted device drivers. For us to better assist you, we'll be needing additional information:

• Are you pertaining on Windows Hello sign-in? If yes, does it mean that the facial recognition is not working?
    • Is there an error message displayed when using Windows Hello?

Meanwhile, it is better to check the status of Windows Hello sign-in option in your computer. To check the Windows Hello status, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Accounts from the list.
    • Select Sign-in options in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Windows Hello, kindly check the status of it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest keeping the device drivers like camera driver up-to-date. For your reference, check this article on how to
    update drivers in Windows 10.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Feb 8, 2021
  3. Face sign in is missing in windows hello

Hi Suvajit,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your query, I suggest you to change the Sign In option and check if it helps.

To change Sign In option, follow the below steps.

• Type Setting in the search area on the taskbar and select
      Settings.

• Select Accounts.

• Select Sign In option on the left panel.

Reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 8, 2021
  4. Nixent Win User

Windows hello has been blocked due to too many sign-on attempts

Hi,

I followed your suggestion. I also noticed that there appeared to be a system update at the same time. Anyway, the issue of the constant error of Windows Hello being blocked appears to be resolved. I have be able to logon successfully using the fingerprint
    reader. However I have on one occasion had Windows hello blocked due to multiple sign-on attempts.

Is there any way to modify the Windows hello blocking settings?

Thanks and regards,

Mark

Nixent, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' settings - Similar Threads - Hello Blocks 'Require

2. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require Windows Hello sign-in: the toggle for Require Windows Hello sign-in is already turned off but the remove option of the Windows Hello PIN is still greyed out. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-windows-hello-sign-in/6279fa62-575a-4a95-a274-844f3d16c80b
  3. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require Windows Hello sign-in: the toggle for Require Windows Hello sign-in is already turned off but the remove option of the Windows Hello PIN is still greyed out. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-windows-hello-sign-in/6279fa62-575a-4a95-a274-844f3d16c80b
  4. Require Windows Hello sign-in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Require windows hello sign-in is turned on, but windows hello options are unavailable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require windows hello sign-in is turned on, but windows hello options are unavailable: When I access my computer I have to attempt to reset my pin but the action always fails making logging into my computer slow and inconvenient. There is a separate but maybe related issue that after my computer goes into sleep mode the sound does not come back on....
  6. Require windows hello sign-in is turned on, but windows hello options are unavailable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require windows hello sign-in is turned on, but windows hello options are unavailable: When I access my computer I have to attempt to reset my pin but the action always fails making logging into my computer slow and inconvenient. There is a separate but maybe related issue that after my computer goes into sleep mode the sound does not come back on....
  7. Require windows hello sign-in is turned on, but windows hello options are unavailable

8. 'Require sign-in' setting is not working

'Require sign-in' setting is not working: I don't want to sign in every time my laptop goes to sleepor when I lock screen using Win+L so I changed the setting by going in Account->Sign-in Option->Require sign-in and made it to never. But still every time I lock screen it is prompting for password.I have tried other...
  9. Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in: I got a new Lenovo laptop computer and it was working great but the last month or so it requires me to login every time I step away...I used to have it set for a longer time iirc because it's in a home setting, but when I go to Sign-in options now it tells me: "Windows Hello...
  10. Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Hello Blocks 'Require Sign-in' - a major nuisance MS never fixed: This is only a veiled question to get info out to those that have been plagued by Windows 10 failure to support users that didn't buy their products or companies that didn't buy licenses or include all features for Windows 'Hello'. If you have a PIN and/or a fingerprint...