Windows 10: Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade

Discus and support Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I've been using a Benss USB fingerprint reader for Windows Hello (Windows 10 Pro) for several months now - and prior to 1903 it worked perfectly -... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Mike Walker-Denver, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade

I've been using a Benss USB fingerprint reader for Windows Hello (Windows 10 Pro) for several months now - and prior to 1903 it worked perfectly - after a resume, it instantly logged me in as soon as the Windows screen appeared and I touched the sensor.

Now I can't get it to work for a login after resume. Here is the behavior:

- It won't work on login after sleep/resume - the screen/login will timeout after repeated tries - no errors, it just doesn't sense the reader.
    - However, if I unplug and plug back in the reader (from the USB port) during this time it will then work instantly.

- It works perfectly for unlocking after locking the PC.

- It works perfectly for logging in after a full boot/startup.

Info:
    - The driver is from Goodix, dated 7/25/17 and version 1.0.0.300. Can't find a newer one that Windows will use.
    - This is Windows 10 Pro on a MSI Tomahawk Z390 motherboard. Updated BIOS.
    - Uninstalling the driver has no effect - same behavior after reloading the driver.
    - Changing USB port has no effect.
    - Removing/recreating fingerprints has no effect.
    - Stopping the biometric service/deleting WinBioBackup and recreating has no effect.
    - Unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device" in device manager has no effect.
    - Disabling "USB selective suspend setting" in power management has no effect.

- No errors or notices in the System event log.

Feels like a bug introduced in 1903. It only fails after sleep/wake - all other times it works fine.

Thoughts?

:)

Mike Walker-Denver, Aug 6, 2019

2. Issue with Fingerprint Scanner when Resuming from Sleep Mode

Hi,

I ran the Power troubleshooter, and then restarted the computer.

After the initial login, I put the system into sleep mode, and then woke it. Upon resuming, I get the Hello screen, and after several seconds (It doesn't matter if I touch the fingerprint scanner or
    not) I get, "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again." If I then touch the fingerprint scanner, Hello recognizes me, and I'm logged in. So, this doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Any suggestions on a next step?

CircuitWizardry, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Issue with Fingerprint Scanner when Resuming from Sleep Mode

I am using a Verifi P5100 Fingerprint scanner with Windows 10. It appears to be installed correctly, as during initial power on, Windows Hello recognizes me, and logs me in.

If I let the system go to sleep, or I put it to sleep, upon resuming, I get the Hello screen, and after several seconds (It doesn't matter if I touch the fingerprint scanner or not) I get, "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again." If I then touch
    the fingerprint scanner, Hello recognizes me, and I'm logged in.

I'm using a Verifi P5100 fingerprint scanner with Windows 10 pro 64 bit on an ASUS Rampage IV black motherboard.

I've tried going to device manager and unchecking the option for the Biometric devices > TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF Advanced Mode) > Properties > Power Management to disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." This results
    in no change to how the scanner works upon resume from Sleep.

Currently I have allowed the latest updates to be installed. I have updates installed with the latest being 8/21 KB3081444.

Previously to the KB3081444, If I would let the system go to sleep, or put it in sleep, it would take about 50-60 seconds before the fingerprint scanner would seem to work. So, the latest update certainly seems to have helped. Seems like there is still
    some Windows 10 / Hello / Driver / Hardware interaction causing an issue.

Any Ideas?

CircuitWizardry, Aug 6, 2019
  4. thepcgod Win User

Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade

Fingerprint sensor not working after laptop resumes from sleep

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and I had my fingerprints set up in Windows 7. When I boot up Windows 10, the fingerprint sensor works fine, and I have no problem. However, when I resume my laptop from sleep (Opening the lid back up), the
    fingerprint sensor does not work at all, and I'm forced to use my password. I am on an HP Pavilion dv7.

thepcgod, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade

1. Windows Hello Fingerprint fails after sleep/resume after 1903 upgrade - Similar Threads - Hello Fingerprint fails

2. Windows "Hello Fingerprint" fails after updating to Win 19042.1237

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows "Hello Fingerprint" fails after updating to Win 19042.1237: Hello,Yesterday I allowed the windows update to run on my Huawei Mate Pro WRT-WX9, updating my Win10 Home version 20H2 to 19042.1237. After that update, my fingerprint is no longer recognized when I login to Windows. At the loggin screen, I get the error "Something went wrong...
  3. After Sleep Windows Hello doesn't unlock via Fingerprint

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    After Sleep Windows Hello doesn't unlock via Fingerprint: Hello Everybody, i hope there is somebody who can help me with this issue.When i wake up my Thinkpad and want to login via Fingerpint it recognized the finger but it goes to another "lock screen" and i have to enter my pin or select pin and put my finger again on the...
  4. After Sleep Windows Hello doesn't unlock via Fingerprint

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After Sleep Windows Hello doesn't unlock via Fingerprint: Hello Everybody, i hope there is somebody who can help me with this issue. When i wake up my Thinkpad and want to login via Fingerpint it recognized the finger but it goes to another "lock screen" and i have to enter my pin or select pin and put my finger again on the...
  5. Windows Hello fingerprint scanner no longer working after upgrade

Windows Hello fingerprint scanner no longer working after upgrade: I have just installed the latest Windows 10 upgrades; upon restarting the laptop the only options to login are a pin and a password; fingerprint doesn't work. When going to settings the system claims "We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello...
  6. Sync Centre failing after upgrading to Windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync Centre failing after upgrading to Windows 10 1903: Hi, my Thinkpad X230 was recently upgraded to release 1903 of Windows 10, and now the Sync Centre / offline files feature is playing up, having previously been very reliable (laptop is on a domain, connected to a Server 2102 Essentials R2 box). Since the 1903 upgrade,...
  7. Window Hello PIN and Fingerprint fail setup in Win 10-1903

Window Hello PIN and Fingerprint fail setup in Win 10-1903: I'm running Windows 10 (enterprise)1903 build 18362.207. I'm trying to setup Windows Hello and Fingerprint with no luck. Every time I'm getting the "Something went wrong. Try again later" error. All Windows Hello features worked fine with my machine in previous version of...
  8. sleep/hibernation issues after upgrade to 1903 (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep/hibernation issues after upgrade to 1903 (Windows 10): Hello, After the windows 10 pro 1903 update in May I am having issues when my dell e7250 system goes to deep sleep. System: E7250 Intel HD Graphics 5500 Docking Station Dell 2405FPW I have an external monitor connected to the system through a dell docking station....
  9. Windows Hello (fingerprint) disables itself after returning from Sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Hello (fingerprint) disables itself after returning from Sleep: Hello. In my Toshiba Satellite I've recently noticed that my Windows Hello fingerprint authentication is disabled each time my laptop returns from sleep (it works fine during reboots or shutdowns and power on). If I want to use fingerprint authentication again, I've to...
  10. Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade: I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10. Usually, when I go to bed at night I close my laptop screen and it goes into sleep. I then wake it up the next day without any issues. But...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. goodix fingerprint bsod

2. goodix fingerprint resume fail

3. fingerprint fails

4. windows fingersprint after sleep,
  5. windows 10 1903 lost finger security