Windows 10: Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected

Discus and support Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm plugging it in via USB hub because I'm on an iMac and that's the only ergonomic way to do it. Reaching around the back side is ridiculous. But 50%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/smoledman, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected

I'm plugging it in via USB hub because I'm on an iMac and that's the only ergonomic way to do it. Reaching around the back side is ridiculous. But 50% of the time I get to the lock screen it's not detected. I verified other devices on the hub are working. Is it just that at the sign-in screen device on the USB hub are not guaranteed to be available yet?

submitted by /u/smoledman
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/smoledman, Nov 24, 2020

2. Fingerprint sensor and Windows Hello

Hi ,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Provide more information to help you better:

1. What are the Windows updates installed on your device recently?

2. Did those updates installed successfully?

3. Are you using the fingerprint scanner externally or is it in-built?

4. What is the make and model of the computer?

Reinstall drivers and compatibility mode.

I suggest you to download and install the latest drives for fingerprint sensor device from the manufacture’s website and check if it gets detected.

If the issue still persist, you may also install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

I suggest you to refer the Wiki article by Andre Da Costa on
    install the drivers.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

After installing the drivers in compatibility mode, follow the steps below and check if you are able to get the sign in option with Biometric.

• Press Windows logo key + I key.

• Click on Accounts.

• Go to Sign in options.

• The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.
    For more information, refer the following Microsoft help article.

Biometric Devices

Biometric Devices (Windows Drivers)

Try to navigate as mentioned below and check if you're able to setup the Windows Hello.

* Click Start

* Select Settings and navigate to Accounts /> Sing-In options /> Windows Hello

* Check whether you're able to make changes to the setting and setup Windows Hello there.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Windows doesn't recognize my laptop's fingerprint sensor.

Hello,

I just bought a used HP elitebook 840 G2 which has a fingerprint sensor, I tried to link it to windows hello but couldn't. Tried to check if my fingerprint sensor drivers are up to date but couldn't even find one so I installed it from the windows website.
    Now that I installed it I still can't find it on my drivers list and windows hello still can't detect a fingerprint sensor on my laptop. Happy holidays and merry christmas to everyone.

YassirEl Hachimi, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected

How to enable fingerprint sensor while in domain and linux active directory

In my office we have a Linux based server (nethserver) which handles stuff like samba share, DHCP, and newly added: active directory (for our Windows clients) etc.

Now because of the lack of security I decided to use the server as AD controller to enable domain user login on the Windows clients.

So now I really want to use a fingerprint sensor for the colleges to login but it is greyed out in the account settings.

So what is working:

• Active Directory on Server
    • adding windows PC to domain
    • login as a domain user on windows mashine

What I need to work:

• fingerprint sensor login (windows hello maybe?)
    • I think PIN login is required for fingerprint login (?)

What I have already tried:

• in GPO allowed fingerprint sensor login (computer config AND user config (just to be sure) and Windows Hello, PIN login.

I think I read somewehere that I HAVE TO use a Windows Server domain to enable Windows Hello for Business and so the PIN login or Fingerprint sensor.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround to enable fingerprint reader for Windows clients in a domain?

Sethologik, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected

1. Windows Hello fingerprint sensor(external) not always detected - Similar Threads - Hello fingerprint sensor

2. Fingerprint sensor not detected - Asus Vivobook flip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint sensor not detected - Asus Vivobook flip: My fingerprint sensor suddenly stopped working. It put my laptop to sleep, and when turned back on a few minutes later it wasnt recognised anymore. I checked everything, updates, driver updates, I removed and reinstalled the specific driver, restarted the laptop. It didn't...
  3. Windows hello fingerprint sensor not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows hello fingerprint sensor not available: Good afternoon people!I have HP Elitebook 850 G5 i5 7th gen with latest windows and hardware updates. But I can't setup fingerprint sensor in sign in option. I included a pic of the system and have a biometric scanner gutter on the laptop body. Please help me solve this...
  4. Windows hello fingerprint sensor not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows hello fingerprint sensor not available: Good afternoon people!I have HP Elitebook 850 G5 i5 7th gen with latest windows and hardware updates. But I can't setup fingerprint sensor in sign in option. I included a pic of the system and have a biometric scanner gutter on the laptop body. Please help me solve this...
  5. Windows hello fingerprint sensor not available

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. Fingerprint Sensor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint Sensor: Hi I am using Huawei Matebook D15 2022 on a Windows 10 OS. My fingerprint sensor stopped working and i cant find biometrics in the device manager. What should I do or is there I site where I can download a driver for it? Thanks....
  7. Windows can not detect my fingerprint sensor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows can not detect my fingerprint sensor: I fresh installed my windows in my Asus Vivobook x510uf, and when I decided to setup my fingerprint lock in sign in options, this occurred-But I was using the fingerprint for almost an year before fresh install. And I have installed the driver for the same from Asus' sitewhat...
  8. Fingerprint sensor not detected

Fingerprint sensor not detected: I've got a hp ProBook and got a fingerprint scanner with it but windows douse not detect it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-sensor-not-detected/25564678-3558-42df-9a79-8cca00a8edd5
  9. windows hello / biometric fingerprint sensors

windows hello / biometric fingerprint sensors: My Windows was not getting the first update, due to which I updated the Windows 10 Pro offline, but now in settings, Windows hello and fingerprint sensor biometric service is not working in the account sign Please help me...
  10. Fingerprint sensor not detected

Fingerprint sensor not detected: I bought an Asus F510QA laptop a couple of days ago and setup went smooth. Last night, the fingerprint sensor suddenly stopped working. I tried to locate the driver in the device manage but there was no section for biometrics. It seems like Windows do not recognize that my...