Windows 10: Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off

Discus and support Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop and as always configure the power plan so the SCREEN ONLY turns off after 1 minute. However since this laptop has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fjleon, Jun 29, 2019.

1. fjleon Win User

Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off

I just bought a new laptop and as always configure the power plan so the SCREEN ONLY turns off after 1 minute. However since this laptop has a fingerprint sensor and I enrolled a fingerprint, it locks the computer so i have to provide the password/pin/fingerprint after 1 minute.

The reason is because the value "if you have been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" is being set and forced to Everytime.

If i remove the finger print and set this option to Never, it works as my old version.

This is a bug because the screen off timeout cannot be tied up to the lock screen. Regular windows does not do this, why should just using a fingerprint change the whole behavior?

Please give me a registry hack or something to be able to force this option to Never even if windows hello is active. I'm using Windows 10 Education (which is basically almost like Pro)

:)

fjleon, Jun 29, 2019

2. Display

Hi,

To increase the display timeout, I suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Select Desktop and click Personalization.
    • Select Lock Screen, then Click on Screen time out settings.
    • Change the required time in the drop down under Screen.

Let us know how it goes.

Renaldo cru, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Lock screen not working properly on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Oshith,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in lock screen settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "It is not flapped over to password when clicking", you tried to check the issue by clicking through external mouse?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the picture of the lock screen and also try to update Display Adapter driver.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Step 2: I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off

Ads displayed in Lock Screen

Hi Subhadeep,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen.
    To turn off Windows Spotlight, go to Settings, clickPersonalization,
    select Lock screen, under Background select a different lock screen background.

To avoid messages on your lock screen, you can consider the following:

• Make sure that the "Get fun facts, etc" on your Settings is turned off.
    • Disable “suggestions” that appear as notifications. To do so, follow these steps go to
      Settings, then select System, then click
      Notifications & actions
      and turnoff “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what’s new and
      suggested”.
    • Disable “tips, tricks, and suggestions”. Head to Settings then select
      System, then click Notifications & Actions and disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off

1. Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off - Similar Threads - Hello locks computer

2. Preventing Windows locking pc when display is off when Windows Hello i

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Windows locking pc when display is off when Windows Hello i: Like the title said, is there a to prevent windows from locking my pc after the screen timeout?Its not related to dynamic lock and the setting is screensaver settings. Require sign-in everytime menu is grayed out also Windows 10 20H2 178256
  3. Computer goes off and on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer goes off and on: My computer is 2 years old was working just fine up until 2 days ago when the blue screen came up and said that there was information being gathered and that my computer would be restarted.I came back the next day and turned it on Again I got the blue screen that wouldn't...
  4. Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?: How do I set the screen to go on and off so I don't have to press 2 buttons every time? Bildschirm geht aus und an wenn pc aus und an geht?
  5. Laptop locks automatically and then goes off?

Laptop locks automatically and then goes off?: Hello, For some time now, my laptop sometimes simply locks itself automatically with a blue lock screen and then automatically goes into sleep mode. I use Windows 10 64bit, have an intel Core i5 7200U and a Geforce 940MX. Laptop sperrt sich automatisch und geht dann aus?
  6. Laptop display goes off but computer still running

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop display goes off but computer still running: Hello I hope somebody here can help me with my problem. The display on my laptop sometimes disappears but the computer is still running. It only opens when I have been away and never when I'm actually using it. I can see that the computer is still on because the power lights...
  7. Windows hello lock screen when display goes off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows hello lock screen when display goes off.: I want windows to lock my computer when the display goes off. Is there a way to do so? I'm using windows 10 home. submitted by /u/MononcGeek [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3dqw4/windows_hello_lock_screen_when_display_goes_off/
  8. Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off: My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no avail. Perhaps a fresh reinstall of Windows would fix it? HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0005na...
  9. running processes suspended when display goes off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    running processes suspended when display goes off: I have this annoying behaviour, where very often, running processes are suspended when the display goes off, either after the timout set in Power options, or intentionally with the 'nircmd.exe' utility (I miss a native Windows command to turn off the display manually). This...
  10. Computer turns off display/goes to sleep when idle for a short time

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer turns off display/goes to sleep when idle for a short time: Greetings, and thank you for reading this thread. As the title states, my computer will turn off the display or go to sleep (not sure of correct terminology) when I go idle for a short period of time. For instance, I get up to get a glass of water and when I come back,...