Windows 10: Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

Discus and support Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello *Smile I recently purchased an Alienware 17 R5. For months "Windows Hello" automatically detected my presence and unlocked my laptop ie. I would... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jdb2, Dec 26, 2018.

1. jdb2 Win User

Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

Hello *Smile I recently purchased an Alienware 17 R5. For months "Windows Hello" automatically detected my presence and unlocked my laptop ie. I would sit down, my laptop's proximity sensor(s) would turn the screen on and then the camera would recognize my face. Now, though, when I sit down in front of my laptop, nothing happens -- I have to press a key or wiggle my mouse in order for the lock screen to appear after which "Windows Hello" recognizes my face and logs me in.

I haven't changed anything that would produce the above behavior and I checked that the sensors on my laptop were clean and free of dust/debris.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks,

:)

2. Way to disable proximity sensor?

Why does my Nokia Lumia's screen turn black when in a call? - Nokia FAQ

Your Nokia Lumia phone has a proximity sensor located on the upper part of the front side. When you are in a call the proximity sensor turns off the touch screen to prevent accidental presses. Any object cover the sensor may cause
    detection.

You can take the following steps to check the issue:

• Make or receive a call with the phone.
    • Once the phone is in a call place your hand 1cm above the screen and display will turn off.
    • Remove your hand from above the proximity sensor area and display shall turn back on.
    • Repeat the test steps 1,2,3 for 3 times to verify the proximity sensor function.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Dec 26, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Dec 26, 2018
  4. Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

1. Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user - Similar Threads - Hello longer detects

2. Windows hello no longer works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows hello no longer works: After yesterday's update, I can no longer use pin or biometrics.I found this on the web.It says it has been resolved, do I have any steps to follow to get my fingerprint login to work again or do I have to wait for the next update?...
  3. Windows hello no longer works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows hello no longer works: After yesterday's update, I can no longer use pin or biometrics.I found this on the web.It says it has been resolved, do I have any steps to follow to get my fingerprint login to work again or do I have to wait for the next update?...
  4. Microphone no longer detected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone no longer detected.: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad running Windows 10. The machine is only 2 years old. The entire time during lockdown, my microphone has worked. I haven't used it in 2 months and suddenly before a zoom call today, I got a notice that the microphone is not detected. I haven't been...
  5. Microphone no longer detected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone no longer detected.: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad running Windows 10. The machine is only 2 years old. The entire time during lockdown, my microphone has worked. I haven't used it in 2 months and suddenly before a zoom call today, I got a notice that the microphone is not detected. I haven't been...
  6. Windows Hello no longer available

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello no longer available: I've been using Windows Hello to sign in to my surface pro for about two years now, and today it stopped working and required me to sign in with my pin or password. I went to settings to see if I could fix the problem, and it said I did not have a compatible camera for face...
  7. Windows Hello no longer working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello no longer working: Few weeks ago Windows Hello suddenly stopped working after an update. Lock screen just says, "Sorry, something went wrong. Please enter PIN." When I check the settings in Windows Hello it says "This option is currently unavailable.." "We couldn't find a camera compatible...
  8. Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user: I posted this same question to tenforums.com about a week ago, but I received no response. Hello [IMG]I recently purchased an Alienware 17 R5. For months "Windows Hello" automatically detected my presence and unlocked my laptop ie. I would sit down, my laptop's proximity...
  9. Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows "Hello" no longer detects proximity of user: Hello *Smile I recently purchased an Alienware 17 R5. For months "Windows Hello" automatically detected my presence and unlocked my laptop ie. I would sit down, my laptop's proximity sensor(s) would turn the screen on and then the camera would recognize my face. Now, though,...
  10. Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup: my boys want to play minecraft on the lan. so i create a homegroup. with their machines switched off. then i switch on their machines and see the message that i've created a homegroup. so i click 'join' and input the password. and both machines give me an error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows detect proximity