Windows 10: Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly"

Discus and support Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly" in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Problem: Been using windows hello on my laptop for a year now (since I bought it). I recently got a new pair of glasses, as windows wouldn't recognize... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by FedericoTucci1, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly"

Problem: Been using windows hello on my laptop for a year now (since I bought it). I recently got a new pair of glasses, as windows wouldn't recognize my face anymore I tried the improve recognition option. It failed to open the camera saying that I should check if it worked properly and closed.

My approach to a solution:

1) Rebooted my pc. Same behavior. I thought It was weird because at start I saw the IR leds lighting up, it would search for my face, recognize me (without glasses) and login, but it wouldn't let me improve the recognition later. I opened the Camera app just to check. All good.

2) Did some research and checked for updates in Windows Update, then on the HP support assistant, then on device manager (biometrics and imaging devices), and then on Driver Booster, no relevant updates found on any of those. Updated everything just to be sure. Still the same problem.

3) I did a Recovery (keeping my files) to attempt to start again with a bugless windows installation. Still wouldn't let me improve the recognition.

4) I started to lose my mind at this and removed my face data, that wasn't a good idea as now I couldn't even set it up again. Still the "Couldn't open camera. Check if it works properly." message that closed fast.

5) This was going downhill as now I lost a lot of apps and my pc didn't want to even search for my face anymore.

6) Got to the 'Fresh start' option. Same story.

7) Did a recovery (removing everything) to get it really clean. With an empty PC still my problem persists.

8) Tried editing the group policy, but biometric devices wouldn't even show up there.

I have excluded some extra steps with drivers and solutions that others proposed that led me to nothing or worse scenarios.

My last hope is this forum honestly. Please don't bother to ask if my camera works or if it's IR because it obviously does and is, as windows hello WORKED before and it's what I had been using to login. Also I really don't move it from my desk so I can assure it hasn't been hit or wet.

Any help on this topic would be highly appreciated because I ran out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

specs: Hp spectre x360 13-ac0xx.

***original title: Windows Hello not working anymore and i'm going crazy. Apr 19***

:)

FedericoTucci1, Apr 8, 2019

2. Camera not working

This is not a plug and play device, it's built into my laptop.. lol.

Sorry my bad for not mentioning, the program does install and seem to work fine. It did work when I first installed it, but it stopped working. Even if I freshly reinstall.

Errors are as followed..

When I open the program:

A webcam was not found or is not working properly.
    Please click connect button and try again.

When I click the connect button....

Camera not found. The camera is in use by another application, or not connected. Make sure the camera is connected and working properly, then try again.

It is connected properly, and there are no other programs running in the back ground.

ihavenoname, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Windows Hello not working properly

Hi Jim,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your Windows Hello, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g. updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what specific troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try reinstalling your camera driver to resolve the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Apr 8, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly"

Camera not working

First, plug and pray does not mean where it is physically located, it could be inside or outside of the PC to be plug and play. The point of the post was the Add Hardware Wizard could try to search and locate the hardware, if it was truly available.
    Quote from MS:
    Secondly, the program will not use the device, if, it is not available in the the device manager, so it gives the proper error.

Third, you may have a defective camera or sub-system. You may need to take it for diagnosis and repair to someone who knows how to repair them. Or, if, you know or are willing to try. Then, you may want to crack it open and check that the ribbon cable from the camera to the motherboard is secured in place and not damaged.

Fourth, call or e-mail, ask them who was the vendor for the camera in that laptop and try the vendor site for a generic driver.

Hope you get it resolved.
    Have a good day. *Smile Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly" :)

95Viper, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly"

1. Windows Hello not working. Error: Couldn't open camera, check if it works properly" - Similar Threads - Hello working Error

2. camera not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    camera not working properly: this image is keep on showing on our camera even though I already tried troubleshooting and reinstall the camera driver still the same result, camera light is lighting and the show/hide button on top of the camera is working but it doesn't affect the image appearing on the...
  3. camera not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    camera not working properly: this image is keep on showing on our camera even though I already tried troubleshooting and reinstall the camera driver still the same result, camera light is lighting and the show/hide button on top of the camera is working but it doesn't affect the image appearing on the...
  4. Windows Hello Camera is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello Camera is not working: After doing a clean installation of Windows 11 via bootable USB in my Dell Inspiron 7535 2-1, the face recognition is not working.The face recognition was working properly in Windows 10, before the format. In settings, when I try to set up the face recognition it says "We...
  5. Camera is not working Properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera is not working Properly: Image is not visible properly in both pic&video mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-is-not-working-properly/ed5dca9b-6345-4722-8ab7-6ee8416e6286
  6. Camera not working properly.

Camera not working properly.: I have updated my windows to the latest possible version of windows and still I am unable to use my device camera. I have tried reinstalling the camera from device manager but still it is not functioning properly. [ATTACH]...
  7. Camera is not working properly

Camera is not working properly: After windows 10 update my webcam of laptop is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-is-not-working-properly/7e455eba-73ac-463f-9b5e-1b5c8814a8a7
  8. Camera Is not Working Properly

Camera Is not Working Properly: I just updated my Lenovo with Windows 10. I hosted a Zoom meeting and all I can see is this with the camera on. The same thing happens with my Camera App. Help please![ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows hello not working properly

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows hello not working properly: Yesterday only I got my new laptop. And after few failures of finger scanning my finger print scanner has stopped working. now i get only login pin or password as an option. I tried few options after looking up on internet. kindly help me. Attaching the screenshot also....
  10. Windows Hello Not Working,(We couldn't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face)

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Not Working,(We couldn't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face): All of a sudden my Windows Hello has stopped working and on the lock screen it says, "sorry something went wrong, please enter PIN" and in settings it says We couldn't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face. what do I do?...