Windows 10: Windows hello on external camera

Discus and support Windows hello on external camera in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, i have a Surface Laptop 3 that i have connected to an external monitor using USB-C on both ends. The monitor is a Philips Brilliance 499P and it... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Christian Wærsten, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Windows hello on external camera

Hi, i have a Surface Laptop 3 that i have connected to an external monitor using USB-C on both ends. The monitor is a Philips Brilliance 499P and it has a built in camera that is Windows Hello Compatible.

The problem is that i am not able to set the built in camera as default for Windows Hello when i am connected to the monitor. The camera is accessible when i use Teams, Camera app etc. but i have to use the laptop camera when i need to log in via Windows Hello which is quite annoying.

I have found a couple of guides telling me to go to Devices and Printers, locate the camera there and set it as default. I find the camera there, but there is no option to set it as default. Another tips i have found is disabling the Surface Laptop camera, but this means i would have to reenable it when i disconnect the laptop from the external monitor so that is no good either.

So, does anyone else have the same issue, and even better, anyone have a solution for this? I have run all windows updated, and i have also installed the latest drivers for the monitor.

Thanks in advance :

:)

Christian Wærsten, Feb 11, 2020
  2. MaxPower Win User

Can other programs then Windows Hello access an external IR Camera?

I got two web cameras, one normal and another which has an IR camera build in for my Windows Hello sign in function. I can access my normal camera in various applications but I just don't see any app or other way to open up a viewfinder for the IR Camera except when you set it in Windows Hello.

I have put tape over every web camera (except the IR one) but I'm uncertain if it even is possible to spy on me through that IR camera? Anyone who knows a way to spy on me through it? Or does Windows somehow lock it for 3rd party apps after being connected to the Windows Hello login method?

I want to be able to just login without having to take away and reinstall the tape every time i login. It kind of defeats the purpose of having this ease of use login method to begin with.

Here is an similar camera to the one that I got right now:
    HD webcam 1280 x 720 pix CSL Computer Hello DX1 Stand, Clip mount, Supports Windows Hello | Conrad.com

MaxPower, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Windows Hello camera stuck on turning on the camera

Hi Steven,

Please answer this question to assist you better.

Are you able to log into desktop?

I suggest you to refer the steps suggested by
    Nyima Yonten
    and check if that helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Vicky Acs Win User

Windows hello on external camera

Windows hello

Hi Abdullah,

To resolve this camera issue for your Windows Hello, we suggest that you run Hardware and Device troubleshooter. Refer to the following steps:

• Click on 'search' and select 'settings' and type 'Troubleshooting' and select 'Troubleshooting'
    • Click on 'Hardware and Sound' and select 'Hardware and 'Devices' and click on next to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vicky Acs, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows hello on external camera

1. Windows hello on external camera - Similar Threads - hello external camera

2. Windows Hello Camera

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Camera: Hi. So I updated my windows last night. One of those periodic windows updateI’m not sure which one but I could check. Afterwards I haven’t been able to use my windows facial recognition to sign in. On the Lock Screen I get the “getting ready” option and then nothing happens....
  3. Windows Hello with an external camera

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello with an external camera: I'm trying to use Windows Hello with my external camera compatible but it just will not work.I've tried uninstalling the integrated camera on my laptop yet it still persists to use this for windows hello I have checked by using the improve recognition function. HELP??...
  4. Windows Hello with an external camera

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello with an external camera: I'm trying to use Windows Hello with my external camera compatible but it just will not work.I've tried uninstalling the integrated camera on my laptop yet it still persists to use this for windows hello I have checked by using the improve recognition function. HELP??...
  5. Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop: Ok, this has been working, although a bit of a hit-n-miss sometimes for the screens we have in the office, Philips Brilliance 499P, which have Windows Hello compatible cameras. Most often if I boot my laptop at work and start it with the lid closed the external camera on the...
  6. Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop: Ok, this has been working, although a bit of a hit-n-miss sometimes for the screens we have in the office, Philips Brilliance 499P, which have Windows Hello compatible cameras. Most often if I boot my laptop at work and start it with the lid closed the external camera on the...
  7. windows hello camera

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows hello camera: cannot find compatible camera https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-camera/af04c1eb-0da2-4585-8fdc-605f53e76c07
  8. External Camera for Windows Hello

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Camera for Windows Hello: can we use an external camera for windows smileHello? <Original title: Windows Smile> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-camera-for-windows-hello/b0b29def-b157-443c-8c90-4b08026ee01e
  9. 21H1 fix for external Windows Hello camera support?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    21H1 fix for external Windows Hello camera support?: Can anyone confirm if 21H1 (currently Dev or Beta branch) actually fixed the issues with external Windows Hello cameras when connected to a laptop with a built-in Windows Hello camera? I updated to the latest Beta build (not Dev) as it was supposed to have the fix, but when...
  10. Windows Hello + external camera + tent mode = not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello + external camera + tent mode = not working: Dear All, I have a laptop Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 7390 which I use mainly in tent mode. As the build in camera doesn't support Windows Hello I purchased external one Logitech Brio 4K. Unfortunately I quickly figured out that there is configuration issued that the external camera...