Windows 10: Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open

Discus and support Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello! I have a Surface laptop 3 connected to a Surface Dock original one connected to 2 monitors for my WFH office setup. I recently picked up a... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by JeffyW, Sep 18, 2020.

1. JeffyW Win User

Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open

Hello!

I have a Surface laptop 3 connected to a Surface Dock original one connected to 2 monitors for my WFH office setup. I recently picked up a Logitech Brio with the hopes I can simply leave the laptop closed. Everything seems to work just fine. The camera works great for Teams, and after having disabled both of the integrated cameras on the laptop, I'm able to even use it for Windows Hello.

But the interesting thing is that it *only* works for Windows Hello if the laptop is open. It doesn't have to be open all the way, just cracked is fine, but it does have to be open.

When the laptop is closed, sometimes when it wakes from sleep, I can see the red lights I think this is the IR part on the camera flash a few times, then the white light blinks, then nothing.

When the laptop is opened and I'm at the lock screen, the red lights flash continuously while it's trying to find me. When I dismiss the lock screen, it unlocks the computer, the red lights stop, and the white light blinks.

Any suggestions so I don't have to actually keep it open?

:)

JeffyW, Sep 18, 2020

2. Laptop Camera

Thanks for updating us on the results of the troubleshooting steps that you have completed. Since the built-in webcam is still not working correctly and the same error code 0xA00F4244 (0xC00DABED) is still appearing, we suggest that we check the camera privacy
    settings to see if the camera access is turned on. Kindly follow the steps below to check the camera privacy settings:

• Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Near the top of the Settings app window is the search box, kindly type the word "webcam" or "camera".
    • From the list of results choose Camera privacy settings.
    • Make sure that "Let apps use my camera" toggle is set to On.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    camera not opening

Hello,

We understand that after a Windows 10 update, your camera stopped working properly. This issue may have occurred due to corrupted drivers. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the questions below:

• Are you getting an error message whenever you try to open photos or start the camera?
    • What is the current build and version number of your Windows 10? To check, press the Windows key, type
      winver, and press the Enter key.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this
    article
    and perform the troubleshooting steps given to see if there will be any changes on your Windows 10 camera.

Kindly get back to us.

Xylee Del, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open

camera not working

If you have the camera connected to the computer, I would suggest that you disconnect the camera and then try to open the Camera app.

If the camera app opens, follow the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + C” from your keyboard to open “Charms bar”.
    • Select “Settings” option.
    • Select “Permissions” option.
    • Turn on “Allow this app to access your: Webcam and Microphone” option.
    • Lose the app by pressing “Alt key + F4” from your keyboard.
    • Reopen the Camera app.
    • Connect your camera and then check how this app works.
    Goodluck!

Gina_on_the_thread, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open

1. Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open - Similar Threads - Hello works external

2. Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed: I have a LG Gram laptop that most often is connected to a dock/hub connected to dual monitors and various peripherals, including a Logitech Brio 4K camera, which I bought specifically to use to sign in with Windows Hello facial recognition. The laptop lid is closed when...
  3. Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed: I have a LG Gram laptop that most often is connected to a dock/hub connected to dual monitors and various peripherals, including a Logitech Brio 4K camera, which I bought specifically to use to sign in with Windows Hello facial recognition. The laptop lid is closed when...
  4. Windows Hello with an external camera

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello with an external camera: I'm trying to use Windows Hello with my external camera compatible but it just will not work.I've tried uninstalling the integrated camera on my laptop yet it still persists to use this for windows hello I have checked by using the improve recognition function. HELP??...
  5. Windows Hello with an external camera

Windows Hello with an external camera: I'm trying to use Windows Hello with my external camera compatible but it just will not work.I've tried uninstalling the integrated camera on my laptop yet it still persists to use this for windows hello I have checked by using the improve recognition function. HELP??...
  6. Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop: Ok, this has been working, although a bit of a hit-n-miss sometimes for the screens we have in the office, Philips Brilliance 499P, which have Windows Hello compatible cameras. Most often if I boot my laptop at work and start it with the lid closed the external camera on the...
  7. Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop

Windows Hello, use external camera instead of Laptop: Ok, this has been working, although a bit of a hit-n-miss sometimes for the screens we have in the office, Philips Brilliance 499P, which have Windows Hello compatible cameras. Most often if I boot my laptop at work and start it with the lid closed the external camera on the...
  8. External Camera for Windows Hello

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Camera for Windows Hello: can we use an external camera for windows smileHello? <Original title: Windows Smile> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-camera-for-windows-hello/b0b29def-b157-443c-8c90-4b08026ee01e
  9. Windows Hello + external camera + tent mode = not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello + external camera + tent mode = not working: Dear All, I have a laptop Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 7390 which I use mainly in tent mode. As the build in camera doesn't support Windows Hello I purchased external one Logitech Brio 4K. Unfortunately I quickly figured out that there is configuration issued that the external camera...
  10. Windows hello on external camera

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows hello on external camera: Hi, i have a Surface Laptop 3 that i have connected to an external monitor using USB-C on both ends. The monitor is a Philips Brilliance 499P and it has a built in camera that is Windows Hello Compatible. The problem is that i am not able to set the built in camera as...