Windows 10: Windows Hello With Domain Account

Discus and support Windows Hello With Domain Account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to sign into my PC with Windows Hello using my laptop's fingerprint sensor. However, I sign into Windows using a domain account,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Jonathan Heitz, May 15, 2020.

1. Windows Hello With Domain Account

Hello,

I would like to sign into my PC with Windows Hello using my laptop's fingerprint sensor. However, I sign into Windows using a domain account, not a local or Microsoft account. Apparently, Windows Hello is not enabled by default for domain accounts. I am curious as to how I can enable it. Should I check the Group Policy on my Domain Controller? If so, where would I find it in Group Policy? I have already tried enabling "Enable PIN sign-on" in Group Policy, but that did not work. My laptop is running Windows 10 1909 and my DC is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

Jonathan Heitz, May 15, 2020

2. Unable to use Windows Hello on Domain account

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to setup Windows Hello for a Domain account on Surface Pro 4. I appreciate your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to refer the article
    Configure Windows Hello for Business Policy settings
    and see if that helps.

However, as the issue is happening on domain environment, I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    , where we have expertise and support professionals well equipped with the knowledge on setting Windows Hello on a Domain environment.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 15, 2020
  3. changari Win User
    Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, May 15, 2020
  4. Windows Hello With Domain Account

Windows 'domain'?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern in the Microsoft Community. Follow these steps to find the domain name:

• Press the Windows key + R then choose System.
    • The name of your computer will be listed as the Full computer name.
    • The domain your computer belongs to will be listed as the Domain. If, instead of Domain, you see Workgroup, your computer
      is not a member of any domain.

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Marvin Barc, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows Hello With Domain Account

1. Windows Hello With Domain Account - Similar Threads - Hello Domain Account

2. Windows Hello Unavailable for Domain Managed Account but working for local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello Unavailable for Domain Managed Account but working for local account: My new company-owned laptop does not have the option to sign in using Windows Hello -- Fingerprint, Pin and Facial Recognition are all unavailable. Error Messages say: "This option is currently unavailable" "Something went wrong. Try again later". Note: I don't want/need...
  3. Windows Hello Unavailable for Domain Managed Account but working for local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Unavailable for Domain Managed Account but working for local account: My new company-owned laptop does not have the option to sign in using Windows Hello -- Fingerprint, Pin and Facial Recognition are all unavailable. Error Messages say: "This option is currently unavailable" "Something went wrong. Try again later". Note: I don't want/need...
  4. Windows Hello on my domain not working anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello on my domain not working anymore: Hello,I'm facing an issue with sign-in options in my Windows 10 devices on my domain. I've made changes in my Group Policy Management to comply with some parameters to enable Windows Hello. I can't create an alternative sign-in mode such as PIN or fingerprint to login into...
  5. Windows Hello on my domain not working anymore

Windows Hello on my domain not working anymore: Hello,I'm facing an issue with sign-in options in my Windows 10 devices on my domain. I've made changes in my Group Policy Management to comply with some parameters to enable Windows Hello. I can't create an alternative sign-in mode such as PIN or fingerprint to login into...
  6. Windows Domain Account ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Domain Account ?: Hi, Ive purchased a laptop from eBay but to be safe I decided to put a fresh windows on it, I completely wiped the only drive (C) and it goes through setup etc then presents me with a company logon! If I restart setup and dont connect to a network then its ok and windows is...
  7. Windows Hello when logging into domain account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello when logging into domain account: I have the option to use Windows Hello for facial rec or fingerprint on a local pc account but I don't have the option to use it on a domain account. I get the message that the option is unavailable. I have already run the gpedit settings and regedit to enable...
  8. Windows Hello Face Recognition not working for the local admin account of a non-domain...

Windows Hello Face Recognition not working for the local admin account of a non-domain...: I work in the IT Support of a company and after a Windows update the Admin-Account is no longer able to setup face recognition, event viewer gives me an bioenrollmenthost.exe error. I did a reinstall, update drivers, DISM, sfc/scan, deleting stuff from WinBioDatabase,...
  9. Unable to use Windows Hello on Domain account

Unable to use Windows Hello on Domain account: Windows Hello not working under domain account. I have tried the guide below but no luck. Kindly share if any solution available for this issue. https://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2018/04/cannot-enable-windows-hello-on-domain-joined-pc-with-windows-10-1709.html OS: Windows...
  10. Surface Pro 4 - Windows Hello not working for Domain Account

Surface Pro 4 - Windows Hello not working for Domain Account: Windows Hello not working under domain account. I have tried the guide below but no luck. Kindly share if any solution available for this issue. https://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2018/04/cannot-enable-windows-hello-on-domain-joined-pc-with-windows-10-1709.html OS: Windows...