Windows 10: Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview

Discus and support Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Starting with the Redstone insider previews, my HP mediasmart home server works for automatic backups, and I can open the server console to manage the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nvaneck, Feb 11, 2016.

1. nvaneck Win User

Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview

Starting with the Redstone insider previews, my HP mediasmart home server works for automatic backups, and I can open the server console to manage the server.

But it is impossible to map a folder on the WHS to a drive.; none of the shared folders on the WHS are visible, and the homes server is not visible under network.

Troubleshooting indicates a missing protocol, but has no solution. Solutions suggested in other threads in this forum don't work either. Everything works fine on the no-preview PCs on the network. I am concerned that MS is abandoning the WHS and am worried about future official updates.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

:)

nvaneck, Feb 11, 2016

2. Active Directoy "Home Folder" not mapping consistently Win10 and Server 2012

I'd like to start by pointing out that this issue is specifically with Windows 10 Pro on client machines and Server 2012 on our DCs and File-Print servers.

Users here in my business have been complaining about issues with the Home Folder not consistently mapping. It's affecting several different users.

They have many mapped drives, all of which are mapped via Group Policy but their Home folder "Q:" in this case is implemented through Active Directorys User Home Folder through the path
    L:
    \\fileprintserver\Personal_Shares\username .

On logging in (usually first thing in the morning) the users Q drive may fail to map, that is to say it's totally missing. Sometimes other drives are marked with the red X and disconnected but you can simply open these and reconnect them but the Q drive
    is missing altogether. The users must restart their machine to get the Q drive to then map successfully.

The reason we map users home folder using AD rather than something through a GPO is that we use Citrix for remote users and we found using GPOs to manage their home folders resulted in some strange behaviour.

Nathan Fagan, Feb 11, 2016
  3. WHS 2011 Connector Fails with Windows 10

I have this problem with the Redstone previews. It looks like MS is abandoning WHS.

Troubleshooting indicates a missing protocol, but has no solution. Homegroups are not a good replacement for this; I've tried, had many problems setting it up; finally got it set up but still have problems. When mapping a drive, it sees the other PC but
    then requests a credential that is unknown--MS account and local account credentials fail.

nvaneck(2), Feb 11, 2016
  4. Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview

Mark Phelps, Feb 11, 2016
  5. nvaneck Win User
    Ok, no future development, but why disable it in the next release of Windows 10 (Redstone)? If so, it's an annoying disservice to us home users.

nvaneck, Feb 12, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with WHS. It is that Redstone is still in Alpha stage and that there is a lot of stuff that has not been incorporated in it. It explains this in all of the information related to being a part of that program. When it does release, then it will be in Beta, which all of us will get to keep telling Microsoft to fix their OS.

A lot of stuff is getting cut out of Microsoft 10 Redstone, that is right now in the latest rollout. Microsoft cuts features from Windows 10 Redstone update to meet deadline | Tech | Life & Style | Daily Express

Windows 10 Redstone: 1,200 changes between build 11099 and build 11102 WinBeta

Personally everyone would really like Microsoft to quit screwing around with the OS, trying to reinvent the wheel. they need to be concentrating on the problems that currently hound Windows 10.

bro67, Feb 12, 2016
  7. nvaneck Win User
    Yes,; I keep hoping they'll get this to work, but after several Redstone updates, it's not looking good.

nvaneck, Feb 12, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Tell me about it. It is like trying to fit a Big Block into a Pinto.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview - Similar Threads - home server folder

2. Home Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home Server: can anyone help please?i have a pc at home that i want to use as a server with up to 5 people gaining access to. how would i do thAT?aNY HELP IS APPRECIATED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-server/4282b681-86e3-4bd9-a5fc-787ed6d6be63
  3. Folder Preview Options (Windows 10 Home Edition) 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Preview Options (Windows 10 Home Edition) 20H2: I Have Audiobooks on my Laptop saved in a Folder, each individual Track is stored in the Folder of the Title of the Book as shown in the Screenshot. My Question is I would like to add the Book Synopsis as a separate file to the Folder so when it is highlighted it shows up as...
  4. Home Server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Home Server: I don't know if this is possible or not, but I had an idea. I have multiple computers in my home. Each servers a particular purpose. Sometimes when I am on one computer I would like to access some of the programs that are on a different computer. I was thinking it would be...
  5. Unable to access shared folders on Windows Home Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared folders on Windows Home Server: I've just plugged in an old home server that hasn't been used in years, and am able to access the files while remoting into the server, but I cannot access them from my desktop computer itself over the network. When I attempt to open the shared folders on my desktop computer...
  6. keyboard mapping problem with windows terminal preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard mapping problem with windows terminal preview: I have been running Windows Terminal Preview for a while now and it works fairly well. However I have noticed a keyboard mapping problem when I try to use less.exe from a cmd.exe session. When I do something like "less -MN *.txt" the first files comes up nicely. However...
  7. Mapping to Debian Server

Mapping to Debian Server: For years I've had shares from my XP64 machine mapped to my Debian server with the following fstab entries. It's a lot faster transferring files between machines using cli and I don't have any of the windows protection limitations. Code: //192.168.0.XXX/Archive /archive cifs...
  8. Windows Server 2016 mapped drives

Windows Server 2016 mapped drives: I recently installed two HP ML350 Gen10 servers for two different clients. The servers are running Server 2016 Standard edition. Both environments have around 5 PC with Win10 and Win7. Both sites are having issues when accessing mapped drives. Random times throughout the...
  9. Map a server to a drive letter

Map a server to a drive letter: Hi Guys, One of my clients ( I do a bit of freelancing) wants to map this server---------> The Eye | File Listing to a drive letter. he claims he uses it frequently and finds it much more easier as a drive letter.. I after a lot of researching did not find any solution.......
  10. Windows Server Technical Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Server Technical Preview: At the heart of the Microsoft Cloud OS vision, Windows Server brings Microsoft’s experience delivering global-scale cloud services into your infrastructure. Windows Server Technical Preview provides a wide range of new and enhanced features and capabilities spanning server...