Windows 10: Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine

Discus and support Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there For those running VM's and have difficulty getting printers to work properly on the HOST WINDOWS machine, you can often get the device to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 10, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine

Hi there
    For those running VM's and have difficulty getting printers to work properly on the HOST WINDOWS machine, you can often get the device to work by connecting it up to a LINUX VM and sharing it with WINDOWS via samba.

Have a look at Post 3 in this thread where I just couldn't get an HP Deskjet 3520 to print in any shape or form after the latest W10 CU (1703) update with the cumulative extra updates applied - even though Windows saw the device and said Printed OK -- print just disappeared !!!

In the post I've also given the entries you need to make in the SAMBA configuration (SMB.CONF) file.

HP Deskjet 3520 doesn't print on W10 CU update Solved - Windows 10 Forums

On the Linux system the trick is to ensure the CUPS printer (Linux printing system) is enabled as RAW so the Windows system will do all the rendering -- for example if you need to print an EXCEL spreadsheet and ensure also on the Linux system that the printer is marked as SHARED -- there's usually a hardware configuration section where you can set this -- depends on the distro what it actually looks like.

In my case.

Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

The most persistent news I have on these issues is that my Linux Samba server still does not show in the Network Neighborhood on the Windows 10 machines.

My home network (Workgroup) consists of 2 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 Surface Pro 3 all on the latest Windows 10 1511 build. And 1 Linux machine that I upgraded this week to Fedora 23 and Samba 4.3.1.

The Linux machine also serves as the WINS server and a VPN server. Thus offering remote access to the Windows based shares.

After the upgrading of the Windows machines several weird and peculiar connectivity problems turned up. Machines not showing, not able to connect to shares, printers (wired to the Linux machine) not reachable. Long waits on restoring persistent shares mapping
    to drives.

I'd subsequently checked, reset and/or reconfigured all networking related settings like hostnames, workgroup name, protocol settings, etc.

End of the story is that everything is working as it should without any serious issues.

From the Linux machine I can access all the Windows based hosts and shares again. And all Windows 10 machines are shown to be part of the Windows Network.

Windows 10 machines now do show in each others Network Neighborhood. Persistent share to drive mappings work as a charm again. No gibberish output for nbtstat -r anymore. Also the Linux host, share and printers can be reached by name from all my machines
    again.

I did not disable any SMB version setting anywhere. I do even expect everything is communicating based on the latest SMB v3.11 level which is supported by the now installed Samba 4.3.1.

Perhaps here a huge benefit having a home made Linux based 'NAS' which gives maximum flexibility in upgrading and configuring. Could be much different from NAS devices with much older Samba releases embedded.

As said. The only persisting minor issue is the Linux Samba server not being visible in the Windows 10 Network Neighborhood.

HenkWittingen, May 10, 2017
  3. Sri2909 Win User
    Windows 10 unable to receive printer connection from linux RHEL 5

I'already share a connected printer from a windows 10 machine and its working fine with all windows machine and linux machine. When come for printing all windows machine able to print but linux could't. Its that any special permission need to set for windows
    10 to enable shared printer works from linux machine.

Secondly, i have try the same method using windows xp machine. Everything working fine and smooth both linux and windows able to print.

Sri2909, May 10, 2017
Thema:

Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine

1. Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine - Similar Threads - HOST accessing shared

2. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  3. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  4. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  6. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  7. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Reinstall windows on Linux machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall windows on Linux machine: Hello, long time Linux user I have not spent much time on windows in years but I have a new cnc machine that I will be better off with windows on. So I have a laptop that is perfect for this it is a 14 inch Lenovo think pad. I removed windows and I did not back any of it up....
  9. Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder: When I try to map a drive with Windows 10, Windows Explorer doesn't see any of the exported network folders. There is nothing under "Network". Another Windows 10 laptop I have can map these drives so I know the partitions are shared out properly shared and there are no...
  10. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers: I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become...