Windows 10: Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Discus and support Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 24, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Hi there

I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host.

However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to the VM as the Windows HOST rejects the HDD wanting me to format it !!. There's 2.7 TB of media files on it - I want to test running media server in a VM.

Anybody know how to bypass the Windows nag prompt about the HDD and be able to attach it direct to the VM.

(The other way round is no problem -- never a problem loading NTFS HDD's on to Linux machines -- however the NTFS file system is SLOW compared with XFS -- on USB3 device on Native windows transfer rate of 1 TB of files from fast NTFS HDD to NTFS USB3 device is max 82 Mib/s - average for whole transfer. On same machine with Native Linux and XFS to XFS (using same HDD's and USB 3 port avg speed is 350 mib/s !! -- HUGE difference !!!).

Note I have to have a Windows Host for this --I know I could run Linux VM's from a Linux Host but in this case I do have to use a Windows Host as that will be the destination system at the end of testing.

BTW I'm running VMWARE workstation 12.1 on W10 Pro Host.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 24, 2016

2. External Hard Drive not in File Explorer

Plug in the drive and then boot the VM, although there's a possibility that the VM layer is causing issues so look at the host hardware that is accessible to the VM.

Alternately do as I recommended above i.e. "boot from a Linux Live USB/DVD with the drive already attached to your PC and powered on". That way you're booting directly into Linux and your drive may be accessible. No guarantees though.

RobertJWin, Jul 24, 2016
  3. AlWilcox Win User
    Failure to install on SSD

1. Yes. Partition created and formatted. I am currently using the same drive for Linux, and it works fine. Tried to reformat and load Windows prior to Linux, but Windows cant find the drive.

2. Yes. Would like to use a local hard drive rather than VM drive for data storage and access. My backup drive is a USB.

3. USB issue is specific to Linux with Oracle VM.

AlWilcox, Jul 24, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Not a direct solution but wouldn't it work if drive was formatted as exFAT instead which can be read or written on Linux (may need to add support).

Perhaps putting a small fat 32 partition on drive so you can get drive mounted in vm, and then use tools in vm to read xfs partitions might work?

cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for the suggestion -- but I don't want to do that as the HDD is actually a "2 port" hornttek HDD-->USB3 enclosure with 2 X 3 TB drives already arranged via the boxes own internal physical RAID controller (Computer BIOS shows as Single HDD). This would mean re-formatting it. Note this adapter comes either in JBOD version or one that has RAID as well --I've got the RAID version - brilliant.

I think this method though could work although this is from VirtualBox

How to access USB Drive in VirtualBox guest OS?

I'll see if there's some "Pass thru" that I can use in VMware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Not sure I understand. VMWARE does this automatically as far as I can tell already.

When I insert a flash drive or usb hard drive, VMWARE automatically picks it up if VMWARE window has the focus, and you cannot see the usb drive in the host OS but of course the host OS must be able to recognise the usb drive first to enable host to pass usb to VMWARE.

cereberus, Jul 25, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the problem is Windows 10 comes up with a popup boc containing the message "This drive must be formatted before you can use it". If you cancel the popup and don't format somehow the USB drive isn't recognized and hence the VM won't see it.

I'm playing around with the configuration to see if I can get this as a "Pass thru" device -- for example I've been able to load a mini disc driver on to an XP VM even though there's no Mini-disc drivers on Windows 10. (Mini-Discs - the old recording stuff -- still great for "boot legging" high quality audio recordings at gigs etc- much better than mobile phone internal recorder).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

re-installed vmware WKS 12, updated to 12.1 via automatic update -- now working fine -- no problem attaching HDD's with Linux Fs.

PLEX on Linux VM working fine and serving to remote TV's / Chromecasts using Linux HDD's. Host Windows 10 x-64 PRO.

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM [​IMG]

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 26, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - I am running 12.1. This does pass through as I though automatically - I thought 12.0 did but hey it's a .0 release Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM :)

cereberus, Jul 26, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

WKS 12.0 should also have worked - but 12.1 is fine.

Using the Linux VM as the multi media server with the Linux formatted HDD's is so much better than the NTFS file system and using PLEX on Windows. Running also another Audio server (Logitech squeezebox server -- also works 100% too.

With the VM on an SSD speed is brilliant. No probs whatsoever. File serving other data from another Hornttek external USB drive from Linux is fine -- SAMBA beats Windows Networking any which way you care to name it - and it works straight out of the box (OK slight edit in Samba.conf but not difficult).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM - Similar Threads - HOST attach Linux

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  4. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  5. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  6. Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts

Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts: Hi there I/O performance is often a problem with Virtual Machines - especially if you are using programs like Vmware with "Virtual" Formatted HDD's such as vdmk - especially with "Bog standard" Spinners.. A better solution by far is if you have the space and 2 HDD's...
  7. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  8. Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host)

Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host): Hi there. some of you running Linux VM's might want to be able to UNRAR some RAR files directly in Linux without having to access the files on your Windows system and extract / view via 7Z or other programs. Other types of archives such as zip etc are usually managed by...
  9. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...
  10. 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!: Hi there after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and Internet connectivity on the Windows HOST - but a Linux VM I'm running on the same laptop has absolutely NO problem connecting to...