Windows 10: "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s

Discus and support "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 1909 Freshly installed less than a week ago. Noticed that every 5 seconds the blue circle or hourglass (depending on mouse pointer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glaucus1, Feb 1, 2020.

1. glaucus1 Win User

"Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s

Windows 10 Pro 1909

Freshly installed less than a week ago. Noticed that every 5 seconds the blue circle or hourglass (depending on mouse pointer size) would flash. Tried uninstalling a bunch of recently installed programs including some built-in programs included with Windows that I wasn't using. Tried killing a bunch of processes. No success. Disabled all non-Microsoft services and all Startup items (including the Microsoft ones), and the problem went away.

I narrowed it down to a Startup item from Microsoft called "Windows host process (Rundll32)." Enabling all services and Startup items while leaving this one disabled fixes problem. Enabling this one item while disabling all other Startup items and services brings the problem back.

Trying to figure out what is wrong with Windows host process (Rundll32), it seems like it is probably not the problem in and of itself but is simply an intermediary for something else that is causing the problem. I found a recommendation to run "Autoruns" to see what is behind it. I have no idea what I'm looking for in "Autoruns." There's nothing listed anywhere that obviously matches "Windows host process (Rundll32)." Otherwise, the "Logon" tab seems to roughly match the other items in the Startup list. So if I go through all of the items on the "Logon" tab, and I see that there are some "n/a" entries that seem to be 32 and 64 bit versions of "mscories.dll," and if I click on them the details mention the 32 and 64 bit versions of Rundll32.exe. Searching for info on "mscories.dll" seems to suggest it is related to .NET framework which is again most likely just another middleman for whatever is the real culprit.

At this point, I have no idea what to do next. This rabbit hole is super deep, and it seems to be one middleman after another. Having the hourglass or blue circle flash every 5 seconds is something I cannot unsee now that I've seen it, and it is extremely distracting.

:)

glaucus1, Feb 1, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows host process rundll32 running 19 instances

That is certainly not normal, you will need to find out what processes are running on rundll32.exe

Rundll32 is just a host for other processes to run, to find out exactly what is running on this process, Click HERE to download the free ProcessExplorer
    from TechNet

The app will download in a zip file (approx 1.84mb), unzip it and run the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit) for your system by right clicking the exe and choosing 'Run as Administrator'

You’ll want to choose File - Show Details for All Processes to make sure that you’re seeing everything

Hover over the rundll32.exe in the list, you’ll see a tooltip with the details of what it actually is:

"Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s 46b7762b-f570-4f67-91d6-cdbc93658a92.png

Alternatively you can right-click, choose Properties

Then take a look at the Image tab to see the full pathname that is being launched

You can see the Parent process, which in this case is the Windows shell (explorer.exe), indicating that it was likely launched from a shortcut or startup item.

"Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s 5cbd5aa3-2611-42a6-887d-265e98758083.png

In general, processes running on rundll32.exe can be stopped from running when Windows starts up as follows:

• Press Windows + R keys together to open the run dialog
    • Type msconfig and hit enter
    • On the Startup Tab will be a list of processes that start with Windows
    • Check the box marked Hide all Microsoft Services'
    • Look down through the remaining list for items containing 'rundll32'
    • If you find any erroneous entries, uncheck them . . .
    • BE CAREFUL not to uncheck items like nVidia items which sometimes use rundll32

"Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s a2575ab0-bcc0-4c79-abbd-5f502fa66ace.jpg

DaveM121, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Ran all of the above malware removal tools for Windows 10. "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" error message only occurs when I try to view jpegs in Windows Photo Viewer. How can I restore my ability to view jpegs?

bayareauser, Feb 1, 2020
  4. "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s

Hundreds of "Windows host process (Rundll32)"

For a while now, if I look at my Task Manager, I'm greeted with literally hundreds of "Windows host process (Rundll32)" processes. They all only take up 0% CPU, 0.2-0.3 MB of Memory, 0 MB/s Disk, and 0 Mbps Network each. They also all come from "C:\Windows\System32".
    Restarting my computer doesn't work either. My computer works completely fine with all these processes running, but it's still cluttering my Task Manager and taking up a few hundred MB of my memory out of 16GB of memory.

Imgur

Though, is there any way to fix this. Also, what's causing this to happen in the first place?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum topic.***

Little Whispers, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

"Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s

1. "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s - Similar Threads - host process Rundll32

2. R Click Causes Hourglass?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    R Click Causes Hourglass?: So I just got a new win 10 pro computer, but after a week or so I'm having a right click problem. It causes the hourglass, a 10 second + delay before it stops. It happens with files in folders and the desktop.What can I do to troubleshoot this??...
  3. R Click Causes Hourglass?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    R Click Causes Hourglass?: So I just got a new win 10 pro computer, but after a week or so I'm having a right click problem. It causes the hourglass, a 10 second + delay before it stops. It happens with files in folders and the desktop.What can I do to troubleshoot this??...
  4. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  5. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  6. Process host windows Rundll32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Process host windows Rundll32: Hello, I'm having some trouble with updating and uninstalling programs on my PC with Windows 10 as lately a message occur telling me that "Process host windows rundll32" is running and therefore I cannot update/uninstall the program. I've already searched on internet to try...
  7. What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?

in Windows 10 News
    What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A lot of Windows users have doubts about whether the rundll32.exe process that they see in the Task Manager is a genuine process or a virus. The reason behind these inquiries is the paranoia created by fraud tech support companies [...] This post What is...
  8. Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run: Hi all, I'm using a pretty new laptop and several times, a User Account Control popup has come up asking if I want to allow an app to make changes to my device. The app is called Windows host process (Rundll32). I am not doing anything that I would expect to trigger such a...
  9. Two 'Windows host process (Rundll32)' on Startup tab in Task manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Two 'Windows host process (Rundll32)' on Startup tab in Task manager: As the title: I noticed Windows startup was slow, so I wanted to disable some startup apps, and noticed there are 2 Windows host process (Rundll32) - each of them has Startup impact: medium Is one of them a malware? 69586
  10. Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?: Why is there a Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup tab in Task Manager? I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 default action, or if it came from some program I installed. Shouldn't rundll32.exe start automatically if it's needed? It's not a virus, I'm...